DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery 40th Anniversary (Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY [2015 Mix]

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 34 50.0%

Votes: 26 38.2%

Votes: 6 8.8%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.5%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I gave this SW mix a NINE!

There is no lack of surround placement in the back channels.I'm going to have to do something about my center channel speaker, it at times sounds as if I'm listening to three channel surround,2 in rear and 1 up front.This is in no waySteven's intended mix im sure.
I think his 5.1 is always impressive.

My favourite track is Baker Street Muse (with all its tributaries).

I prefer the quad though mainly because of it's rarity.An historic wrong finally made right.

I'm extremely please with this album and 5.1 mix. The acid test is my cat. He sat on my lap and throughout the whole thing. He'll usually come into the room if he hears music playing and sits on the back of the couch or my lap. He likes Benefit, Aqualung and now this one. He doesn't like Passion Play or War Child - he takes off after a few minutes. 9/10.

I'm extremely please with this album and 5.1 mix. The acid test is my cat. He sat on my lap and throughout the whole thing. He'll usually come into the room if he hears music playing and sits on the back of the couch or my lap. He likes Benefit, Aqualung and now this one. He doesn't like Passion Play or War Child - he takes off after a few minutes. 9/10.

Hahaha - the cat test. My cat doesn't mind my music unless it has a crazy amount of surround gymnastics...then he gets spooked.

I listened to both the 5.1 DTS and the QUAD. I definitely think the QUAD is better than the 5.1 mix. The 5.1 is just not as discrete as the QUAD which is why I prefer it. I gave the 5.1 an 8.

I gave the QUAD a 10!!

I too pefer the quad version but for different reasons. Maybe it's my set up but I found the 5.1 mix a little too bright. I am thankful though to get the flat transfer quad version.

After much deliberation..
yes, the mix is great , and we all would have wanted it to have been REAL Hi Rez..
but you know what pisses me off???
The "slideshow" that shows the SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER.....
whoever approved the authoring for this should be BANNED from EVER doing any more stuff (Ian , is that you?? are you that full of yourself???...don't answer that..we already know)

....IS THIS AN INFOMERCIAL???

WE ALREADY HAVE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give us
EITHER
SOMETHING ELSE that is not in the booklet
OR
a LYRICS slideshow!!!!!

an 8
and I'm being generous!!!

¡He dicho!

After much deliberation..
yes, the mix is great , and we all would have wanted it to have been REAL Hi Rez..
but you know what pisses me off???
The "slideshow" that shows the SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER.....
whoever approved the authoring for this should be BANNED from EVER doing any more stuff (Ian , is that you?? are you that full of yourself???...don't answer that..we already know)

....IS THIS AN INFOMERCIAL???

WE ALREADY HAVE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give us
EITHER
SOMETHING ELSE that is not in the booklet
OR
a LYRICS slideshow!!!!!

an 8
and I'm being generous!!!

¡He dicho!

This aspect of this release doesn't bother me that much. I think it's improved actually! Same goes for "War Child" and the "Chateau d'Herouville Sessions" bonus disc. I like the slide show of pictures from this era.
I don't really care for the authoring on the main "Passion Play" DVD where the video is nothing more than the ballerina slowly moving her arms and hands while lying in the same position. That doesn't really do much of anything for me.
The worst for me is "Benefit" as all it has to offer visually is a static shot of the album cover, and yet they couldn't do us a favor and make it a DVD-A/V to take full advantage of the added benefits of increased audio resolution…

But besides that, what could be improved most about these DVDs is better navigation and menu layout. I love Neil Wilkes' authored DVD-As and Blu-Rays, where most of them begin playing the main album in some high-res 5.1 audio format simply by clicking 'play', 'enter', or something similar thereof.
These JT DVDs involve more menu navigation which isn't as conducive to those who would prefer a more 'headless' operable setup.

