Lamp Bulb For Heathkit AD-2002?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Heya, I need a replacement bulb for the power light on a Heathkit AD-2002. I opened it up and it has a small cylindrical (perfetly flat on the top and bottom) soldered to the PCB. On the section of the PCB for the bulb, it says "PL-1" I have not been able to find what bulb a PL-1 bulb is online. I have run accross a couple other Heathkit conversations referencing the bulb, but no where stating the specs of the bulb, or anyone selling them or any information on compatable replacements. Someone has to know what I need here.

I found the manual http://akdatabase.org/AKview/displayimage.php?album=64&pos=13 it is across AC in through a current limit resistor. Any 120v, 115v lamp at maybe 3watts that fits would work. It is kind of an oddball though, I'm guessing it is low profile, like 1/4"? I've seen one like that but can't remember where. If a neon would fit I'd try that.

You are awesome! Yep, about 1/4" Just soldered right to the board near the pilot lamp lense. Flat top and bottom. No mounting hardware, no deflectors. I may dig around at Radio Shack for something that meets the specs you listed. It seemed oddball to me. I've never seen one like that before, although you have probably seen a lot more lamps than I have. Thanks again. I was at a loss for what would work without messing anything up.

Radio Shack? Last time I was there all I saw were cell phone accessories. I'd try an electronics supply store or maybe mouser.com

Yes, Radio Shack is mostly overpriced retail junk anymore. I hate going in there and being mobbed by commissioned employees every time. However, they do have a small selection of parts in the store. They have enough lamps that I should probably find something that will work. The nearest quality, well stocked electronics parts store is a little bit of a trip from here and there are Radio Shacks, seemingly every couple miles and plenty nearby. So for a small job like this, the "Shack" can still save me a little time.

Those look about like it! Although I think the bottom may be more flat. Doesn't really matter as there is no mounting hardware, it just lays on the pcb pointed at the lense.

I'm guessing I would be asking for trouble if I threw in one of these 12v 25ma mini lamps? I have a spare one from when I was fixing 8-track indicator lights.

I just ordered 2 of those bulbs from the first link (it's always good to buy two in case you mess up the first one, if you don't mess one up you have a spare for later on down the road). I did a little fiddling around with the device last night and made a little smoke come out of a resistor. I hope it's still good :/ My impatience and fiddling about tends to get me into trouble.

That bulb should work. It must be 120 volts, or thereabouts, because it is wired right across the transformer primary (I have an AD-2022 but I believe this part of the circuit is the same). The 680 ohm resistor (is that the one from which smoke escaped?) is a dropping resistor to reduce the voltage to the bulb a bit, no doubt to make it burn a little dimmer and last langer. You should probably measure it if you have a meter to be sure it is still within limits.

BTW, the PL-1 designation on the board is just the Heathkit designation for the bulb, not a bulb type. I'm sure it means (P)ilot (L)amp -1.

Doug

Yeah it was the 680 ohm resistor that smoked. My fault completely but I backed off of what I was doing right away.

I paid about 9 something to ship the 2 bulbs UPS. The whole order ended up being like 12 something. I don't really feel that bad cause I only paid $5 for the decoder. Plus I like fixing things up and saving them for the trash. If I just cut and run, that would be one less EV-4 decoder out there.

Also I was going through the manual, and it said that it came with a free 4 channel demenstration record to show you what was possible with your new decoder. Anyone know what record these came with? That would be neat to have.

Holy Toledo I just checked the tracking number on those bulbs I ordered yesterday and it said they delivered them today (I'm at worrk). I'm in OH and that place is in MI, but geez, got next day delivery with UPS ground. Wow.

I did not have time to install the bulb last night as I got home extremely late. But one happy plus was that Galco ships a Chocolate bar with your order. What a great surprise. The bulbs made it through shipping okay.

Heathkit Four-Channel Sound. 449-173 (EVEP)

That is the only listing for a Heathkit record on the MA Discography. Anyone know the track listing? Can't find anything on it.

Well I installed a new bulb and it works great! Not a bad little device for $5. Thank you everyone for your help on this.

Back