King Crimson - "Meltdown: Live in Mexico"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_meltdown-live-in-mexico_cd-bluray

A 3CD/1Blu-Ray set featuring over three and a half hours of material performed during King Crimson’s five night residency at Teatro Metropolitan, Mexico City in July 2017 plus audio extras.

The Blu-Ray contains over two hours of multi-camera HD recorded footage, audio soundtrack in 24/48 LPCM, hi-res stereo and 5.1 DTS HD-MA (with 'picture off’ mode allowing the music to be heard independently in lossless audio).

Meltdown includes, for the first time with this line-up, audio recordings of Breathless, Discipline, Moonchild and Tony and Jeremy’s nightly Cadenza improvs.

Mixed by King Crimson member Bill Rieflin from full multi-track recordings and presented in two mini-vinyl style gatefold packs with booklet - including photos by Tony Levin and sleeve notes - enclosed in an outer slipcase.

A comprehensive overview of a band at the peak of its performing ability.

CD 1

Walk On
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part One
Neurotica
Cirkus
Dawn Song
Last Skirmish
Prince Rupert's Lament
The Hell Hounds of Krim
Red
Fallen Angel
Islands
The Talking Drum
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part Two

CD2

Indiscipline
The ConstruKction of Light
Epitaph
Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
Easy Money
Interlude
The Letters
The Sailor's Tale
CatalytiKc No. 9
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

CD3

Peace - An End
Pictures of a City
Devil Dogs Of Tessellation Row
Fracture
The Court of the Crimson King
Heroes
21st Century Schizoid Man
Discipline
Moonchild
Tony's Cadenza
Jeremy's Cadenza
Breathless

Blu-Ray (audio/video)

Neurotica
Pictures of a City
Cirkus
Dawn Song
Last Skirmish
Prince Rupert's Lament
Epitaph
Devil Dogs
Fracture
Islands

Indiscipline
Peace - An End
Easy Money
Interlude
The Letters
The Sailors Tale
Catalytic No 9
Fallen Angel
The Talking Drum
Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part 2
Starless

The Hell Hounds of Krim
21st Century Schizoid Man

mexico.jpg

Uhmmm, mixed by Bill instead of Jakko or David, that's quite a surprise. After the Unseat mix fiasco, I'll wait until somebody reports on the mix before buying.
Thanks for the sharing the finding

Well...IMO the marketing department might have gone a tad overboard on the description.."a band at the peak of its performing ability...really?...in 2017?

Not an exaggeration. The only lineup of King Crimson that is better than this current one is the 1972-1974 lineup, and this new lineup plays lot of great tracks from the first four albums that the Wetton-Bruford era lineup never touched, plus this lineup really does seem to get better each and every year. I hear they might be coming back to the US next year. If so, I think I better start saving up money for travel expenses!

:)

Not an exaggeration. The only lineup of King Crimson that is better than this current one is the 1972-1974 lineup, and this new lineup plays lot of great tracks from the first four albums that the Wetton-Bruford era lineup never touched, plus this lineup really does seem to get better each and every year. I hear they might be coming back to the US next year. If so, I think I better start saving up money for travel expenses!

I agree, start saving! my brother and I are going to see them again in October in Cardiff.

Well yes the 70's lineup is what I was talking about...and speaking of 70...Fripp…Collins...and Levin are all in THEIR 70's...I guess 70 years old is the new 50:cool:...you certainly are more up to date on this band than I am...but it's hard to believe that a 72 year old Fripp is better than he was in his 20's...just saying...maybe the band is more well rounded now....just saying

Well yes the 70's lineup is what I was talking about...and speaking of 70...Fripp…Collins...and Levin are all in THEIR 70's...I guess 70 years old is the new 50:cool:...you certainly are more up to date on this band than I am...but it's hard to believe that a 72 year old Fripp is better than he was in his 20's...just saying...maybe the band is more well rounded now....just saying

That's exactly what it is! It's not that Fripp is necessarily better than he was in the 70s (or any other decade) but this is the only assembly of musicians that can basically do justice to all eras of King Crimson properly. Between 1981 and 2014, all King Crimson would play would be material from the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s with a few exceptions (like "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. II" and "Red") but now this new lineup can play just about anything that Fripp throws at them. I for one am most looking forward to hearing tracks like "Neurotica", "Cirkus", The "Lizard" suite, "Fracture", "Islands", and "Fallen Angel" once I get ahold of the Blu-Ray.

That's exactly what it is! It's not that Fripp is necessarily better than he was in the 70s (or any other decade) but this is the only assembly of musicians that can basically do justice to all eras of King Crimson properly. Between 1981 and 2014, all King Crimson would play would be material from the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s with a few exceptions (like "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. II" and "Red") but now this new lineup can play just about anything that Fripp throws at them. I for one am most looking forward to hearing tracks like "Neurotica", "Cirkus", The "Lizard" suite, "Fracture", "Islands", and "Fallen Angel" once I get ahold of the Blu-Ray.

Islands is great live

Uhmmm, mixed by Bill instead of Jakko or David, that's quite a surprise. After the Unseat mix fiasco, I'll wait until somebody reports on the mix before buying.
Thanks for the sharing the finding
I don't mind the mix of Radical Action, but if you compare it to Orpheum or to the first CD of the Royal Package Audio Diary (in A/B)... well those are audiophile quality, and Radical action is not. More than Orpheum, I was surprised to hear the quality of the Audio Diary CD1. Larks' 1 is superb. The best coda ever recorded. Scarcity of miracles is also very nice and dynamic.

Thanks! I had a look at this list, but I am not familiar with any of the albums he mixed. Any comments on those?

The fact that you aren't familiar with any of these albums is not a bad thing..IMO...probably a good thing...as I was reading the numerous albums he was a part of I alternated between laughter and sympathy....by the time I got to that all time classic album..."Eat Shit, You Fucking Redneck"(he was given credit as the Composer)I'm not so sure I would want credit for a lot of these(clears throat)"projects"....

I remember when King Crimson would hit the road hungry to play new material deviously constructed to confuse most people and further, spend a good portion of the show improvising without a net. I guess I'll say I'm happy for the fans who wanted to go out and hear a retrospective of album cuts and were always bewildered by the shows they used to put on. I'd rather listen to Earthbound.

curiously enough, the band is now better than ever with no sign of stopping...and Maestro Fripp may not be as "agile" as he was but he certainly does not show it. Kudos to them.
And of course there is the three best drummers in the world front row.. there IS a reason why they are IN THE FRONT... To experience them RIGHT in FRONT is an experience I'll NEVER forget...

curiously enough, the band is now better than ever with no sign of stopping...and Maestro Fripp may not be as "agile" as he was but he certainly does not show it. Kudos to them.
And of course there is the three best drummers in the world front row.. there IS a reason why they are IN THE FRONT... To experience them RIGHT in FRONT is an experience I'll NEVER forget...

I can also hear them in the back in surround in their latest DVD, which is a great experience.

Back