Lafayette Radio and Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I am the only person here in Finland who has Lafayette. And it seems to be a model that no one has any information. I desperately need (service) manual etc. for Lafayette LA-975. not even know how to connect LA-975 correct... one old magazine ad say "needs amplifier with tape monitor"??? What? I think it is 4-channel amp itself?

In couple of weeks I will get also Lafayette LR-441 which has no manual etc. also.

Was these good models? Any information will be nice... Many thanks.

Maybe I am the only person here in Finland who has Lafayette. And it seems to be a model that no one has any information. I desperately need (service) manual etc. for Lafayette LA-975. not even know how to connect LA-975 correct... one old magazine ad say "needs amplifier with tape monitor"??? What? I think it is 4-channel amp itself?

Many thanks.

The LA-975 was a foolishly confusing product Lafayette should never have produced. It was first, a complete 2-channel amplifier (with all the necessary function any other 2-channel amp had) but offered the Dynaquad effect, or as Lafayette called it, "Derived" 4- channel sound - something Lafayette did with all of its 2-channel products at the time.

Alternatively, it could have been used as an add-on rear amplifier to an existing 2 channel setup, including SQ-W circuitry. It worked quite well in that capacity, but it made no sense to be both a stand-alone 2-channel amp (with simulated quad capability), or an add-on amp to convert existing systems to fully-operational quad systems. All it really did was confuse the he** out of everyone, and as I recall, we sold very few of them.

Thanks emaidel, Yes I am really confused too... so it is not real 4-channel althou it has 4CH selector and speakers connectors both front and rear (and if I connect 4 speaker to it I can hear them all)?

I have connected my Quadraphonic 8-track cassette player to it and it will give me 4-channel... its this just fake quardaphonic?

AND If I like to listen sq (or cd-4 albums) should I connect my record player to Lafayette OR to another amp which should be connect to Lafayette (to what input)??? and then connect Lafayette to my another amp (to what input)? AND if that complicated... should I connect my front speakers to another amp and only rear speakers to Lafayette? Aaargh...

And how should I use front panel 4-channel selector and Speaker mode buttons in Lafayette... I really like to know how to setup to get best possible 4-channel/sq out of that machine.
lafayette_frontback.jpg

Yes, this piece is confusing. Think of this as an add-on unit, which converts an existing 2ch amp or receiver to TRUE 4ch. This is the most common use. It can also be used as a self-contained 2ch amp. The last part is what makes it confusing.

Hopefully, I can help you make sense of this:

1- This is NOT 4 channels of amplification. It has 2 ch of amplification, and needs another piece to make it 4 (see below.) It will drive 4 speakers without another 2ch amp/receiver, but only as synthesized (fake) quad using the Dynaco system.

2- It will do true discrete or matrix Quad with another 2ch amp attached to it. This is the most common use. In this scenario, the tape monitor outputs from the external 2ch amp/receiver (front channels) would connect to source (second from top right.) The front output jacks on the Lafayette (top center on back panel) will then connect to the tape monitor inputs on the external 2ch amp/receiver. The external receiver MUST have it's tape monitor loop activated. The selector knob on the far left should be set to Source when using any source attached to the other receiver/amp (AM/FM, etc.) ANY source connected directly to the Lafayette would be controlled by other positions on the selector. In that event, only the tape monitor switch on the other receiver/amp would be used. Although this seems confusing, it will be evident when connected properly.

3- I suggest connecting all your sources directly to the Lafayette and using it as your main control. The additional 2ch amp/receiver should only be used for AM/FM. Once the volume level is balanced between the Lafayette and the other amp/receiver, you will only need to control volume/balance from the Lafayette.

4- This piece will decode SQ. It will also decode QS and RM reasonably well. As I recall, QS/RM would be the "Composer A" (edited by QL) position on the mode switch. The discrete position would be used for a Quad tape deck and/or for CD-4 WITH a proper phono cartridge and external CD-4 demodulator connected.

5- The rear speaker jacks are regulated by the red switch on the bottom right. The lower level would be used for connecting an additional rear amp. The higher level output would be used to drive speakers. In that case, you will need to convert the RCA phono outputs to bare wires. Those cables are relatively inexpensive.

