Jethro Tull WarChild Remixed 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as Chrysalis (the record company who own the Jethro Tull albums) want to release Collector's Editions of more Jethro Tull albums and as long as someone wants to remix them in surround (like Steven Wilson or even Jakko Jakszyk), the Jethro Tull albums will continue to be released like this.
Ian Anderson (like Robert Fripp and Andy Partridge) is truly entrenched in the 5.1 camp and definitely wants more Tull albums released in surround. :)

Thank God for that!:banana:

As long as Chrysalis (the record company who own the Jethro Tull albums) want to release Collector's Editions of more Jethro Tull albums and as long as someone wants to remix them in surround (like Steven Wilson or even Jakko Jakszyk), the Jethro Tull albums will continue to be released like this.
Ian Anderson (like Robert Fripp and Andy Partridge) is truly entrenched in the 5.1 camp and definitely wants more Tull albums released in surround. :)
The difference is that Fripp and Partridge are gettring in done in hi-rez. I know I've been harping about this for all eternity but for me it is a deal-breaker.

The difference is that Fripp and Partridge are gettring in done in hi-rez. I know I've been harping about this for all eternity but for me it is a deal-breaker.

It does suck that only one Jethro Tull surround release was in high-resolution (and even then you had to pay an arm and a leg for it), but this is not the fault of Ian Anderson. He doesn't own the recordings. The label does, so what they say goes.
Fripp owns all the King Crimson recordings so he can do as he will, and since the XTC recordings have been licensed by Panegyric/APE from Virgin/UMG, they also can do as they will.

It seems they are going in chronological order. So after War Child should come Minstrel, which is the release I would be most looking forward to. Id also like "Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die". but who knows if they'll go that deep into the catalog.

Minstrel is the one I'd really like as well, we can but wait and see!

Minstrel in the Gallery is my favourite Tull album. 5.1 would be a dream come true.
WarChild is one of my must have albums. Thinking 5.1 & quad makes me want to dance...:D WarChild dance the days, and dance the nights away.

http://jethrotull.com/war-child-40th-anniversary-theatre-edition-coming-in-november/
War Child 40th Anniversary Theatre Edition – Coming in November!
The Band’s Ambitious 1974 Album Expanded With Unreleased Tracks
And Orchestral Pieces Along With Rare Video Footage
2CD/2DVD, 1CD, Digital Download: November 24th
Limited Edition Vinyl : January 13th

In 1974, Jethro Tull announced plans for WarChild, a multi-faceted project that was to encompass a feature-length film, a soundtrack album, as well a new album from the band. In October of that year, Tull released a 10-song album that would climb to #2 in the U.S. and the top 15 in the U.K., but the film and accompanying soundtrack were shelved. To commemorate the 40-year anniversary of this ambitious experiment, Parlophone will revisit WarChild with several releases.

warchild-packshotWARCHILD: THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY THEATRE EDITION will be available as a limited edition 2-CD/2-DVD set on November 24th.

Highlights from the set include:

- Original album and bonus tracks (three previously unreleased), remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- 10 orchestral pieces (nine previously unreleased) written for the film’s soundtrack, 4 of which are remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- Flat transfers of the original LP mix at 96/24, and the quadrophonic version (with 2 bonus tracks) in 4.0.

- “The Third Hoorah” promo footage, and footage from a January 1974 photo session/press conference where the WarChild project was announced.

- An 80-page booklet featuring an extensive article on the preparation and recording of the album, a film script synopsis, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

In addition a new stereo remix of WarChild will also be released on single CD and digitally on November 17th.

Originally released in 1974, WarChild features one of the group’s most prolific lineups and includes Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, John Evans, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond and Barrie Barlow. Unlike its predecessors – Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play – which featured 40-odd minutes of continuous music, WarChild marked a return to songs of a more conventional length, including the FM-radio staple, “Bungle In The Jungle.” The new Theatre Edition unearths a trio of unreleased recordings: “Tomorrow Was Today,” “Good Godmother,” and a different arrangement of “WarChild” recorded after the version on the final album.

Fans intrigued by the appearance of “WarChild Waltz” on the 2002 reissue of WarChild will finally get the chance to hear the rest of the mostly orchestral music the band recorded for the soundtrack album. About 30 minutes was recorded during sessions in 1973 and 1974. Soon after, the music was consigned to the archives for 40 years – until now.

