King Crimson - Heaven & Earth box set (18CD / 4 BD-A / 2 DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diving into this massive box set this weekend, watching the Blu Ray videos now. Read some of the liner notes last night, trying to get a feel for everything, a bit overwhelming, different gigs, personal, live vs studio, Projecxts vs King Crimson, improv recordings. I have been studying KC for about 3 weeks now and certainly is not easy to grasp the entire body of work.
I certainly am not worrying about the speed change as I wouldn't be able to notice the difference as I am a newcomer.
I have many box sets and this is the best value for money, it is #1 vs Rush box sets are the worst value for your money.
I am not willing to say I am a KC fan yet but I am highly intrigued. They are coming to The Fox in Oakland two nights Sept 5&6. I think I will go to one of the shows for my musical education.
Go and see them, you won't be disappointed, apart from the amazing musicianship, watching the 3 drummers hitting in sync is mind blowing! They also do quite a lot of the early Crimson numbers with stuff from In the Court, Islands, etc.

Amazon says July 1 expected delivery. Same look and feel as the Floyd vinyl that never was...

Anyone else order from Amazon UK and seeing this?
Anyone else have a successful order from Amazon recently with anything else? (Where they have the lowest price but push the shipping date out.)

Go and see them, you won't be disappointed, apart from the amazing musicianship, watching the 3 drummers hitting in sync is mind blowing! They also do quite a lot of the early Crimson numbers with stuff from In the Court, Islands, etc.
I noticed on the videos there are no women in the crowds, being a hard rock concert fan I am used to lots of women at concerts. Might be hard listening with a bunch of aged sweaty KC fans:D

Amazon says July 1 expected delivery. Same look and feel as the Floyd vinyl that never was...

Anyone else order from Amazon UK and seeing this?
Anyone else have a successful order from Amazon recently with anything else? (Where they have the lowest price but push the shipping date out.)
Ordered from Amazon UK, shipping was late and should have received it today, but apparently delayed to tomorrow. It's in Madrid already, I don't think there'll be any more delays. Usually these big boxes are well packaged in Europe

My copy arrived from Amazon UK today. Eight days after release date, I can't complain. It was shipped in a flimsy package, but the box arrived unscathed.

Hopefully I will have similar luck with the Tangerine Dream box.

:51QQ

It dawned on me that as exhaustive as this box set is (as are all the other Krimson boxes) there's one short little piece that I wish had been included. (Unless it's actually included and I've missed it as I scan the box's track listing. There's a lot here!) The album's original track list included an acoustic reprise of "I Have a Dream". For some reason, Virgin asked the band to remove it. Belew in particular was not happy with the request but Fripp convinced him to make the concession. Belew would later give the track away as a free MP3 download on his website.

What a mind melt. I ripped the 18 CD's, and two DVD-A's watched listened to about half of the Blu Rays. I hate King Crimson. Not really but I am KC burned out after a 3 week emersion.
I am glad to have this box set, but have no interest in the other box sets, the standalones are good enough. I can only hear the same song 50 times and then becomes too much for me.
I am not going to rip the Blu Rays, just not worth it to me.
For those of you who bought the stand alone's you made a good choice. One box set would be about 5 days of listening.
The 5.1 DVD-A's are perfect, highly enjoyable.
I just need to listen to a little more, but I am going on a KC vacation and heading down to LA for the Soundgarden immersive film at The Wiltern Monday night.

What a mind melt. I ripped the 18 CD's, and two DVD-A's watched listened to about half of the Blu Rays. I hate King Crimson. Not really but I am KC burned out after a 3 week emersion.
I am glad to have this box set, but have no interest in the other box sets, the standalones are good enough. I can only hear the same song 50 times and then becomes too much for me.
I am not going to rip the Blu Rays, just not worth it to me.
For those of you who bought the stand alone's you made a good choice. One box set would be about 5 days of listening.
The 5.1 DVD-A's are perfect, highly enjoyable.
I just need to listen to a little more, but I am going on a KC vacation and heading down to LA for the Soundgarden immersive film at The Wiltern Monday night.

I understand totally, Markie. Play what You Like ..... NO, LOVE. I like KC, always have but I recently had my own meltdown when I attempted to watch their latest BD~V "Meltdown in Mexico...." Did absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather watch NETFLIX!

