Joe Cocker: "Live Across from Midnight" (1997) and "Best of Live" (1992/2004) DTS DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys, these two titles are actually pretty cool!

Joe's in top form (as I expect he will still be on the upcoming "Fire it Up Live" Blu Ray), and musically, these are beyond reproach. Each runs about 1.5 hours, so you get good value. And they both feature DTS sound.

The 1997 disc has very little punch, unfortunately. An open air concert with weak bass, and the sound is a bit distant. That said, the surround mix is pretty immersive! From what I can tell, they either highlighted instruments in the rears or actually isolated them there, so it's more than just an audience/ambience mix. (EDIT: yeah, in "Don't let me be misunderstood", the acoustic guitars are definitely isolated in the rears!)

The 1992 Dortmund gig on "Best Of Live" came out on VHS first, and I think the 2004 DTS 5.1 mix is more of an upmix, or if not, then little was done to create a true 5.1 experience. That said, I need to listen to it a bit more closely and I can get back to you then. What makes this a winner for me, though, is the sound quality: really strong and present! And again, the gig itself is just great.

These two DVDs are cool companion pieces to the 1989 "Live" CD. I was surprised there is little to no info about them on this forum, so there... Fixed that for you. :)

There are some more live DVDs from earlier on in Joe's career, but I haven't checked those out yet.

UGH I got the "Best of Live" DVD and the show is so good! Such a shame the mix sucks so bad. They didn't even try. Even the audience sounds are coming from the fronts. What a waste of an amazing performance.

Back