LATEST Piece of Gear in Your Stack - What is it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and my bulb does not have ANY indication that it's 220v, aamof it has a 1-800 tel hotline (only in the usa!), so it's gotta be either universal or 110v
Hey Kap! 2 questions:

1. Any other numbers on that bulb besides PL-S? That designation seems to cover a few different wattages and base types.

2. What voltage you need to run it at?

Hey Kap! 2 questions:

1. Any other numbers on that bulb besides PL-S? That designation seems to cover a few different wattages and base types.

2. What voltage you need to run it at?

Thanks, Jim.
Here it goes:
On the package: "Philips PL-S 9W/2P BLB (the typical blurb for mercury lamps, and) see www.lamprecycle.org or call 1-800-555-0050"
On the side opening tab, there's the address in Netherlands.
And on the bulb base :again Philips PL-S 9W/2P BLB" and stamped ; F6.
So, no sign whatsoever of voltage...

Computers are audio gear right? Well, they are to me anyway!
This was some weeks ago now but a 2011 15" quad core 2.5GHz (3.6GHz) i7 MacBook Pro.

Damn, Kap! Didn't think this would be so tricky.

After a lot of Googling, I didn't find much of anything in the style of a desk or table lamp that could use this bulb. Everything's LED now!

My only suggestion would be to hit Ebay from time to time with the following search string:

fluorescent desk table lamp pl-s 9w

There's nothing there at the moment except replacement bulbs (which you have), but this could change. A couple notes:

1. Make sure the lamp is designed for your 9-watt bulb, not the 13-watt.
2. Watch out for lamps that come equipped with a 'UVB' bulb. This is short-wave ultraviolet light, used for medical stuff, and could damage your skin and/or eyes. I saw a couple of these on AliExpress, but they were like $150 or something; way overpriced.

Good luck...

Here are my latest "holes in my bank account".. but.. DAMN THE TORPEDOES!!!!
Polk Audio Signature S50 x 4
Polk Audio Signature S30 x 1 (yeah, I knowww.. where's the SUB???? chi-CKEEENNN BUCK-KAWWWW)
Marantz SR-7011 (suggested by our fellow Spaniard, Cesar)
Will post photos when it looks decent!

I usually do not reply to my own posts but...
I received the Marantz receiver and the center channel speaker yesterday.. and I ..have NOT OPENED THEM YET....
Why, pray telll, you may ask???
Welllll..
my neighbor's toilet backed up on Sunday and on Monday and some dirty water seeped into MY KITCHEN underneath the oven!!!!! ... so my life has been put on hold for the next few days....
HazMat situation.. here we go!!!!
Yeahhh, they have cleaned it up as well as they can but, man what a downer!!!!
They paid for a PRO Air HEPA filter though...but still... gonna try to enjoy it today or tomorrow...gotta get a nice stand/TV/HiFi Furniture... any ideas?

I made a decision....I have been thinking about a new Denon receiver for awhile...just had to nail down the model with the features I wanted.....that's where I decided to make a "stand"....I'm not going to join the endless "arms" race of channels...I'm stopping at 7...as in 7.1...tops...I just don't need all this "immersive" sound in my listening area...it's too small for 9.2 or 11.2 or whatever is next...I had zeroed in on the 4400H...a 9.2 receiver with 11.2 capability...but I changed my preference to the unit right below it the 3400H..and I have continued my trend of buying a model from the previous years....this one is a 2017 model....this way you get a good picture of the performance of the model and any problems or firmware that was added plus the price is reduced...the price on this model went from the suggested retail of $999 to $599 with a factory Denon 3 year warranty included...and it was a new unit.....

The biggest surprise came when I found out where Denon is making their receivers...no...not China...how about Vietnam:eek: it's not just this model...the 4400H is also built there...the only one I know of that isn't is the "beast" at $3999

IMG_3445.JPG

A Cinepro line conditioner/ multi outlet rack unit with 2 outlets that are delayed turn on. Also has 2 pull out lights.

A Sony UBP-X1000ES bluray player that has already quit working properly with less than 1/2 hour of playing time on it . :(

I made a decision....I have been thinking about a new Denon receiver for awhile...just had to nail down the model with the features I wanted.....that's where I decided to make a "stand"....I'm not going to join the endless "arms" race of channels...I'm stopping at 7...as in 7.1...tops...I just don't need all this "immersive" sound in my listening area...it's too small for 9.2 or 11.2 or whatever is next...I had zeroed in on the 4400H...a 9.2 receiver with 11.2 capability...but I changed my preference to the unit right below it the 3400H..and I have continued my trend of buying a model from the previous years....this one is a 2017 model....this way you get a good picture of the performance of the model and any problems or firmware that was added plus the price is reduced...the price on this model went from the suggested retail of $999 to $599 with a factory Denon 3 year warranty included...and it was a new unit.....

The biggest surprise came when I found out where Denon is making their receivers...no...not China...how about Vietnam:eek: it's not just this model...the 4400H is also built there...the only one I know of that isn't is the "beast" at $3999

View attachment 37982

Nice one I like your reasoning, let us know how you like it; also is this going to be your primary unit or a 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....?

Dual 1229Q but it has been over a year old since it's purchase and restoration. I did recently find a better plinth for it and a mulit play spindle. Stacking 33 rpm records is a novelty, but I really appreciate the auto cueing and return features. I rarely use my Rega turntable anymore.

Congrats, Clinty. Eastwood Does Atmos. Made in Viet Nam! Betcha can't wait 'til the UHD 4K remastered Apocalypse Now in Dolby Atmos comes out with those helicopters whirring over your head.

v01_00000014.jpg

ATMOS, NOW!

Last edited:
I'm checking out AVRs also, as mine currently is a Marantz AVR-8500 which has no HDMI:eek:, but it's been a good one.

