Lafayette Radio and Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emaidel

I'm brand new to this site, but hardly new to quad (nor to this planet, as I'm 62 years old!). Still, I find it a bit odd that, at least as of yet, I've seen no mention anywhere of Lafayette-branded quad equipment.

Lafayette made some very good electronics, and was the industy leader (insofar as retailing) to promote quadraphonic sound in the 70's. All of its stores converted their sound rooms to 4-channel rooms (I had the "luck" to actually do many of these conversions myself), and Lafayette had, for many years until the Tate decoder became available, the best SQ decoder anywhere.

I personally sold many of Lafayette's outboard SQ decoder to the managers, and salespeople, of many of my competitors, as all knew that this $99.95 device was a minor miracle, insofar as effectively decoding SQ records. The last edition of it had a feature called "Vari-Blend," which was never adequately explained either by Lafayette to the public, nor to me by several of Lafayette's engineers, but it did a wonderful job of maintaining decent separation, without the customary "pumping and breathing" so common with full-logic circuits (which, incidentally, were available only in Lafayette-branded equipment for several years).

Lafayette also had a circuit in some of its quad receivers (and in the outboard decoder) called, "Composer A." This circuitry was designed to simulate quad effects from 2-channel sources, and did such a good job, that many such simulations actually sounded better than SQ-encoded material did. The Composer A circuitry was also tested (I don't remember by whom) to be the BEST QS decoder on the market, and that was entirely by accident! I'm sure Sansui didn't much like this either.

Lafayette's LR-4000 was the company's first quality 4-channel receiver, and the first in the industry to incorporate full-logic wavematching SQ circuitry (and the terrific Composer A circuit). The 4000 was slightly improved with the "A" version a year or so later, and then the LR-5000 was introduced. While the 5000 had more power, and included the "Vari-Blend" circuit, the Composer A circuit gave way to the FTC-mandated "Regular Matrix" circuit, which did a very poor job of simulating quad effects from 2-channel sources. Adding the company's outboard decoder solved all this, but from a marketing standpoint, that wasn't what the company preached. And, to be blunt, Lafayette's CD-4 module (which was a royal pain to insert into the receiver) was the worst in the industry.

We had quad receivers from several other manufacturers in our stores, and the Lafayette units held their own against the best of them. Just thought I"d add this to the forum as a bit of history.:D

Welcome emaidel! I think you will find though, that there is a lot of respect on this site for the SQ-W decoder; second only to the Tate designs in their performance and desireability. The rest of their equipment is pretty pedestrian for the most part, and it is Sansui who rules the roost here. Also, this forum is pretty global ... Europeans, Australians, even a bunch of friggin' Canadians. As far as I know, Lafayette wasn't marketed much outside of the USA. Mike.

Thanks for posting. As a Lafayette SQ-W owner (from ebay a few years back) I need to keep all that you wrote in mind as I keep getting tempted by the Tate's that show up ever so often on ebay:) Both my wife and wallet thank you for that info......

Steve C

Welcome emaidel!

The rest of their equipment is pretty pedestrian for the most part

As far as I know, Lafayette wasn't marketed much outside of the USA. Mike.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm very happy to have found this site. Lafayette's tape decks were awful (made by none less than Nakamichi!) and their "Criterion" branded speakers never quite held a candle to many of the better known name brands.

And, you're right - none of their stuff was marketing outside of this country.:D

Thanks for posting. As a Lafayette SQ-W owner (from ebay a few years back) I need to keep all that you wrote in mind as I keep getting tempted by the Tate's that show up ever so often on ebay:) Both my wife and wallet thank you for that info......

Steve C

Glad to be of help. Do you know if your SQ-W has the Vari-blend circuitry? It was never printed on the outside of the unit, but was included in those manufactured around 1975. Either way, you've got the best there was at the time. And, I'm sure you'll agree with me that the Composer-A circuitry is pretty impressive.:D

Likewise, I'm an SQ-W owner by way of ebay sometime back -- my unit didn't seem to be working right upon delivery and I hope to get it back from an audio-tinkerer friend soon. Those Tates really do get tempting when you hear all of the praise about them!

