Jethro Tull - "Heavy Horses" (New Shoes Edition) to be released in February 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urrrrrrgh gotta send mine back to Amazon new one in 2 days - the DVD2 in the sleeve is all marked up, all the others in the snaps are fine........

No big deal, but that sleeve stuff should be outlawed :howl

Urrrrrrgh gotta send mine back to Amazon new one in 2 days - the DVD2 in the sleeve is all marked up, all the others in the snaps are fine........

No big deal, but that sleeve stuff should be outlawed :howl

I need to check mine...I only played the one surround disc...I never listen to the cds in these sets so they go unchecked...sorry to hear yours was messed up:(

I need to check mine...I only played the one surround disc...I never listen to the cds in these sets so they go unchecked...sorry to hear yours was messed up:(

No Big ... keep on returning till Snood get a good one lol - but when Snood saw it in a sleeve was like nooooooooooooooooooo...........the innards seem smooth so dunno why - but always bad luck with full sleeved discs :howl

Another absolutely STELLAR package. SW's remix is among his very best and obviously, the master tapes from which he assembled the remix were in pluperfect shape. I also listened to CDs 1, 2 and 3 and they will NOT disappoint.

All in ALL another brilliant addition to the wonderful Jethro Tull remasters.

And that price was more than generous to surround fanatics unlike some recent obscenely priced ones..........$37 delivered for 5 chock filled discs in a beautiful glossy booklet enclosed package.(y)(y)

I received mine on Friday from Import CD. Having purchased all the other JT deluxe re-issues, I knew what to expect in the package. We got what I thought we'd get. This release is on the same level as the last few, and in some ways surpasses them.

I gotta confess, although I already owned a CD of HH, I'm not sure if I ever played it more than once. I never did buy the LP when it was first released in 1978, in spite of buying its predecessor, SFTW, and liking it a lot. The big surprise for me when I played this over the last two days was the quality of the material that I had either never heard before, or didn't remember ever hearing. This album is excellent. I'm a bit embarrassed that I apparently dismissed it back in the day. I'm always the guy defending Too Old to R&R Too Young to Die as the most underrated Tull album out there, but this tops it for me. In my defense, I was 20 years old when this album was released. I don't think the themes on HH would have meant much to me then. And then there were the normal 20 year old's standard pursuits of the time. They usually had something to do with either sex or cannabis (and on a good day, both).

I haven't played the live stuff yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Jacko is the guy who mixed Andersons Live in Iceland DVD and did an absolutely stellar job with it. Already ripped it to the NAS. I will play the disks more because I am enjoying the slideshows. But I like to rip stuff I'm unfamiliar with quickly so I can play it back in Kodi and have access to on screen lyrics.

I am enjoying the hell out of this. :banana::banana::banana:

Well, this one sounds pretty amazing! As stated earlier, this is a new Tull one for me and yet another great album and 5.1 mix. Is it me or is this one of SW's slightly more adventurous mixes? I think the quality of the source material sounds a little more polished too, I guess tech was constantly improving during the 70's and SW's mixes seem to get better too so maybe it's a combination of those things. My only real disappointment is that 'Stormwatch' will be the last one we get with this line up! :(

'Acres Wild' is one of my new favourite Tull songs! But, I have a question, when the bass comes in should it be quite deep? That's what I was expecting, but it it's quite light, so is that a mixing choice by SW to stay true to that 70's bass sound or some other reason? I don't think it's a set up issue as everything else like the kick etc sounds ok, just curious what you guys think!

So, one mystery solved, the track 'A Town In England' is listed in the original press release. Well 'Botanic Man Theme' finishes at 1:20, then there's a gap and another tune starts at 1.47, sounds like 'A Town In England' to me!

So, one mystery solved, the track 'A Town In England' is listed in the original press release. Well 'Botanic Man Theme' finishes at 1:20, then there's a gap and another tune starts at 1.47, sounds like 'A Town In England' to me!

It is also on the DVD as a separate track (you click the horseshoe on the associated recordings screen). While it plays the title "A Town in England" appears on the screen.

