HiRez Poll Keane - HOPES AND FEARS [SACD/DualDisc DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Keane - HOPES AND FEARS

• Total voters
"Hopes and Fears" was just re-issued on vinyl for those of you who like this album.

I meant to mention that! The original sounded nice, but I sold it when it became valuable and I preferred the remastered CD. I don't recall there being a huge amount in it. I wonder if it's the same cut...

Soo..to recap....

swapping front and rears and lowering the Center channel at least 6 dB does it????

I really like Keane, but, to me , is their masterpiece and the one that should have received the MCH mix was UTIS....

I'm not massively fond of UTIS, there are tracks I like on it a lot but I find it inconsistent and I found the sequencing of the tracks a bit clumsy at one spot. I just found out this morning that rewiring for Hopes... is a little more work than I anticipated as I use the pre-amp out to my stereo amp for the front pair. Looks like I might pick up some cheap cable to just run across the room to swap front and back!

I'm a bit late to the party on this, hopefully there are still some beers and girls left! :cool:

Got the SACD when it first came out but always thought it was odd sounding...

Well, well, well... Would you Adam and Eve it?! Swapping the fronts and rears fixes it and you have a great surround album! Haven't had time to fully play around with the levels yet...

There's a few releases like this going out with the wrong channel mapping? Some people clearly haven't got a Scooby Doo!

So cheers Fredblue for the heads up!

Soz for the bump was just wondering if there is another programme like audacity that can candle dsd type files?

All things considering I'm voting an 8.

I love the album and only just discovered that a 5.1 mix exists. I went ahead and picked up the SACD release, and while I like the surround mix, it did seem like it was mostly just all of the music coming from all five speakers. I love the idea of fixing the channels. I need to figure out how to do that on my Mac.

I love the album and only just discovered that a 5.1 mix exists. I went ahead and picked up the SACD release, and while I like the surround mix, it did seem like it was mostly just all of the music coming from all five speakers. I love the idea of fixing the channels. I need to figure out how to do that on my Mac.
I have the dual disc...which I love as it has video...wonderful!

I have both the SACD and the Dualdisc DVD-A version of Hopes and Fears. I have liked them, but would love to try switching fronts and rears. I am not sure how to do this, (other than switching over the speaker wires). I am a Mac User. I use VMware to make it work like a PC. I have audio extractor and HD solo. I don't think either can do this. Is there a way to flip it?

I have both the SACD and the Dualdisc DVD-A version of Hopes and Fears. I have liked them, but would love to try switching fronts and rears. I am not sure how to do this, (other than switching over the speaker wires). I am a Mac User. I use VMware to make it work like a PC. I have audio extractor and HD solo. I don't think either can do this. Is there a way to flip it?

it is easy (if i can do it anyone can!) please do PM anytime for more info. I am on a Mac also (y)

Yep, even I managed to somehow bludgeon my way through! Used audacity and you just want to Extract audio and follow fredblue's pictures posted earlier... I think that's how you do it, well it worked for me!

PS not sure if there's a way to do dsd files? But it works fine for flac.

Last edited:
Wow! Spending some time on a Saturday night futzing around, and the results are great... thank you, fredblue, for the fix on this album... it really sounds great with your suggestions applied (I actually love when there's a problem with a mix that can be remedied... gives me something cool to do while I listen to the music :) )

Didn't wish to get over Keane on this one for some reason...:unsure:
Well, how wrong can I be.
Everybody's Changing..and so am I !!!
A very pleasant surprise, I have just received the dual disc version.
After I read the recent write ups, I thought why not.
Glad I did.
Was thinking about an 8
But hey its Xmas, so its a 9 :LB

Wow! Spending some time on a Saturday night futzing around, and the results are great... thank you, fredblue, for the fix on this album... it really sounds great with your suggestions applied (I actually love when there's a problem with a mix that can be remedied... gives me something cool to do while I listen to the music :) )

you're welcome my friend, glad you like the switcheroo suggestions.
you know, i used to like futzing on a Saturday night too.. but i'm getting too old for all that now! :giggle:

Didn't wish to get over Keane on this one for some reason...:unsure:
Well, how wrong can I be.
Everybody's Changing..and so am I !!!
A very pleasant surprise, I have just received the dual disc version.
After I read the recent write ups, I thought why not.
Glad I did.
Was thinking about an 8
But hey its Xmas, so its a 9 :LB

"ohhh everybody's changing,
the channels aren't the same.."

(try swapping your Front L&R with your Rear L&R for this one and then turning the "new Rears" down a bit! if you're not Keane on the idea initially, give it a go! its fun for a little Friday night futzing.. its easily done.. and it might just turn your 9 into a 10!) :p

Anyone's got an idea on who mixed this?
(I just gathered a database of all the blurays and dvds I own, and I'm including the note of the mix engineer)

Back