I've always been curious about the results when using a unit that is "known" for decoding one matrix (i.e. Lafayette=SQ, Sansui=QS) to decode the other (on the appropriate matrix setting of course). Would love to hear more about that "Composer A for QS review" -- can anyone add anything to that?

Mark Z

Would love to hear more about that "Composer A for QS review" -- can anyone add anything to that?

Mark Z

I'm afraid I can't except to say that it was a known industry publication that printed graphic separation results on various quad formats. A perfect "X" on the graph indicated "perfect" separation, which is what the CD-4 format received, as well as QS records when played back through the Composer A circuit. Other than that, I can't be of much help.:D

Hello Emaidel,
since you know a lot about Lafayette, and some of us are not from USA (me i'm from Italy), could you create a chart of the lafayette quad equipments, to know specifically what were these units and what they had inside?
For exmple, IIRC the LA524 should have a SQ-W inside, and maybe it's easier to find that the SQ-W itself.

could you create a chart of the lafayette quad equipments, to know specifically what were these units and what they had inside?
QUOTE]

I can't quite create a chart, but I can add the following: all of Lafayetete's add-on units with built in amplifiers had decoders other than SQ-W in them. The unit you mentioned, the LA-524 had the basic matrix, or as Lafayette called it, the SQ-M circuit. The best add-on amp, with a built in decoder was the LA-975, but the decoder in that was single logic.

The LR-4000, 4000-A, 5000, 5000-A and 441 receivers all had the SQ-W circuitry. The 5000, 5000-A and 441 had the Variblend feature as well.

Hope that helped.:D

I can't state for sure, but I believe Lafayette's original endorsement of quad was the possibility of selling additional loudspeakers. Lafayette's private brand, Criterion, was enormously profitable for the company, and numerous packages with decoder/amplifiers and a pair of Criterion speakers were offered in the hopes that many of the thousands of people with stereo systems would jump at the opportunity to convert their "ordinary" 2-channel systems into the newer 4-channel variety.

Lafayette also concentrated far too heavily on "cheap." Even if it had a receiver (such as the LR-1500T, which Consumer Reports gave a check-rated, "Best Buy" accolade to, and did so for five years), Lafayette insisted on coupling it with a bottom-line Garrard changer and two cheap Criterion speakers as a supposedly attractive package. None of those of us who sold the stuff liked this approach, as the receiver was in one class, and the rest of the equipment was borderline junk.

When the LR-4000 was introduced, it was a $500 piece of equipment - astonishingly high for something with the "Lafayette" brand on it. It was also an exceptionally good piece of equipment too, and the first in the industry to incorporate the SQ-W circuitry. So, what did the "geniuses" at the upper management enclave of the company do? They packaged it with that same cheapo Garrard changer, and four really lousy Criterion speakers just to "hit a price point." The result: no sales!

Then, by pairing it with a slightly better (but still lousy) Garrard changer, and four infinitely better Criterion speakers (a model which got a decent rating in Consumer Reports), and at a much higher price point, the system actually sold!

If it weren't for the company's insistence in "cheap," I think the Lafayette name would have had far more acceptance in the marketplace than it did. Lots of stuff with the Lafayette name on it wasn't especially good: almost any clock radio: most of the all-in-one $300 or less stereo "systems" (made by the industry stalwarts such as Electrophonic, and Sound Design); practically any Lafayette tape deck (made, amazingly, by Nakamichi); and a host of other products. The receivers, amplifiers and tuners, however were all quite good, and suffered by comparison to other products.:D

could you create a chart of the lafayette quad equipments, to know specifically what were these units and what they had inside?
QUOTE]

I can't quite create a chart, but I can add the following: all of Lafayetete's add-on units with built in amplifiers had decoders other than SQ-W in them. The unit you mentioned, the LA-524 had the basic matrix, or as Lafayette called it, the SQ-M circuit. The best add-on amp, with a built in decoder was the LA-975, but the decoder in that was single logic.

