HiRez Poll Jimi Hendrix Experience, The - ELECTRIC LADYLAND [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Jimi Hendrix Experience - ELECTRIC LADYLAND

• Total voters
This was a tough one to give a number and had to give it an extra couple of listens. A lot of thsee songs are made for multichannel and it’s wilder tunes are great to get playful with in the mix. Wish some of the songs would have been mixed to give it an even more psychedelic feel. This album always felt to me like it could have used a little editing. Maybe it’s because I’m more of an Axis guy.

I think it's well known that I was disappointed in what Eddie Kramer achieved with the Electric Ladyland mix. Maybe Eddie and his supreme knowledge of the material could have served as a consultant to someone like Steven Wilson, who I think would have really made this masterpiece shine in surround.

Ironically, I've been ripping a lot of my stereo CDs with dBPowerAmp and ran across my old Joe Gastwirt remaster of Electric Ladyland. I listened to it using my Yamaha's 7ch Enhancer DSP and I swear the faux surround achieved is better than Eddie's official 5.1 surround mix on the bluray. Blasphemous, but true!

Ironically, I've been ripping a lot of my stereo CDs with dBPowerAmp and ran across my old Joe Gastwirt remaster of Electric Ladyland. I listened to it using my Yamaha's 7ch Enhancer DSP and I swear the faux surround achieved is better than Eddie's official 5.1 surround mix on the bluray. Blasphemous, but true!

The 4-track songs ("Crosstown Traffic" and "All Along The Watchtower") definitely sound better upmixed from a good stereo source, but it's a toss-up for me with the rest of the album. Kramer's 5.1 mixes of "1983" and "House Burning Down" are better than any synthesized versions I've heard to date.

On the other hand - "Voodoo Chile" through my old Fosgate 101A quad decoder puts Jimi's guitar mostly in the right rear speaker and the organ in the left rear, with the drums and lead vocal upfront. I found this to be an improvement over the actual 5.1 mix, which has the drum kit mostly in the rears and vocal in all five channels.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the classic Jimi Hendrix Experience album "Electric Ladyland".
This 50th anniversary edition contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album from Jimi's longtime engineer Eddie Kramer. The Blu-Ray also features a full-length documentary on the making of the album, and the box set also contains CDs featuring alternate studio takes and live material from 1968.

(y):)(n)

71Rrar3OFsL._SL1200_.jpg

71PVEeBzPjL._SL1200_.jpg

71CkGh-Px9L._SL1500_.jpg

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the classic Jimi Hendrix Experience album "Electric Ladyland".
This 50th anniversary edition contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album from Jimi's longtime engineer Eddie Kramer. The Blu-Ray also features a full-length documentary on the making of the album, and the box set also contains CDs featuring alternate studio takes and live material from 1968.

(y):)(n)

71Rrar3OFsL._SL1200_.jpg

71PVEeBzPjL._SL1200_.jpg

71CkGh-Px9L._SL1500_.jpg
I just got this today 2-19-24. Why didn't I get this 6 years ago!? I can't rate the 5.1 version less than 10. If there was an 11 rating, that's not high enough. I blasted this recording because, well, it's Hendrix. I wish my brother could have heard this version. He got me hooked on Jimi when I was about 12 years old. I know he would have dug it! This is my new favorite! I'm glad I bit the bullet. Let the good times roll!

Back