6- I have a Marantz unit similar to this for my 5th surround system. It is connected to a Calibre receiver as the front channels. Since I never listen to radio, I control EVERYTHING through the Marantz. I've used this gear for 40 years, and it becomes as simple to use as a regular Quad receiver.

Linda's explanation is quite thorough. If you we're looking to get into 4 channel sound, a common question was "can I keep and use my current stereo system or do I have to trade it and start over with a quad receiver?" These add on units were created to specifically address that need. The tape monitor circuit interrupt was a great way to marry the units together and provide a master volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many Thanks Quad Linda. Maybe now I understood that tape monitor thing (my native language is not english).

I connect amps together as you said and connect my front speakers to my Technics amp and rear speakers to Lafayette's rear/rem connections (should push down REM button @ speaker mode panel on the front of Lafayette to hear rear speakers). I connect my reccoplayer to Lafayette, put Santanas Abraxas SQ album on and balanced amps and then use MASTER volume on Lafayette. I select on MODE button "SQ" and started to listen. On Lafayette VOLUME/BALANCE is at noon... hmm... I hear just a little (maybe) difference between stereo, Comp A and SQ... Comp B is the only position I hear quite a large difference. Maybe my Lafayette is broken, connections are not right, Santana is not good test record or/and I had to adjust that VOLUME/BALANCE? (stacked button seems to act strange... seems that inner/outer act both like balance button... btw. what exactly is Comp A?

It will also decode QS and RM reasonably well. As I recall, QS/RM would be the "Composer B" position on the mode switch. .

Your answer is very thorough, and where on earth did you get a photo of this unit that's over 40 years old? One statement you made, however is incorrect: the Composer "A" circuit was used for the Sansui/QS system, and in most cases worked better than Sansui's own system (something Sansui wasn't too happy about). The Composer "B" position was for a less dramatic surround effect, but was in fact the basic matrix, or "SQ-M" circuitry. I found it utterly useless for anything.

When Lafayette introduced the Vari-Blend version of the SQ-W decoding system on its quad equipment, the Composer A circuit disappeared, being replaced by an "RM" circuit. Not only did it not work as well decoding QS records as the Composer A circuitry, but it was downright lousy in simulating a quad effect from standard stereo sources, in which the Composer A excelled.

I believe you said you, like myself, are a former Lafayette employee. You must recall then that most of us frequently used standard stereo records through the Composer A circuit to demonstrate what quadraphonic sound was like. Upper management frowned on this, but listening to The Doobie Brothers singing "Listen to the Music" through the Composer A circuit was a helluva lot more impressive than any of the originally re-engineered Columbia SQ records, almost all of which sounded downright awful. Fortunately, all got much better in latter years, but by then, the whole quad concept was drowning in its own built-in confusion due to the number of different and incompatible formats.

Sorry, but I just realized it wasn't you who posted the photos. Still, your explanation went way beyond what I was going to say.

Q4 put up the pictures of the Lafayette piece. They were a great help in my explanation. Otherwise, I would have used the term "receiver in," rather than "source."

Thanks for the compliment, and for correcting me on the "Composer A" thing. That is why I always use a phrase like "as I recall" inviting a correction, if needed. I wasn't sure which one worked best for QS, having never sold this piece.

No, I didn't work for Lafayette. A local chain and Pacific Stereo were my work addresses in the '70's/early '80's. I bought my first Quad piece, Akai CR-80DSS from Lafayette. I bought lots of software from them and frequented their stores.

BTW: Lafayette first cropped up in both Chicago and Milwaukee in the early '70's. They successfully filled a gap left when Tandy bought and dismantled Allied Radio, who was king in our market until then. Hi-fi, CB, parts, tapes, records and virtually anything electronic were the benefits of both chains. And NAME BRAND gear, along with Lafayette (or Allied/Knight Kit) products made them much more enjoyable to shop than Radio Shack (or Tandy-ized Allied.) And I got to know several guys who worked for Lafayette, who impressed me as knowledgeable.

Your answer is very thorough ... One statement you made, however is incorrect: the Composer "A" circuit was used for the Sansui/QS system, and in most cases worked better than Sansui's own system (something Sansui wasn't too happy about). The Composer "B" position was for a less dramatic surround effect, but was in fact the basic matrix, or "SQ-M" circuitry. I found it utterly useless for anything...