The LR-4000, 4000-A, 5000, 5000-A and 441 receivers all had the SQ-W circuitry. The 5000, 5000-A and 441 had the Variblend feature as well.

Hope that helped.:D

I'm really glad to finally hear that the LR-5000 has the SQ-W circuitry in it, and from an expert in the lafayette line. I was told this when I had my 5000 serviced , but was told I was wrong by a fellow board member who insisted this was not true.Thanks so much for the clarification. It is really a nice decoding receiver in the SQ mode. :sun

I'm really glad to finally hear that the LR-5000 has the SQ-W circuitry in it, and from an expert in the lafayette line.

Glad you found my post useful. Not to burst your bubble, but the SQ-W circuitry in the LR-5000, which also had Variblend, wasn't quite as good as the separate SQ-W/Variblend circuit in the company's outboard decoder, but still was light years ahead of anything else out there with the singular exception of the Tate products that didn't appear until many years later.:D

Glad you found my post useful. Not to burst your bubble, but the SQ-W circuitry in the LR-5000, which also had Variblend, wasn't quite as good as the separate SQ-W/Variblend circuit in the company's outboard decoder, but still was light years ahead of anything else out there with the singular exception of the Tate products that didn't appear until many years later.:D

Would that have anything to do with the SQ-W being built with all individual transistors and the 5000 having the 3 IC design? Either way, it does sound better than almost any other SQ decoder on the market at that time except for the Tate . Many thanks for the info.

I can't explain what the differences were in the circuitry of the two. The outboard unit had better rear left/right separation. Both have outstanding center front/rear separation, however. I always found that, for the best effects while listening to an SQ source on the receiver's circuit, that a slightly raised volume in the rear provided a better effect. Still, nothing else ever came close. I too had an LR-5000 for many years and enjoyed it immensely.

Then, I moved onto the very bizarre world of being an audiophile....:D

Audiophiles? The ones that spend 1200 USD for a cable? :)

Hi, emaidel, hope you're well tonight. I have an sq-w, and was wondering if you recall how to tell when these were made, since you've reported that the last edition (1975-ish) had the vari-blend circuit. Also, I have a stand-alone CD-4 decoder from Lafayette as well. What was the general feeling about those? Thx - Forrest

I seem to remember that I lusted for an LA-84 back then. Was that just a quad amp? I think it required another component to make the system.

I tried to get my parents to go for it, but they balked. :(

Hi, emaidel, hope you're well tonight. I have an sq-w, and was wondering if you recall how to tell when these were made, since you've reported that the last edition (1975-ish) had the vari-blend circuit. Also, I have a stand-alone CD-4 decoder from Lafayette as well. What was the general feeling about those? Thx - Forrest

I don't remember exactly, but I believe the SQ-W without Variblend was sold from 1973-1974, and then the improved version with Variblend became available in 1975. Unfortunately, there is no indication anywhere on the units themselves to indicate whether or not Variblend is in them. I knew the difference at the time (which is a long time ago!) because the stock numbers were different, but I have no recollection whatsoever as to what those numbers were.

Insofar as the CD-4 unit, I don't remember a stand-alone CD-4 unit from Lafayette, but it was likely the same as the plug-in circuit board that went into several of Lafayette's receivers. It was, unfortunately, one of the worst CD-4 demodulators around because it was so noisy. I installed one in my LR-5000, and then purchased a stand-alone Pioneer unit, which was infinitely better. I suspect the fact that the Lafayette CD-4 demodulators were so bad was almost deliberate: the company endorsed SQ and didn't want to be seen as endorsing CD-4 in any manner.:D

I seem to remember that I lusted for an LA-84 back then. Was that just a quad amp? I think it required another component to make the system.

I tried to get my parents to go for it, but they balked. :(

Frankly, I don't remember. Sorry.:(

Back