These kind of comments do not detract from the stellar nature of these Tull releases, but is there still room for improvement? Yes, indeed there is.

well , the :smack::smack::smack::smack:
is how I feel from watching the DVD...

The VISUALS are supposed to ENHANCE the experience..
You either have a STILL with the title of the song being played
or
have a lyrics SLIDESHOW (none of that "press the forward arrow")
or go ALL THE way as in Gentle Giant's TPATG (only on BD)

Don't feed me stuff that is already on the booklet...

Who cares about visuals - too distracting. Turn the tube off and listen to the music!

Yeah , yeah ... I know but ..
-Some of us are "wired" in a different way (and are VISUAL too...and appreciate the matching visuals- ala, Crowded House DVD-A and/or Gentle Giant's "The power and the glory" BluRay)
-it all depends on the release- if they have THAT much info...just author the disc accordingly
OR
-Do as you say...although, I am partial to having it with a SIMPLE slideshow---the song title will do..

See, if it were DVD-A/V, EVERYONE would be happy as there could be 'headless' operation (which benefits sukothai's philosophy of turning off the TV and turning up the sound).
Plus for the kap'n, there could be a simple visual with options to view a picture slideshow while the album is playing.
And, I get high-res audio, so see? This is how we can make the world a better place! :)

Once you rip the audio to your NAS, every format is equally suited to "headless" playback. I hit one button on my Logitech remote to turn on the HTPC and the receiver, select the music I want to listen to on the Yatse Kodi client (running on my Android phone), and away I go. Less than ten seconds elapse between the time I want to listen to a multichannel recording and the time that it starts playing. I love the setup, and highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't enjoy the ritual of handling physical media.

Once you rip the audio to your NAS, every format is equally suited to "headless" playback. I hit one button on my Logitech remote to turn on the HTPC and the receiver, select the music I want to listen to on the Yatse Kodi client (running on my Android phone), and away I go. Less than ten seconds elapse between the time I want to listen to a multichannel recording and the time that it starts playing. I love the setup, and highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't enjoy the ritual of handling physical media.
To what format and container do you rip? I'm also thinking about using a raspberry with Kodi.

Markus

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

I rip everythng to flac, and it works like a charm. I'm using an Intel NUC (D54250WYK) to run Kodi, in an Abel H22 fanless case. You don't necessarily need that much horsepower, but I'd be a bit wary of using a Raspberry Pi: some people have had trouble with stuttering.

Josh

P.S. Apologies for hijacking the the thread; we should probalby move this conversation elsewhere. I really like Stephen Wilson Minstrel in the Gallery mix. Discrete, immersive, and in the spirit of the original stereo mix. It just "takes you further inside," especially the harmony vocals and layered guitar parts.

I voted 10 but wanted to give it 11.

It's a combination of the remix being up to SW's usual standards and then some, and that the original release was a bit murky in detail more than some of the other albums.

The original was always one of my favorite JT albums. Presentation and overall balances in the original were obviously right on point. What was frustrating was that while we had exceptional vinyl copies of albums like Aqualung and Brick (from MFSL) that brought you closer to the master tape, Minstrel was never made available that way. Always fest like I was missing out.

Apparently, 1. The original tracks are exceptionally recorded (including/especially the drums); 2. The original mix must have been challenging to preserve some/much of that; and 3. Of course such a thing couldn't be easily mastered to vinyl either. Because this new 5.1 mix is just mind blowingly opened up and fantastic sounding!

The contrast between the original and the remix is just stunning in all the right ways.

I usually give a -1 for anything only released in a lossy format (simply because it's the 21st century)... which still leaves this with a 10/10.
I will say that as one who is sensitive to the various sounds/artifacts of different kinds of generation loss and annoyed by such if I hear it - I don't hear any of that with DTS 24/96. It's technically lossy but it's still delivering what sounds like an HD experience to me. YMMV and some players (hardware and software) may play this with less than 'lossless sounding' results. And the difference will be much more than you would hear from just a sample rate conversion for example.

Back