HiRez Poll King Crimson - Larks' Tongue in Aspic [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I had never heard this album before and gave it a listen today. Actually, until these releases I haven't ever really listened to KC much. I've been impressed with the sound of all of them but some have left me less than wowed with the music. While this one isn't my favorite musically, I do enjoy it and have to say that it's a made for surround album. And the mix and sound are stellar. Even if I can't rate the music a 10, the mix gets an 11. Really impressive. If I thought I had a listener that would appreciate the music, this would be my demo disc.

K

Awwww..
come on guys!
You can't compare "LTIA" to "Discipline" in an album level...
2 different line ups should not be held accountable for the music they create...etc.
apples and oranges, kids!

Now , the reason that the mix for "Discipline" is easier to translate to Surround is because of its "dry" mix.

(One of MANY differences)

Now...personally I like "LTIA" better as a mix.
But, that's personal....

I had never heard this album before and gave it a listen today. Actually, until these releases I haven't ever really listened to KC much. I've been impressed with the sound of all of them but some have left me less than wowed with the music. While this one isn't my favorite musically, I do enjoy it and have to say that it's a made for surround album. And the mix and sound are stellar. Even if I can't rate the music a 10, the mix gets an 11. Really impressive. If I thought I had a listener that would appreciate the music, this would be my demo disc.

K

Hits the nail on the head. My favorite KC album remains ITCOTCK by far. I only wish it sounded as good as LTIA. Great mix and sonics. I gave it a "9" because this will not make it in my regular rotation. Although, I will try to let it grow on me...

This has been my favorite one so far. Maybe because I spent the most money on it. I went with the box set with the Blu-ray.

This has been my favorite one so far. Maybe because I spent the most money on it. I went with the box set with the Blu-ray.

Ditto for me..I even have BOTH versions, the box set and the normal DVD-A...

I have even listened to ALL of the bootlegs, and , although the SQ is horrible, the performances (especially the improvs) are REALLY MIND BLOWING...now I understand why they were included...man , this line up was ON FIRE..I am considering repeated listenings of those bootlegs..they are THAT good!

Personally , as a musician , I have been an advocate for many years now , that a percussionist adds A LOT to a group..even a small group...

As for the price , I think that the Layla box set was more expensive, and less value for your buck....

This really is without a doubt IMO the GREATEST surround mix yet!

I still can't believe it's sitting 2nd to "Dark Side" (as great as Dark Side is).

If all surround mixes were like this one, we wouldn't even need a poll!

10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 :)

This really is without a doubt IMO the GREATEST surround mix yet!

I still can't believe it's sitting 2nd to "Dark Side" (as great as Dark Side is).

If all surround mixes were like this one, we wouldn't even need a poll!

10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 :)

And for me, this is one of my favourite albums, so I'm in heaven...

SW mixing King Crimson - I dreamed of this stuff back in the early millennium - and it came true!

What the 5.1 mix really shows me is the interplay between Muir and Bruford.

the build up to the release and the pay off on repeated listens since continually reward me. Jamie Muir's contributions come to life, he painted his own brand of soundscape on this album and makes it a very special release. Easily a 10 for me, even with the pedestal I've always put this album on. It had a lot to live up to.

This "review" (haha) is for the blu ray version. Just brilliant. To toss some comments in about the "session" disk, amazing to hear. Highlight was Jamie working out the kalimba (thumb piano) for LTIA pt.1. Elsewhere in the box, his isolated percussion for Easy Money is incredible to hear. Can you tell I'm impressed with how all involved made sure Jamie Muir was recognized for his contributions?

I concur on Jamie's contributions as amazing. However at the same time there seemed to be a manic energy going on at the same time that IMHO would be unsustainable in the long run for the others. This release is all the more special because of this 'in the mouth of madness' period producing spectacular results albeit for such a brief moment in time. It's no wonder that Fripp would characterize SABB as experiencing a low ebb as to question whether to continue. Jamie was such an intergalactic pillar it did take a rethink.

My New Fave for now fo sho...........but not yet a 10 - pretty close tho

Loved the way it started with Larks, but then it took the foot off the pedal for a couple songs altho they were nice

The last 3 songs Easy Money, Talking Drum (altho it took a lil while) and Larks Part 2 were Great - much more guitar driven

The drums were pretty damn gooooooood too

The 5.1 was of course excellent another great SW mix :banana:

Lotta content which is great

Loved the videos also - watched them all - too funny that drummer Jamie Muir

The last 3 songs Easy Money, Talking Drum (altho it took a lil while) and Larks Part 2 were Great
There's no turning back now brother. As this is a poll thread, I've just voted an overall nine.

Last edited:
Me knowwwwws - just bought a couple stereo cds :mad:@:

Don't buy Thrak yet, there seems to be a big box with the 5.1 on the works!
A surround mix of the Power to Believe is unlikely at this point, and same for Construktion of light (the weakest of all KC albums, in my opinion) so I guess you're on the safe side if you buy both CDs

A surround mix of the Power to Believe is unlikely at this point, and same for Construktion of light (the weakest of all KC albums, in my opinion) so I guess you're on the safe side if you buy both CDs

It's curious how we can agree to disagree...I think TCOL is one of the best (Even better , but not by much than TPTB)..it has an agressive edge to it , besides "baring down" to the quartet and showing Trey's prowess as a Warr Bass/Guitarist ...

Now, one I'd love in 5.1 would be "THRAKKATTAKK"!!!

According to the tour box they are selling from the merch table, all but Earthbound and USA are getting the 5.1 treatment. They are also selling the tour box in the shop: http://shop.schizoidshop.com/the-elements-of-king-crimson---2014-tour-box-p1423.aspx

edit: Let me amend that to say that all prominent studio releases are getting the 5.1 treatment, unfortunately Thrakattak is a live compilation so I guess it isn't being worked up - yet (maybe a bonus for Thrak?? That would be cool). Neither are any of the ProjecKCt releases or the ProjeKct X album. I think the The ConstruKction of Light will make a great DVD-A, as will Power To Believe. Neither are exactly my favorite KC albums, but I might like them a lot better unfolded into 5.1. There is a lot going on with those. The Starless box that is upcoming purports to have some live shows presented in quad as they were recorded. I look very forward to that.

According to the tour box they are selling from the merch table, all but Earthbound and USA are getting the 5.1 treatment. They are also selling the tour box in the shop: http://shop.schizoidshop.com/the-elements-of-king-crimson---2014-tour-box-p1423.aspx

edit: Let me amend that to say that all prominent studio releases are getting the 5.1 treatment, unfortunately Thrakattak is a live compilation so I guess it isn't being worked up - yet (maybe a bonus for Thrak?? That would be cool). Neither are any of the ProjecKCt releases or the ProjeKct X album. I think the The ConstruKction of Light will make a great DVD-A, as will Power To Believe. Neither are exactly my favorite KC albums, but I might like them a lot better unfolded into 5.1. There is a lot going on with those. The Starless box that is upcoming purports to have some live shows presented in quad as they were recorded. I look very forward to that.

Does the boxset say so? It's great news, as I think Steven Wilson is done with KC remixes and Jakko was only committed to do Thrak. Maybe they've changed their minds and now Jakko will do the rest. Let's see anyway what he did with Thrak after the BBC fiasco

Back