Just ordered the Involve Surround Master!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Surround Master arrived today (2nd hand from Jon - Its now done a full circle as I'm only about 5km from Involve Audio).

I plan to use it for stereo to 5.1 conversions using the SM's Involve Mode.

I just need to work out how to get 5.1 analog into my PC to record the up mixes. My goal is to convert my hires stereo collection to FLAC for media player playback. Any suggestions on Analog to Digital conversion appreciated.

EDIT: I started a new thread here for this question: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/5-1-analog-input-to-pc-how.24740/

Last edited:
My Surround Master arrived today (2nd hand from Jon - Its now done a full circle as I'm only about 5km from Involve Audio).

I plan to use it for stereo to 5.1 conversions using the SM's Involve Mode.

I just need to work out how to get 5.1 analog into my PC to record the up mixes. My goal is to convert my hires stereo collection to FLAC for media player playback. Any suggestions on Analog to Digital conversion appreciated.

EDIT: I started a new thread here for this question: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/5-1-analog-input-to-pc-how.24740/

Congrats! Wonder if the OP received his yet? I apologise for going off topic on the upmix conversation although I like to get opinions about how well the Surround Master does in all aspects. Enjoy!

Reactions: GOS
My USB multichannel capture device & A/D converter (Behringer UMC404HD) arrives today so can finally try my SM for the first time. I bought a stereo DAC too. My plan is to play stereo via DAC to SM then UMC404HD (as Quad) then to MCH wav which will end up as FLAC for playback.

Very excited about how this will sound. I’ve got a heap of stereo CD, SACD and Vinyl lined up and ready to go! I’m not expecting thes mixes to compete with some of the great up-mixers (DKA, Holland123 etc) but I’m hoping for more than I get from my AVR.

Will post my initial thoughts soon!

My USB multichannel capture device & A/D converter (Behringer UMC404HD) arrives today so can finally try my SM for the first time. I bought a stereo DAC too. My plan is to play stereo via DAC to SM then UMC404HD (as Quad) then to MCH wav which will end up as FLAC for playback.

Very excited about how this will sound. I’ve got a heap of stereo CD, SACD and Vinyl lined up and ready to go! I’m not expecting thes mixes to compete with some of the great up-mixers (DKA, Holland123 etc) but I’m hoping for more than I get from my AVR.

Will post my initial thoughts soon!

Hi. HomerJAU

I don't think you will be disappointed I have the SM and now EVERYTHING I have in Stereo I will only listen through the SM synth only because I fell there is something missing when you only play in Stereo only....

Is the one that came with the Ciani Quad LP the same as the other unit now on sale for more money (other than no SQ decoding)?

Ahhh, reading posts backwards makes one sound like quite the doofus. Anyway, my QSD-2 has been a bit wonky and I've been listening to Vari-Matrix and a lot of DTS rips <<<SHHHH>>>, and only stumbled on this thread as I'd been investigating a modern upgrade, and behold, there actually was one. Ever the cheapskate, and a fan of the Buchla, I eventually detemined that the Ciani LP hardware might only be lacking a switch and a case, but from the LP graphics seems like a basic 2-in 4-out proposition, which is how my Sansoupy is hooked up. Better yet, I found that by purchasing this otherwise sold out item through a hotel boutique I could get one of them 10% off codes. Wowsers! What a crazy world, just got the order confirmation, and who knows, there may be more, even though the press release said there'd only be one per location, check the Ace Hotel website if you've missed out and/or are on a bit of a budget. Better than getting some inferior legacy hardware that probably needs a recapping anyway!

Ahhh, reading posts backwards makes one sound like quite the doofus. Anyway, my QSD-2 has been a bit wonky and I've been listening to Vari-Matrix and a lot of DTS rips <<<SHHHH>>>, and only stumbled on this thread as I'd been investigating a modern upgrade, and behold, there actually was one. Ever the cheapskate, and a fan of the Buchla, I eventually detemined that the Ciani LP hardware might only be lacking a switch and a case, but from the LP graphics seems like a basic 2-in 4-out proposition, which is how my Sansoupy is hooked up. Better yet, I found that by purchasing this otherwise sold out item through a hotel boutique I could get one of them 10% off codes. Wowsers! What a crazy world, just got the order confirmation, and who knows, there may be more, even though the press release said there'd only be one per location, check the Ace Hotel website if you've missed out and/or are on a bit of a budget. Better than getting some inferior legacy hardware that probably needs a recapping anyway!

Yep - you cheapskate- its equivalent to a 4 channel Involve/ QS decoder!!!!

Yep - you cheapskate- its equivalent to a 4 channel Involve/ QS decoder!!!!

Hell, yeah, it was just sitting on a shelf in a fulfillment center (or perhaps a hotel gift shop) somewhere.

I promise to find a nice cigar box to mount it in!

Maybe I will find some cool buried electrostats for my system, too!

This thing is awesome, sorry I got to the party so late. Probably gonna put it in a case, I guess I should leave room for the heat sink to stick out, and perhaps some vent holes?

Ciani album is great, too. And I like it perhaps on SQ material best of all, but it improves everything.

Only peculiarity is that it makes a loud fart sometimes powering up when cold. I am going through a tape loop on 70's stereo equipment, using a separate amp for the rear channels. Should I be interconnecting everything with ground wires?

This thing is awesome, sorry I got to the party so late. Probably gonna put it in a case, I guess I should leave room for the heat sink to stick out, and perhaps some vent holes?

Ciani album is great, too. And I like it perhaps on SQ material best of all, but it improves everything.

Only peculiarity is that it makes a loud fart sometimes powering up when cold. I am going through a tape loop on 70's stereo equipment, using a separate amp for the rear channels. Should I be interconnecting everything with ground wires?

Main question is.....is there any hum, if yes then examine the ground wires.

Actually it does not do a good job with SQ, for that you really need the full surround master.

Main question is.....is there any hum, if yes then examine the ground wires.

Actually it does not do a good job with SQ, for that you really need the full surround master.

No hum, just need to make sure volume is down on starting receiver (Pioneer SX-1250).

Maybe it's not accurately decoding SQ, but there is sure a lot of rear channel info.

Thanks for that Fred B. I always found Dolby and DTS to be hit and miss. Since, I discovered Auro-3D, I use it almost exclusively on everything that passes through my AVR except for Dolby Surround sources. It sounds exceptional!
Have you tried Auro 3D or Dolby surround in your avr to decode SQ?

Back