HiRez Poll Jimi Hendrix Experience, The - ELECTRIC LADYLAND [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Jimi Hendrix Experience - ELECTRIC LADYLAND

• Total voters
Upon first listen, I found much of the album, mix included, to be engaging, and other moments less-so.
I'm cool with that. It allowed my mind to wander some.
I found Watchtower to be quite a bizarre mix. A little off-putting at first. Upon relistening, it began to feel and sound better already.

I've only listened through this once so far and was also a little disappointed in Watchtower. I felt like I'd heard it so much for decades in stereo only, that to hear it in surround can almost have a reverse effect of thinning out the much fuller stereo; spreading the instruments around, especially with only four tracks to work with. But I'll need to listen a few more times to hopefully acclimate.:unsure:

Wow, I really did not like the surround mix at all. I really don' like the drum, lead vocals and bass comming from all the speakers seeming to come from the center rear of the listening area. I also must admit that i really have never cared for the music on this album very much either. The last song had the drums and bass in the front speakers, i really liked that one. I don't think i will even give this one another listen. This goes to the for sale pile for me. Glad everyone else is enjoying it, I guess i just don't ger this album.

Wow, I really did not like the surround mix at all. I really don' like the drum, lead vocals and bass comming from all the speakers seeming to come from the center rear of the listening area. I also must admit that i really have never cared for the music on this album very much either. The last song had the drums and bass in the front speakers, i really liked that one. I don't think i will even give this one another listen. This goes to the for sale pile for me. Glad everyone else is enjoying it, I guess i just don't ger this album.

Even though the surround mix does wonders for me, I'm always pleased to see people making up their own minds and deciding to move stuff on when the music doesn't do it for them. I've bought lots of music over the years that I've played once and then left on the shelf to gather dust as I didn't really like the music but thought I should have it in my collection all the same. I'm more decisive nowadays and try to keep only music that I know I want to hear again so well done for being there yourself (y)

If you didn't like the music to begin with...usually a surround mix isn't going to change that...there have been times when I had a mild appreciation of the music and a superb mix made me like it much more but never a complete 360 turn around

If you didn't like the music to begin with...usually a surround mix isn't going to change that...there have been times when I had a mild appreciation of the music and a superb mix made me like it much more but never a complete 360 turn around
It has happened quite often, for me at least, that i got a surround mix of something i would never listen to in stereo, and really like it. I think i would have liked this if the surround mix would have been to my liking. Just as an example,I really liked the DV releases of Ray Conniff, but would never listen to it in stereo. Anyway, just my opinion.

I have absolutely no problem with someone not liking a particular artist, album or even genre of music; it is all so very personal. Actually I'm not into Steve Wilson's music, but really love his ability at mixing other band's music. As far as the Electric Ladyland album, I need more listening time with it to even get a good feel for it. It is also possible (at least for me) to not think too highly of an album and then grow into it with years of listening. One example of that is Nick Drake's "A Treasury" SACD which I can listen to now and fully enjoy the music and seem to find new elements to like about it at every listen.

Oh I had to delay all my new surround listening - as my family wanted to get me the box sets as holiday gifts. So I have a lot of catching up to do, Kraftwerk, White Album, Tull, Hendrix! Joy - but when? Anyway, couldn't wait to start on Electric Ladyland, one of my all time favorite albums. In fact, All Along The Watchtower could be my desert island song, if I was forced to pick just one... Usually, I force myself to start at the beginning of an album and listen all the way through, but on this one, I just had to go to Watchtower immediately. And was entirely underwhelmed. It just sounded all sort of 'dis-aggregated' and messy on the lower end. Oh no - the 96/24 stereo sounds so much better, so much more together. On a first listen! Then I tried Crosstown Traffic in surround. Oh my goodness, where is all the punch and earthiness? Again, the stereo beats it hands down. OK then - let's try my least favorite track - Little Miss Strange. Weirdly, here, finally is a surround version that actually works really well. Centered overall, but with really nice discrete elements - great. And much better as an 'experience' than the stereo. All on the weakest, least appealing song on the album. Sorry - a very disappointing start for sure. No rating from me yet - I'll put it away for now, and give it a complete start to finish listen over-the-weekend and report back. I hope that overall experience proves my first encounter to be a failed experiment.

This set arrived under the tree a few days ago. I had never owned this album. I had no money back in 1968 other than what I was given for doing chores around the house, so this is another one that simply slipped through the cracks. Well, my first listen through this album simply awed me. It's rare that I like an album start-to-finish the first time I hear it, so this one is truly exceptional. It's always great when you discover something you didn't realize you were missing, especially after 50 long years!

The performance is great, the fidelity is way better than I expected, and the surround mix really does the psychedelic tunes justice with Hendrix's guitars roving about the room. I wouldn't normally like all that panning, but it just seems right with these songs. Eddie Kramer says that Hendrix liked this kind of stuff. Another damn shame that Hendrix exited this world so young...He might have been an avid supporter of surround sound and an ally to QuadraphonicQuadders everywhere. My rating:

10.jpg

This set arrived under the tree a few days ago. I had never owned this album. I had no money back in 1968 other than what I was given for doing chores around the house, so this is another one that simply slipped through the cracks. Well, my first listen through this album simply awed me. It's rare that I like an album start-to-finish the first time I hear it, so this one is truly exceptional. It's always great when you discover something you didn't realize you were missing, especially after 50 long years!

