Jeff Beck Group & Birds of Fire - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACDs (August 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening to Birds of Fire, Track 10 "Resolution"... Does anybody else hear an anomaly at 1:42? Like a skip or something?

Now I have an excuse to open mine and play it. Will do tonight.. And check this.

It's limited to the SACD Surround Sound track, not the two Stereo SACD tracks.
Since the tapes are different (Stereo and Surround Sound), it could indeed be limited to that version of the album.

I'm finding that it's pretty minor on the SACD players here (Oppo and EMM Labs).

I've mentioned it to Marshall at Audio Fidelity and Gus at Super Audio Center.
I'm sure they will have a listen to check it out.

It's no big deal to me; the disc sounds great and I'm loving it... I just wasn't sure if it was only a problem with my disc. I can't stop listening to this thing!

It's limited to the SACD Surround Sound track, not the two Stereo SACD tracks.
Since the tapes are different (Stereo and Surround Sound), it could indeed be limited to that version of the album.

I'm finding that it's pretty minor on the SACD players here (Oppo and EMM Labs).

I've mentioned it to Marshall at Audio Fidelity and Gus at Super Audio Center.
I'm sure they will have a listen to check it out.

I have a version of Birds of Fire sourced from the quad LP.

On it, there's no glitch at or near 1:42 of 'Resolution'.

Can you confirm you hear the glitch over DSD and PCM? I have had trouble with AF before over DSD, but switching to PCM (which I don't mind doing because I hear NO difference) the glitch is gone.

I had the same issue with Supersessions, my Pioneer amp didn't like the DSD signal when it got close to its absolute 'maximum'. DSD conversion algorithms (or single bit DSD DACs for that matter) can have issues with stability with 'hot' levels so my amp blanked the signal rather than risk it (it should have used a better algorithm!). There is an inherent stability issue with DSD convertors when presented with 'hot' signals, there are a number of digital techniques to work around this. I switched to always produce PCM o/p on the Denon player, and its algorithm dealt with it with no problem - no effect on the sound quality. Can't wait for my copy of "Birds Of Fire" to arrive, always loved this album.

Yes, Supersession was the album I had trouble with over DSD. After Googling and finding others heard the glitch in the same exact spot, I took the prevailing suggestion over switching DSD to PCM output (OPPO BDP-83).

I'll try switching my OPPO output to PCM tonight and see if the glitch is still there. Thanks for the heads up!

I just checked it out in DSD and PCM and they both sound the same to these ears.
Are you talking about the big on-beat - the big cymbal hit at the end of that long drum fill? To me, it does not sound like a glitch. A glitch, to my understanding would be a drop-out of sound, lurching forward in time (missing music) or something like that.
I do hear something "funny" there. But maybe it was just a very voluminous hit on the crash that "saturated" the master tape? Maybe it was even a tape splice? Or just a worn spot on the tape? I guess I'm saying it doesn't sound like a digital error to me.

It's no big deal to me; the disc sounds great and I'm loving it... I just wasn't sure if it was only a problem with my disc. I can't stop listening to this thing!

Just got it in the mail today. 'One Word' is definitely the standout track for me. I love this disc. If there's any more quad to be had from these guys, I hope we get it...

I just checked it out in DSD and PCM and they both sound the same to these ears.
Are you talking about the big on-beat - the big cymbal hit at the end of that long drum fill? To me, it does not sound like a glitch. A glitch, to my understanding would be a drop-out of sound, lurching forward in time (missing music) or something like that.
I do hear something "funny" there. But maybe it was just a very voluminous hit on the crash that "saturated" the master tape? Maybe it was even a tape splice? Or just a worn spot on the tape? I guess I'm saying it doesn't sound like a digital error to me.

I agree that it doesn't sound digital; that's why I originally described it as an "anamoly" because I wasn't really sure what else to call it! Anyways, it's really not a distraction when listening, unlike the glitch on Aqualung's "Cross-Eyed Mary" (which seems to get my attention every time!).

I agree that it doesn't sound digital; that's why I originally described it as an "anamoly" because I wasn't really sure what else to call it! Anyways, it's really not a distraction when listening, unlike the glitch on Aqualung's "Cross-Eyed Mary" (which seems to get my attention every time!).

Try the glitch at 1:21 of We Hold On - Rush - Snakes & Arrows
MP3, CD & LP mixes
The entire track lurches forward - extremely jarring
MVI 2.0 & 5.1 mixes were clean, as is the HDTracks download

I'm gonna be getting some more gift card money from amazon soon by selling off an old book of mine.
Part of the money is going towards the remainder of the current price on "Rattle That Lock", but the rest will likely be put towards one of these new AF releases, and I'll most likely go with "Birds of Fire".
I love the title track!

:)

Listening to Birds of Fire, Track 10 "Resolution"... Does anybody else hear an anomaly at 1:42? Like a skip or something?

I want to do some more listening to be sure, but.....I hear it. It sounds like maybe a very faint quick dropout. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I hear it on the SQ LP as well. My setup has become a bit of a pain to switch back and forth at the moment (I rely on the switched outlet on the back of the Denon to operate properly in order to be able to switch from home theater to quad, and that outlet has decided to stay on at all times today making me have to reach back and pull the plug out to switch to quad mode...way to go Denon), but after doing it a few times I think I'm hearing it on the LP as well, but, I'd want to maybe record them in and have them back to back to switch back and forth a few times to be sure I'm hearing the same thing.

I want to do some more listening to be sure, but.....I hear it. It sounds like maybe a very faint quick dropout. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I hear it on the SQ LP as well. My setup has become a bit of a pain to switch back and forth at the moment (I rely on the switched outlet on the back of the Denon to operate properly in order to be able to switch from home theater to quad, and that outlet has decided to stay on at all times today making me have to reach back and pull the plug out to switch to quad mode...way to go Denon), but after doing it a few times I think I'm hearing it on the LP as well, but, I'd want to maybe record them in and have them back to back to switch back and forth a few times to be sure I'm hearing the same thing.

One thing I didn't think to check yesterday is the stereo layer on the SACD. I'll do that when I get home.
I just listened to whatever stereo version is on Youtube and I'm not convinced I hear it there, FWIW.
lol

If it's a real dropout, waveform view will show it very clearly.

It's pretty subtle. In fact, I missed it when listening to my SACD copy here until you mentioned it and I listened much closer.
An excellent Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity. As is The Jeff Beck Group on Multichannel SACD. Lovin' both of them here! :)

I love the sound of The Jeff Beck Group SACD... very rich sound; the bottom end is full and the highs are clear and crisp (in a good way!). The surround mix is discrete; instrument placement varies (for some songs the drums are in front, for others in the surrounds). The music itself is great; standouts for me so far are "Ice Cream Cakes", "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You", "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You", "Going Down", and "Definitely Maybe". Another winner from start to finish!

It's pretty subtle. In fact, I missed it when listening to my SACD copy here until you mentioned it and I listened much closer.
An excellent Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity. As is The Jeff Beck Group on Multichannel SACD. Lovin' both of them here! :)

I didn't have time yesterday - can anyone confirm whether the "anomaly" is present on the stereo layer?

For what it's worth, listening on headphones to the CD layer, I've heard small dropouts on 4 different tracks so far. It doesn't bother me. The master tape must be in a slightly rough shape.

Back