...I believe you said you, like myself, are a former Lafayette employee...

Linda's explanation is quite thorough. If you we're looking to get into 4 channel sound, a common question was "can I keep and use my current stereo system or do I have to trade it and start over with a quad receiver?" These add on units were created to specifically address that need. The tape monitor circuit interrupt was a great way to marry the units together and provide a master volume.

In my experience, these "converters" didn't sell well. The lone exception was the Marantz 2440 which we blew out at $99 on a special purchase. Even I bought one. Complete Quad receivers sold far better.

Thank You very much Quad Linda. Maybe my test set is now ok connected... not sure because I hear very little differences between Comp A, B & SQ (test album is Santana Abraxas SQ).

Photo of my set :)

my_quad_set.jpg

It looks a lot like an LA-84, which is something I came very close to getting for my parents back in '73 (or so), but they would not shell out the "extra" for quad. :(

(Maybe that's why I turned out how I did! :mad:@: )

Whats the scoop on this:
Lafayette LR-3500, Dose it have the same high quality decoder as the 4000. whats it worth.
Dave

Hello, whats the scoop with a Lafayette LR-3500, dose it have the same SQ-W decoder as the 4000. Looking for specs too.

Whats the scoop on this:
Lafayette LR-3500, Dose it have the same high quality decoder as the 4000. whats it worth.
Dave

The LR-3500 is a 2-channel stereo receiver, and thus doesn't have any decoder in it. Lafayette often employed the Dynaquad wiring setup in its 2-channel receivers offering the user a second set of speaker terminals for either a second, or "remote" pair in another room, or as the rear speakers in the derived Dynaquad-type setup. I don't think that was used in the LR-3500, but remember that it was a rather good receiver for its day.

The LR-3500 is a stereo receiver, not quad. It has NO decoder of any kind. 47 watts per channel, 1976 vintage.

I'd buy it for a dollar.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

The recent SQW thread and this one brings up some great Lafayette memories. I loved my local Lafayette store (and all of the high end stereo stores of the day like Team electronics). My Lafayette store was the closest stereo shop to my home and I would go and check out the walls of electronics, speakers and their cool soundrooms several times a week. I'm sure they got tired of seeing me and were saying "here comes that kid that never buys anything". I think they had great equipment and also sold some major brands because I remember looking at a georgeous Marantz top loading cassette deck with those beautiful black out meters. It seems that I remember Lafayette would put their stuff next to a major brand item and of course theirs looked comparable, but for less cash. The only thing I remember buying from Lafayette was one of their cheap 4 ch adapters, because I was intrigued by Quad and that was the only Quad I could afford, being in high school and working in a hospital for $1.56/hour. I much preferred Lafayette to Radio Shack/Tandy. Speaking of the Reciever/ 4ch adapter in this thread, I purchased a Marantz 2440 from a pawn shop several years ago. On reading about its features, I became aware that you could buy an SQ decoder that plugged into the bottom of the unit. After reading that, I went to my 2440 and eagerly turned it over and it indeed had an SQ-1 decoder plugged into the bottom. After I became aware of the "unit plugs into the bottom thing" in Marantz quad gear, I was on ebay and asked a seller If if his Marantz had the SQ unit in the bottom. He never replied and ended the auction immediately (must have had the decoder plugged into the bottom-if only he had showed a picture of the bottom I never would have asked the question)! Not long after buying my 2440, I was playing it when all of a sudden there was a burning smell and it stopped working. It had a beautiful wood cabinet that I later sold on ebay for more than I paid for the entire unit, so everything turned out ok.....and I still go by the shopping center where my Lafayette was located and wish I could go back in time just for one more visit!

Same here TVB there is a thread somewhere about first quad experiences. My Lafayette Electronics was the home base in the Detroit area. I'd ride my bike to it about a mile away my first Quad experience was Reel to Reel at the store, can't remember the group but the sound was fantastic.

Same here TVB there is a thread somewhere about first quad experiences. My Lafayette Electronics was the home base in the Detroit area. I'd ride my bike to it about a mile away my first Quad experience was Reel to Reel at the store, can't remember the group but the sound was fantastic.
Ha Ha me too, 10 mile rd. and scotia st. in Oak Park, got tossed out of the store regularly for sucking up sales peeps time demo ing the Quad.

Back