Jim Fosgate's Latest Invention: Stereo to Surround Sound Preamp + Processor

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Jim Fosgate, the developer of advanced matrix decoding techniques and technologies, including the Fosgate SQ decoders with the Tate IC Chips and more recently the developer of Dolby's Pro Logic II with servo-logic, has a new invention on display at this weekend's AXPONA audio show at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center in Room 717 with Jolida/Black Ice Audio.

The Black Ice F360 is a tube based preamp that takes Stereo audio, in this case from a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) that plays FLAC and DSD files, and converts it into 4 channel stereo. The channels are Left, Right, Front, Back. The unit has controls for dimension (width and narrowing the image) and bass equalization so that the effect can be varied. It appears to be based on Fosgate's earlier SSX - Sound Stage Expander. The F360 sells for $1,999.

A bit different but interesting.
Worth a listen if you're planning to attend AXPONA in the Chicago area this weekend!

http://www.axpona.com/
http://www.jolida.com/product/foz-ss-x

Last edited:
Way cool news, Brian.

Good to know Jim Fosgate is still in love with quad .

That dude is such a fantastic quad and surround supporter....even after all these decades .

Decades i point out that are filled with ups and downs (more downs actually ) trying to keep surround alive.

A very Posi-Quad type of person he is .

I saw that there. It was the ONLY multichannel display I noticed. I asked them if that was a surround decoder, but I was told "more of an ambiance generator".

I saw that there. It was the ONLY multichannel display I noticed. I asked them if that was a surround decoder, but I was told "more of an ambiance generator".

Yes, the sales guy at Black Ice was pitching it as an "ambiance generator". But when you listened to the musical selections they were playing through the unit, it was clear that it does more than generate ambiance from Stereo albums! :)

Surround Sound was also being shown in the Home Theater area. Including an 11.2 channel Dolby Atmos demo with a Tom Cruise movie playing.
Fun. :)

Last edited:
Back