Jarre - Planet Jarre (compilation with new downloadable 5.1 mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a silly format to include in a 2018 box set. As if we all have our cassette players hooked up to our main systems in this day and age.

Jarre, get a grip. Your music needs to be on LOSSLESS BD~A in 5.1 or Atmos.

I saw him live a few months ago and respect him immensely. The cassettes are an artifact and novelty. Not too far from the marbles in the Pink Floyd boxes. There is no question in my mind that there was supposed to be a DVD/Blu-ray in this set with the 5.1 mixes (the download includes an "intro" video with no audio that would be the loading screen on a digital media and is meaningless in this context. and the Dolby Digital+ encoding was obviously intended for a DVD). Someone said no to it, but thankfully allowed the download.

I saw him live a few months ago and respect him immensely. The cassettes are an artifact and novelty. Not too far from the marbles in the Pink Floyd boxes. There is no question in my mind that there was supposed to be a DVD/Blu-ray in this set with the 5.1 mixes (the download includes an "intro" video with no audio that would be the loading screen on a digital media and is meaningless in this context. and the Dolby Digital+ encoding was obviously intended for a DVD). Someone said no to it, but thankfully allowed the download.

I meant NO disrespect to Jarre but just questioned the ludicrousness of including an archaic format like cassettes instead of lavishing the money on higher res formats. Just as I question the inclusion of marbles, coasters and scarves in Box Sets. Cute but SO unnecessary!

Such a silly format to include in a 2018 box set. As if we all have our cassette players hooked up to our main systems in this day and age.

Jarre, get a grip. Your music needs to be on LOSSLESS BD~A in 5.1 or Atmos.

There might be (I say might be) some Jarre fans from the old days whose old cars still have a car tape player and listen to tapes on the road.
But those people need the plastic boxes of the cassette tapes for portability and protection! Or do the bright people at Sony think that drivers should carry around the Deluxe Fan Box in their cars?

Hi,
I am trying to extract the 5.1 audio to FLAC/WAV from the MP4 files which seems to be kind of hard. The files contain video & audio information. Did anybody succeed?
Jarre.jpg

Hi,
I am trying to extract the 5.1 audio to FLAC/WAV from the MP4 files which seems to be kind of hard. The files contain video & audio information. Did anybody succeed?
View attachment 36790
Looks like you well may be the only person in the forum that purchased it. I'm still trying to convince myself to buy it, it's in my search list on Discogs, looking for a box with an unused download voucher.
Perhaps you can convert to mkv and then use mkvextract to get the audio

By the way, did you listen to Equinoxe Infinity? I like it quite a lot, it's much better than I expected

Planet Jarre was on offer for 43 Euro on Amazon.de, so I bought it. A double CD, a print, two Music Casettes and the download card (all content 48KHz/24 + the bonus surround in MP4. The price I paid was just barely justified :)

I purchased the new Equinoxe Deluxe box set as well, actually. Really nice package but did not have the time listening to it yet.

Which tool would you recommend for converting MP4 to MKV?

Planet Jarre was on offer for 43 Euro on Amazon.de, so I bought it. A double CD, a print, two Music Casettes and the download card (all content 48KHz/24 + the bonus surround in MP4. The price I paid was just barely justified :)

I purchased the new Equinoxe Deluxe box set as well, actually. Really nice package but did not have the time listening to it yet.

Which tool would you recommend for converting MP4 to MKV?
Try this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mp42mkvac3/
Although I think the conversion can be done with mkvmerge tool, but I'd need to check in my laptop (I can give it a try tomorrow if you want)

I did it by using Handbrake to convert the videos to MKV's with flac audio, then extracting the flac audio with eac3to and going from there.

I did it by using Handbrake to convert the videos to MKV's with flac audio, then extracting the flac audio with eac3to and going from there.

Thanks for all your support! The tools might be great but they looked to complicated :) I did the extraction now with Pazera Audio Extractor (option: extract original audio), renamed the audio files from '.eac3' to '.ac3' and converted to flac with Audio Muxer.

process v.simple, take the little plastic card inside the box, peel off the film over the code, enter code at the site in the url provided.. blah blah blah.. and hey presto 800 MBs later, you've got a dozen Dolby Digital Plus mp4's, which playback in VLC no problemo! seemples..! :LOL::smokin

khNtErK.jpeg

pBEIY1A.jpeg

yI4QpTm.jpeg

Are all the CD tracks included as surround downloads, or just some?

i think the 5.1's (12 tracks in their own 5th downloadable zip on that webpage) are separate bonus selections distinct from the 2 x CDs?

the 5.1 track titles are:

1.) Circus,
2.) Equinoxe 2,
3.) Equinoxe 5,
4.) Exit with Edward Snowden,
5.) Oxygene 15,
6.) Oxygene 17,
7.) Oxygene 2,
8.) Stardust with Armin VanBuuren,
9.) Switched On Leon with The Orb,
10.) Coachella Opening,
11.) Souvenir Of China,
12.) Zoolookologie.

edit: i'm unlikely to play the CDs and haven't downloaded the non-5.1 content yet but if/when i do i'll report back.

Last edited:
Back