Please yourself ........ it's like forcing yourself to watch a foreign movie with subtitles that you have little or NO interest in. Spend the money on 'crafting' a Markie Mark Man Cave.....with soundproofing and then and only then will you achieve NIRVANA ....... Oh, Nevermind!

I understand totally, Markie. Play what You Like ..... NO, LOVE. I like KC, always have but I recently had my own meltdown when I attempted to watch their latest BD~V "Meltdown in Mexico...." Did absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather watch NETFLIX!

Please yourself ........ it's like forcing yourself to watch a foreign movie with subtitles that you have little or NO interest in. Spend the money on 'crafting' a Markie Mark Man Cave.....with soundproofing and then and only then will you achieve NIRVANA ....... Oh, Nevermind!
You got that right, me and Valentine Girl have been going back and forth for a year on what to do with the spare bedroom, I have been gaining ever so slightly towards my endevour of a listening room.

Got this box from the Post Office a couple of days ago. So I'm currently ripping through the DVD-A's and Blu-rays and is it just me or am I noticing the ProjeKct X: Heaven and Earth material being absent from the DVD-A that it's slated to be on? It's not on the Bluray either but it's not included from what I'm gathering, so it's off the CD I suppose.

Last edited:
If Canada doesn't have the 2 stands alone DVD-a by the end of the week, I will order from BS, I should have done that in the first place and save money on top of this.

Got this box from the Post Office a couple of days ago. So I'm currently ripping through the DVD-A's and Blu-rays and is it just me or am I noticing the ProjeKct X: Heaven and Earth material being absent from the DVD-A that it's slated to be on? It's not on the Bluray either but it's not included from what I'm gathering, so it's off the CD I suppose.
It's on the stand-alone DVD-A I bought.

The Project X - Heaven & Earth is in stereo on Disc-19 The ReconstruKction Of Light DVD-A, and everything Project X is in stereo across Disc-21 & Disc-22 The Projects Vol. I & Vol. II BDAs. However, not all the King Crimson Live ConstruKction tracks found on CDs are on the BDAs from what I can make out. I haven't been able to listen to any yet! but I did manage to help Snood, so hopefully I'll be able to listen to some of it when I get back home again at the end of next week. Off mother sitting now.

Ordered from Amazon UK, shipping was late and should have received it today, but apparently delayed to tomorrow. It's in Madrid already, I don't think there'll be any more delays. Usually these big boxes are well packaged in Europe

Heh, just got an email this morning stating the order is being dispatched and they changed the date from July 1 to June 25. And the little graphic shipping timeline indicator actually updated. After pre-ordering a month ago! Well, it looks like this might actually happen? (The timeline graphic thingy never moved on the Floyd vinyl they cancelled on me after two months of bait and switch.)

What I get for being cheap I suppose!

How's the 5.1 remix of the Heaven and Earth album?

How's the 5.1 remix of the Heaven and Earth album?

I've only just started to scratch the surface on this box. (There's a ton of content here.) So someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that the ProjeKct X Heaven and Earth album was remixed into 5.1. However, the ProjeKct X song "Heaven and Earth" that was originally a bonus track on The ConstruKction of Light is mixed into 5.1. I played the ReconstrucKction of Light 5.1 mix for the first time last night. The 5.1 mix of the "Heaven and Earth" track was very cool. Frippertronic textures in the fronts, lead guitar in the rear. As Belew once said, "I like it!"

Hey all, a subscriber on the Life in Surround YouTube channel has asked whether there is something amiss with the bass on the two DVD-As.
He says the stereo plays with plenty of bass, but the surround mix leaves his sub idle. I do not recall this problem. I'll be investigating.
Meanwhile, can anybody do some rips and wav analysis, to help determine what the bass in the mixes is like, and maybe help our surround friend troubleshoot?
Thanks.

The Project X - Heaven & Earth is in stereo on Disc-19 The ReconstruKction Of Light DVD-A, and everything Project X is in stereo across Disc-21 & Disc-22 The Projects Vol. I & Vol. II BDAs. However, not all the King Crimson Live ConstruKction tracks found on CDs are on the BDAs from what I can make out. I haven't been able to listen to any yet! but I did manage to help Snood, so hopefully I'll be able to listen to some of it when I get back home again at the end of next week. Off mother sitting now.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to take a harder look when I come back from holiday. Off to see KC's 3 nights at the RAH. First up though - Bryan Ferry playing tonight at the exact same venue. :)

Back