It is also on the DVD as a separate track (you click the horseshoe on the associated recordings screen). While it plays the title "A Town in England" appears on the screen.

Nice, is this the first actual easter egg on one of the Tull sets or have I missed something?

FbfUYqb.jpg

My copy came today :banana:

In further promotion of the release of this "New Shoes Edition" of "Heavy Horses", Jethro Tull will release a "Moths" EP on Record Store Day this year.

The artwork for this six track EP is based around the original single 'Moths', using the same shot of Ian Anderson on the cover and replacing the original black and white for colour. This title comes out following the 40th anniversary release of Heavy Horses, which ‘Moths’ first featured on, and also coincides with it being Jethro Tull’s 50th anniversary year. Worldwide run of 6500.

418459070945%3A800.jpg

:)

I've just filed the new edition of Heavy Horses next to all the other Tull re re re releases. Looking good!

I always had all the Tull on vinyl, but it's just struck me that This Was up to A is a run of Tull studio albums that is one a year in every year from 1968 up to 1980. A remarkable run of 13 consecutive years of studio albums. Quiz question - how many other bands have done that?!

Mine arrived from DD a few days ago and while I wanted my first listen to be 5.1 I couldn't resist and put on the 2ch SW remix while doing dinner this evening. After just one play I think it is indeed superior to the original, just what SW tries to do - keep the intent mostly intact and try to add more clarity....mission accomplished.

Will try to get the 5.1 in the player this weekend, though I have that Roxy set still in the queue as well.

Mine arrived from DD a few days ago and while I wanted my first listen to be 5.1 I couldn't resist and put on the 2ch SW remix while doing dinner this evening. After just one play I think it is indeed superior to the original, just what SW tries to do - keep the intent mostly intact and try to add more clarity....mission accomplished.

Will try to get the 5.1 in the player this weekend, though I have that Roxy set still in the queue as well.
lmao - mine is still tightly wrapped.....in the other room. I've been sidetracked with my new equipment...maybe I'll pop that puppy in this weekend. Life is good...

So I've been listening to the HH CD's in the car. And I like the content even more than I did a few threads up (#165). Standouts so far are the title track, Moths, and Living in These Hard Times. But the whole album is very worthy. The live stuff a little less so, but there are very few live albums that, if given the choice, I wouldn't choose the studio version instead.

I listened to the 5.1 studio disk once thru last weekend, and was impressed. I even read the whole book (nothing from Mr. Wilson this time out).

I ripped it all to the NAS and plan to get to a second play on the 5.1 studio material (with on-screen lyrics) as well as a first play on the 5.1 live stuff this weekend. Then on to the vote. This is where I wish we could make the votes a little sharper... for albums that aren't quite 10's but are better than 9's, like this one is shaping up to be.

So I've been listening to the HH CD's in the car. And I like the content even more than I did a few threads up (#165). Standouts so far are the title track, Moths, and Living in These Hard Times. But the whole album is very worthy. The live stuff a little less so, but there are very few live albums that, if given the choice, I wouldn't choose the studio version instead.

I listened to the 5.1 studio disk once thru last weekend, and was impressed. I even read the whole book (nothing from Mr. Wilson this time out).

I ripped it all to the NAS and plan to get to a second play on the 5.1 studio material (with on-screen lyrics) as well as a first play on the 5.1 live stuff this weekend. Then on to the vote. This is where I wish we could make the votes a little sharper... for albums that aren't quite 10's but are better than 9's, like this one is shaping up to be.

For me...the comments are just as important as the numbers (sometimes more important)...especially when you are talking about votes between 7 and 10...for that is the range I consider worthy of a purchase....I've seen some votes that were extremely low(a 5)and the voter recommends the purchase...and the comments reveal why the voter likes or dislikes the title...knowing that is very important to me...it lets me know if the likes or dislikes are something that would effect my decision to purchase...sometimes the perfect surround mix doesn't matter if the voter doesn't like the content..and if I know the content is holding back the score...this would be more relevant than the numbers.....

Back