JP, my older Onkyo Receiver in my bedroom HAS HDMI but won't pass 4K nor 3D so I just plugged the HDMI [from my OPPO 205] directly into my LG OLED 4K TV and until that 'trusty' receiver takes its last breath, I'm keeping it.

I also cannot add ATMOS to my Main System as my speakers are humungous and I could never hang anything that large [or, equivalent] from my ceiling .... but truth be told, my existing speakers do project sounds over my head....without ATMOS!

Last edited:
I'm checking out AVRs also, as mine currently is a Marantz AVR-8500 which has no HDMI:eek:, but it's been a good one.

Actually this purchase represents a change in my overall philosophy...this AVR has less power than my older Denon...but it's not a downgrade in any respect....I "used to" value power more than I do at the present time...and I think the companies have made an adjustment as well...in the past you had to get near the top of the model range with the most power to get the features you wanted...that's no longer true...at least with Denon....this receiver I purchased is the middle of the line(the total line not just the X series)but it gave me the features I wanted.... but more importantly I wasn't forced into paying for features I didn't want....if someone would have told me I could get a Denon with the things I valued as important for just $599 with a 3 year Denon warranty I would have been skeptical...of course I got that price reduction because I didn't get the recent model year....it's a 2017 model...which means nothing to me...it's not like buying an automobile where depreciation is factored into a possible resale...and having 8 HDMI inputs(1 in the front)and 3 HDMI OUTPUTS at this price point is nice...

Even though I'm not a "computer" guy...I have bought computers every 2 or 3 years....the philosophy I use is to buy the entry level models...at bargain basement prices with bundled programs included in the price and then keep upgrading...because the advances in the computers were so significant and there was always a new and improved "chip'....as a result I have 5 "older" computers collecting dust because I don't really know how to dispose of them properly and ensure all my information is wiped from the drive....but getting back to audio....even though right now I'm saying that 7 channels is enough...maybe in the near future there will be some amazing audio discovery and I will want to have it...because I only spent $599 on this AVR...I could easily make that purchase....my days of buying the "top of the line" are pretty much over...although the gear will probably last a long time...because it's premium...the technology won't be...you will be eclipsed by medium priced equipment with the latest and superior technology...

When you talk about Marantz...you are also talking about Denon...as a result of THIS…."back in the day" Marantz receivers had the coolest appearance….your receiver....the SR8500... has the same watts per channel as my old Denon...and like my old
Denon it doesn't have near the features that modern receivers have...that's the "rub"...your AVR was listed at $2,000 back in 2011...and I'm sure it still works fine...just like my old Denon...but the basic things now on receivers weren't available when we both bought our rigs back then...so that's why "selective buying" of midrange equipment more often now...as opposed to buying near the top of the line is the better move...IMO...

If anyone out there buys a Denon...or is thinking about a purchase...you can get some great information over at AVS...there are 2 posters...Batpig and jdsmoothie that provide a ton of information....2018...2017

Actually this purchase represents a change in my overall philosophy...this AVR has less power than my older Denon...but it's not a downgrade in any respect....I "used to" value power more than I do at the present time...and I think the companies have made an adjustment as well...in the past you had to get near the top of the model range with the most power to get the features you wanted...that's no longer true...at least with Denon....this receiver I purchased is the middle of the line(the total line not just the X series)but it gave me the features I wanted.... but more importantly I wasn't forced into paying for features I didn't want....if someone would have told me I could get a Denon with the things I valued as important for just $599 with a 3 year Denon warranty I would have been skeptical...of course I got that price reduction because I didn't get the recent model year....it's a 2017 model...which means nothing to me...it's not like buying an automobile where depreciation is factored into a possible resale...and having 8 HDMI inputs(1 in the front)and 3 HDMI OUTPUTS at this price point is nice...

Even though I'm not a "computer" guy...I have bought computers every 2 or 3 years....the philosophy I use is to buy the entry level models...at bargain basement prices with bundled programs included in the price and then keep upgrading...because the advances in the computers were so significant and there was always a new and improved "chip'....as a result I have 5 "older" computers collecting dust because I don't really know how to dispose of them properly and ensure all my information is wiped from the drive....but getting back to audio....even though right now I'm saying that 7 channels is enough...maybe in the near future there will be some amazing audio discovery and I will want to have it...because I only spent $599 on this AVR...I could easily make that purchase....my days of buying the "top of the line" are pretty much over...although the gear will probably last a long time...because it's premium...the technology won't be...you will be eclipsed by medium priced equipment with the latest and superior technology...

When you talk about Marantz...you are also talking about Denon...as a result of THIS…."back in the day" Marantz receivers had the coolest appearance….your receiver....the SR8500... has the same watts per channel as my old Denon...and like my old
Denon it doesn't have near the features that modern receivers have...that's the "rub"...your AVR was listed at $2,000 back in 2011...and I'm sure it still works fine...just like my old Denon...but the basic things now on receivers weren't available when we both bought our rigs back then...so that's why "selective buying" of midrange equipment more often now...as opposed to buying near the top of the line is the better move...IMO...

If anyone out there buys a Denon...or is thinking about a purchase...you can get some great information over at AVS...there are 2 posters...Batpig and jdsmoothie that provide a ton of information....2018...2017
Wow! I forgot about Batpig.....

215 Watts per channel ain't too shabby, Clinty ...... what is the RMS output per channel when all 7.1 channels are driven?

Are you also going to add height channels?

215 Watts per channel ain't too shabby, Clinty ...... what is the RMS output per channel when all 7.1 channels are driven?

Are you also going to add height channels?

You know how it works Ralphie...that 215 Watt figure is pure marketing nonsense...I wish they wouldn't do that...105 watts per channel is a realistic number...no plans on adding heights...

Back