John Coltrane's Lost 1963 Recording will be released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great news! Certainly don’t see that everyday. Vinyl? :unsure:Hmm...the other day I used my record player... ooops! I meant turntable for the first time in years!!! :whistle:

Releases like this one makes me wish I had a turntable(until I hear the first snap crackle and pop)….I guess I'm more in love with the idea of having a turntable than actually having one...they look so cool...and I'm always trying to be cool...even when I go to the grocery store...just saying...Coltrane and Vinyl just go together...like a vintage Porsche and James Dean(maybe not a good analogy as he died in his Porsche)...oh well...there certainly is mystique about anything Coltrane related

Releases like this one makes me wish I had a turntable(until I hear the first snap crackle and pop)….I guess I'm more in love with the idea of having a turntable than actually having one...they look so cool...and I'm always trying to be cool...even when I go to the grocery store...just saying...Coltrane and Vinyl just go together...like a vintage Porsche and James Dean(maybe not a good analogy as he died in his Porsche)...oh well...there certainly is mystique about anything Coltrane related

Well, Clinty, if you REALLY want to be cool at the Grocery store...rule of (y).....NEVER get caught squeezing the Charmin in aisle 6!(n)

BTW, thanks for the heads~UP on the NEW Coltrane release.(y)(y)

And speaking of COOL......that red jacket James Dean wore in "Rebel Without A Cause!" https://www.moviesjacket.com/image/...ean-red-jacket/james-dean-jacket-850x1300.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious to read the liner notes first. I understand why Coltrane might have brought a copy of a finished master tape home, but one that Impulse! didn't keep in their vaults? I'm hoping there's a story in this, because even when material is left unreleased, the session tapes and any finished mixdown masters (mono or stereo) stay in the label's stash, regardless. Or SHOULD. That said, I'm glad it was found, interested in the sound quality, too....

ED :)

I'm curious to read the liner notes first. I understand why Coltrane might have brought a copy of a finished master tape home, but one that Impulse! didn't keep in their vaults? I'm hoping there's a story in this, because even when material is left unreleased, the session tapes and any finished mixdown masters (mono or stereo) stay in the label's stash, regardless. Or SHOULD. That said, I'm glad it was found, interested in the sound quality, too....

ED :)

I agree. Perhaps Coltrane, the perfectionist he was, wasn't exactly satisfied with the results. As for the sound quality......probably indicative of Rudy Van Gelder's Impulse recordings of the period. As I'm not a fan of 'alternate takes' I'll probably opt for the single RBCD release.

Still, IMO, a welcomed addition to the Coltrane discography.

I have a lot of good memories playing vinyl back in the day. It was and is still kind of cool. But like you, I'm not very eager to get back into records in a big way. The other day I just wanted to listen to an obscure 1979 recording of an obscure Symphony that was never released in digital form for some reason. I am glad I still have old components like that turntable sitting (or rather sleeping) around the house. You never know when you'll need one. But...compared to a modern Hirez surround recording of a large orchestra, that old 2-stereo LP sounded a bit weak. Perhaps a small jazz ensemble might suit the format better, but it is nice to see there'll be a CD version of this "new" Coltrane recording.

Last edited:
Almost smacks of our very own Sly & The Family Stones' Greatest Hits. When they did the stereo album, (was it two or three?) songs had to be rechannelled into fake stereo.
When they did the Quad version, somebody had the wherewithal to ask Sly, to which he responded "Oh, I have those!". Three, complete, finished multitrack tapes that he just happened to take home and those where (apparently) the only copies.

Ditto with Paul Revere & The Raiders' "Ups & Downs". Mark Lindsay once commented that the multitrack went missing the day after the mono mix was done. And didn't Jim Reeves comment that even way back in 1969 when he did the Quad mix of Greatest Hits - even way back when - he couldn't find the multi to "Ups & Downs".

The record industry is a strange beast indeed.

The 45 rpm 2-LP version of A Love Supreme is probably the best sounding album I own. Incredible. I am not a fan of snap crackle and pop either, but I have found a good record cleaning machine usually eliminates that annoyance.

Just a heads up, I have found that ordering vinyl from importcds to be problematic. They ship LPs in flimsy flexible envelopes that tend to damage the covers during the shipping process. I only use them for CDs now. It’s been a couple of years since I ordered vinyl from them, maybe they have learned after all the inevitable returns, but I pre-ordered the deluxe LP from Amazon.

Back