View attachment 16187

Pre-order and full track list are up at Burning Shed!

https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/6151/

In 1974, Jethro Tull announced plans for WarChild, a multi-faceted project that was to encompass a feature-length film, a soundtrack album, as well a new album from the band. In October of that year, Tull released a 10-song album that would climb to #2 in the U.S. and the top 15 in the U.K., but the film and accompanying soundtrack were shelved.

Originally released in 1974, WarChild features one of the group's most prolific lineups and includes Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, John Evans, Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond and Barrie Barlow. Unlike its predecessors "Thick As A Brick" and "A Passion Play" which featured 40-odd minutes of continuous music, WarChild marked a return to songs of a more conventional length, including the FM-radio staple, "Bungle In The Jungle."

The new Theatre Edition unearths a trio of unreleased recordings: "Tomorrow Was Today," "Good Godmother," and a different arrangement of "WarChild" recorded after the version on the final album.

- Original album and bonus tracks (three previously unreleased), remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- 10 orchestral pieces (nine previously unreleased) written for the film's soundtrack, 4 of which are remixed in 5.1 surround and stereo by Steven Wilson

- Flat transfers of the original LP mix at 96/24, and the quadrophonic version (with 2 bonus tracks) in 4.0.

- "The Third Hoorah" promo footage, and footage from a January 1974 photo session/press conference where the WarChild project was announced.

- An 80-page booklet featuring an extensive article on the preparation and recording of the album, a film script synopsis, track-by-track annotations by Ian Anderson, plus rare and unseen photographs.

Fans intrigued by the appearance of "WarChild Waltz" on the 2002 reissue of WarChild will finally get the chance to hear the rest of the mostly orchestral music the band recorded for the soundtrack album. About 30 minutes was recorded during sessions in 1973 and 1974. Soon after, the music was consigned to the archives for 40 years - until now.

Pre-order now for November 24th release.

preorder ($25.60 USD)

Tracks
Disc One
1. WarChild
2. Queen and Country
3. Ladies
4. Back-door Angels
5. SeaLion
6. Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day
7. Bungle in the Jungle
8. Only Solitaire
9. The Third Hoorah
10. Two Fingers

Disc Two - The Second Act: Associated Recordings
1. Paradise Steakhouse
2. Saturation
3. Good Godmother*
4. SeaLion II
5. Quartet
6. WarChild II*
7. Tomorrow Was Today*
8. Glory Row
9. March, The Mad Scientist
10. Rainbow Blues
11. Pan Dance

WarChild Orchestral Recordings

12. The Orchestral WarChild Theme*
13. The Third Hoorah (Orchestral Version)*
14. Mime Sequence*
15. Field Dance (Conway Hall Version)*
16. Waltz Of The Angels (Conway Hall Version)
17. The Beach (Part I) (Morgan Master Recording)*
18. The Beach (Part II) (Morgan Master Recording)*
19. Waltz Of The Angels (Morgan Demo Recording)*
20. The Beach (Morgan Demo Recording)*
21. Field Dance (Morgan Demo Recording)*

* Previously Unreleased

DVD 1 (Audio & Video)

Contains:
* WarChild remixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound and 96/24 PCM stereo.
* A flat transfer from the original 1974 LP master at 96/24 PCM stereo.
* A flat transfer of the original 1974 Quad LP (with additionally Glory Row & March, The Mad Scientist) at 5.1 (4.0) DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound.
* Video clips of a Montreux photosession and press conference on 11th January 1974 and The Third Hoorah promo footage with remixed stereo audio.

DVD 2 (Audio)

Contains:
* An additional eleven group recordings from the WarChild sessions and later, including 3 previously unreleased tracks, and 4 orchestral recordings from the WarChild sessions mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital surround sound and 96/24 PCM stereo.
* Six additional orchestral recordings (five previously unreleased) mixed by Robin Black in 1974, now in 96/24 PCM stereo.

To my friends colsky & DuncanS:

You'll never believe this, but truth is, I was accused of not being silly enough!:mad:@: So I'm back to have another go at it all and we'll see how it all turns out. :rolleyes:

My alternate excuse is: The waiting for YES - Relayer got too intense for me, so I just took a break for a while. It was too hard doing the daily update thing, it made the waiting much more difficult than it needed to be. Now that Relayer is out I can exhale! And what a magical Steven Wilson 5.1 remix it turned out to be! I can't wait for Warchild as well. The last two Tull 5.1 remixes I bought to support Tull, but Warchild will get played a lot! :smokin

Where is that handsome little devil: PK???

Back