The performance is great, the fidelity is way better than I expected, and the surround mix really does the psychedelic tunes justice with Hendrix's guitars roving about the room. I wouldn't normally like all that panning, but it just seems right with these songs. Eddie Kramer says that Hendrix liked this kind of stuff. Another damn shame that Hendrix exited this world so young...He might have been an avid supporter of surround sound and an ally to QuadraphonicQuadders everywhere. My rating:

View attachment 37268
It's so awesome that you love this masterpiece to that degree after listening to it for the first time in your life. I was fortunate to have an older brother who was in Junior High/High School in the late 60s that also had a great ear and taste in music. He bought Electric Ladyland upon its release in 1968. I have to admit that I preferred both Axis: Bold As Love and Are You Experienced? more than Ladyland for a long period of time. I didn't come to appreciate what Jimi had wrought until about 15 years ago and I now consider it the greatest album ever made. Welcome to Electric Ladyland - electric woman waits for you and me!!!

I just had to go to Watchtower immediately. And was entirely underwhelmed.

I had read that "Watchtower" and "Crosstown Traffic" were 4-track recordings which would explain the mediocre surround treatment. As for the rest of the album, yeah it's a bit on the conservative side (in my opinion) but I found it to be a grower. "1983" and "House Burning Down" are the best tracks for surround.

I can concur that, to my ears, some of the lesser-known tracks are the ones I think work best.
I have been enjoying this, though I have found it to be an uneven surround experience. To the point that I'm not in the 9 or 10 range with it. Maybe not even 7 or 8.
With others being so friggin' excited, it makes me cautious of my opinion and to want to take some time evaluating it.

"1983" and "House Burning Down" are the best tracks for surround.
IIRC, "Little Miss Strange" worked really well for me too. I'll have to relisten really soon. It freaks me out a little when an album gets lots of high votes and I find it to not work well or at least be a mixed-bag.

View attachment 37268

I have to give you props for "understanding" the mix...those looking for the usual "conformity"...won't find it in this mix...and that was the intention...and from what Kramer had to work with...an incredible job IMO...when you consider the atmosphere during the actual recording it's hard to believe that anything made it on tape...enough drugs in the studio to drive a DEA agent toward retirement...this approach wouldn't work on most albums...but fits like a glove on this one....you have to throw out the conventional template thought process and let the music speak...just listen and don't overthink it...well done(y)

I had read that "Watchtower" and "Crosstown Traffic" were 4-track recordings which would explain the mediocre surround treatment. As for the rest of the album, yeah it's a bit on the conservative side (in my opinion) but I found it to be a grower. "1983" and "House Burning Down" are the best tracks for surround.

I think this is very important in evaluating the mix of this album! Probably the two most important tracks on the album were only recorded with four tracks. It shows on this release. The rest knocks my socks clean off! I do realize what SW did with This Was, but after that one, and his decision to go quad, I no longer think of him as human in comparison to most multichannel mixers.

Because of the time frame, I like to compare the White Album mix with this one, Electric Ladyland. They are so different in the overall sound AND mix., yet they are BOTH so great in their own right!

Last edited:
I can concur that, to my ears, some of the lesser-known tracks are the ones I think work best.
I have been enjoying this, though I have found it to be an uneven surround experience. To the point that I'm not in the 9 or 10 range with it. Maybe not even 7 or 8.
With others being so friggin' excited, it makes me cautious of my opinion and to want to take some time evaluating it.

Don't be intimidated and vote what you think. Remember that us older folks lived through those times and this music was a major part of that experience, even if we were just kids. (If you think things are crazy now, take a look back at all the wild stuff that was happening in 1967 - 1968.) A lot of the music in those days was revolutionary for its time and that may have some influence on the voting. In my case, it does not because all I ever heard prior to getting this box set was Crosstown Traffic and All Along The Watchtower...in "potato quality" no less.

All I was interested in was the 96/24 2.0, and heard enough very iffy reviews (compressed, based on a lousy remaster from a few years ago) including one from a friend whose opinion I value that I sent it back to Amazon unopened this week. $50CDN including tax just too much if it’s not spectacular

I really enjoyed this mix, kudos to EK. I hope he mixes Axis too at some point.
I have to say i now think some of Mitch's drumming sounds even worse in surround, it was bad in stereo but this just magnifies it.
I can't recall a specific track but on one he plays like he's down a few pints and a couple of vodkas to finish off.

I really enjoyed this mix, kudos to EK. I hope he mixes Axis too at some point.
I have to say i now think some of Mitch's drumming sounds even worse in surround, it was bad in stereo but this just magnifies it.
I can't recall a specific track but on one he plays like he's down a few pints and a couple of vodkas to finish off.
Wow. Never thought I’d hear someone diss Mitch Mitchell and his drumming. To each his own, but you’re way off the mark here.

Back