Jeff Beck's "Wired"....now available as multi-channel hybrid SACD from Japan Sony

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$11.77 according to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Interesting way to look at this. I remember paying $3-$4 for vinyl in those days.

Stereo and Quad reels were running $11.98 and $12.98 for the first rate new releases around 1975.

So this $50 is really not that bad of a deal. We are just used to the AF prices which are low in comparison.

Stereo and Quad reels were running $11.98 and $12.98 for the first rate new releases around 1975.

So this $50 is really not that bad of a deal. We are just used to the AF prices which are low in comparison.

The current price for SONY Japan's Rough 'n Ready is about $44 + s/h which really isn't that bad but considering that the average price I pay for AF's stereo/mch SACDs is about $21 delivered, I suppose it's a bit steep in comparison. At least, for now, they're definitive editions which probably would never be released stateside (remember the US QUAD masters for WIRED were 'supposedly' missing [?].

My CHAMPION hi res physical disc OF THE YEAR [price~wise] still remains the BD~A/RBCD set of Nosound's 'Scintilla'.......about $11 delivered! And this from a relatively small company......so if THEY can do it for THAT price....imagine the possibilities?:banana:

Then there's the flipside: if that is equivalent of $50 now, maybe that was part of the equation for failure of quad in the 1970s.

8-Track carts and SQ/CD-4 LPs were only $1.00 more per title than the stereo configuration.

Oh but those Q-reels are the (nearly lost) "sea scrolls" of vintage surround, worth every penny of that 1975 fifty dollar bill.

There are only so many quad Wired, Paranoid, and Court and Sparks, before you are reduced to Neil Diamond, Andy Williams, and Lynn Anderson.

So a cool crisp fifty for the A-List titles is fine by me while the getting is good.

We are now finished with Jeff Beck's quad mixes.

I just ordered tonight from CD Japan: Http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10004 and with shipping it came to $48 dollars (5500 yen) Here is the listing: Wired - SACD Multi-ch Hybrid Edition - [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Limited Release](SACD)
Item# EICP-10004

And as far as I know, this is the only place where it can be purchased...at the moment.

You know whose presence I hear a lot on this record?

Tommy Bolin!!!...

Don't know if it was "cross pollination" ...Jeff influenced Tommy (obviously) , but it's interesting hearing Tommy's influence on Jeff...this was a year after Tommy died...

You know whose presence I hear a lot on this record?

Tommy Bolin!!!...

Don't know if it was "cross pollination" ...Jeff influenced Tommy (obviously) , but it's interesting hearing Tommy's influence on Jeff...this was a year after Tommy died...

Well spotted.
From Guitar Player:

One person who, after hearing the album, experienced an epiphany that significantly altered the course of his career was Jeff Beck. “Spectrum changed my whole musical outlook,” he once explained. “(It) gave me new life at the time, on top of the Mahavishnu records. It represented a whole area that was as exciting to me as when I first heard ‘Hound Dog’ by Elvis Presley. They were so inspirational to me that I started to adopt that type of music. Tommy’s guitar playing on Spectrum is fantastic, while Jan can flatten you with the first few notes.” The album provided the impetus for Beck’s landmark Blow by Blow, Wired, and the formation of a long and fruitful musical alliance with Hammer, which turned out to be a marriage made in heaven.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/under-investigation-billy-cobhams-spectrum/24015

Thank you..I have a good ear (well, two of them ;) )

What adds way more "legend" to this was that Tommy's last gig ever was opening for Jeff at the Jai-Alai in Miami...also, his last photo ever taken was with Jeff!!!!
52c5b763c47ca1802fe5514ab370b8e6.jpg

Wow, the Jai Alai Fronton and Hollywood Sportatorium were my first concert venues....sorry to go o.t. on you.

I was born in Ft. Lauderdale but I was too young for the Hollywood Sportatorium :(

Moved to Tampabay area when I was 12 and saw the majority of my 75+ shows @ the old Lakeland Civic Center :)

I have the Wired SACD and I love it. Since we are talking about the connection/influence between Bolin and Beck. I saw Beck during the Blow by Blow tour and Bolin during the Come Taste the Band tour. Of course Beck was in much better condition and was awesome. The Deep Purple concert was good, but it did not really allow for Bolin to show his guitar skills. I do remember him doing one solo while attached to wires and swinging out over the audience. Those were the days! As an amateur guitar player I have always appreciated how Beck was inspired by Bolin's playing on Spectrum.

I have the Wired SACD and I love it. Since we are talking about the connection/influence between Bolin and Beck. I saw Beck during the Blow by Blow tour and Bolin during the Come Taste the Band tour. Of course Beck was in much better condition and was awesome. The Deep Purple concert was good, but it did not really allow for Bolin to show his guitar skills. I do remember him doing one solo while attached to wires and swinging out over the audience. Those were the days! As an amateur guitar player I have always appreciated how Beck was inspired by Bolin's playing on Spectrum.

YOU LUCKY BASTAGE!!!!!! You got to see Tommy!!!!
So happy for you!!!!

Rejoice!!!!

Tommy (in spite of his "shortcomings" was a VERY inspired guitarist...I mean ...Billy Cobham?? ... Alphonse Mouzon??? he was a master ..he just left the building waaay too soon!

(you can tell I'm a HARDCORE BOLIN fan!!!)

Wow, the Jai Alai Fronton and Hollywood Sportatorium were my first concert venues....sorry to go o.t. on you.

The Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa was the next tour stop iirc. The show went on without Bolan. I lived in Tampa Florida for 9 years. Thankfully I felt the strong winds blowing west, and I kept going until I hit the ocean.

I was born in Ft. Lauderdale but I was too young for the Hollywood Sportatorium :(

Moved to Tampa bay area when I was 12 and saw the majority of my 75+ shows @ the old Lakeland Civic Center :)

I saw a ton of shows at the Lakeland Civic Center from 1975 to 1982. I missed a ton of them 74-75 like Genesis Lamb, etc. But saw The Stones '78, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and tons more. I shot photos of many of these bands too. One of my favorites was UFO opening for Styx on their Grand Illusion tour. UFO had Shenker, it was their Lights Out tour!!!!

Just received my copy of the quad version of Wired from Japan today. Very unique packaging (makes me wonder if there will be more along these lines?) and really great quad sound. Enjoying it and Happy New Year to all Quaddies!!!

I saw a ton of shows at the Lakeland Civic Center from 1975 to 1982. I missed a ton of them 74-75 like Genesis Lamb, etc. But saw The Stones '78, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and tons more. I shot photos of many of these bands too. One of my favorites was UFO opening for Styx on their Grand Illusion tour. UFO had Shenker, it was their Lights Out tour!!!!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude Snood was at that show!!!! Snood live in Orlando and many a concert at The Lakeland Civic Center toooooo mainly 79-85ish

Best Show ever was Van Halen - Women & Children First Tour........Altho Kansas in their prime put on a great show

My First ever concert was there.......Eddie Money opening for Foghat!!!!

Hmm Snood also saw Van Halen twice, Grateful Dead, Clapton, Dylan, Blondie, Cheap Trick, Kansas, Roger Waters, Dio, David Gilmour, REO, The Police, Rush, UFO, Styx and Molly Hatchet & the Outlaws lol at Lakeland Civic Center

Back