Lauren Ellis - Feels Like Family

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Hey I saw this the other day and was wondering if it's a silverline gem or not:confused:

Definitely a gem. The Dual Disc has DVD-A with a discrete surround mix, the rears being used mostly for additional guitars and percusion. It's got a lovely, warm mix which suits the songs and the guitar playing. Great songs and great playing. If you like country blues/rock (I guess Bonnie Raitt is the obvious comparison) I wouldn't hesitate in getting this.

I wouldn't call the surround mix 'stunning', but it fits the music very well and I enjoy the disc a lot. I kind of want to compare her to Susan Tedeschi. Her voice is not near as good as Susan's, but she plays a pretty good guitar. More country-ish than ST also, but there is a fairly wide range of style in her songs with some almost straight blues stuff, too. It is a dualdisc with an actual dvd-audio side. I'd recommend it. I had been meaning to put a post about this one as I had never seen it mentioned when I bought it. She does have a web site with a couple of mp3's that you can listen to to see if you think you might like her. laurenellis.lamusic.net

KW

I had gotten this on a whim a few weeks ago. Very nice mix!

At least in my system, on some songs, the front-rear balance in the mix puts her guiter literally fight in front of head, almost as if wearing headphones.

I like this one and would recommend it. She's got potential in a Bonnie Raitt way.

ss9001

I just got this one, it is definitely an upper tier Silverline release. This singer/songwriter is good and the surround mix way above average for Silverline and good for DVD-A in general. I would give it a 7 after one listen. Definitely a sweeter, more sensual sound than Bonnie Raitt, but she is a fair artist for comparison. I haven't heard much by Susan Tedeschi but if you like Bonnie Raitt, this album definitely has potential.

Chris

Last edited:
Found this today in a used CD store, so I thought I'd reopen this thread.

When I came home after making my purchase, I found the new DVD of Chicago's first album in my mailbox, so I listened to that first. That sounded very good on my system. Then I put on Lauren Ellis. Ow, my ears! The mix is discreet, the performance is good but the highs and upper mids made my ears feel fatigued within minutes! Percussion and vocal sibilances are simply too harsh sounding for my taste (or at least, on my system).

J. D.

I was surprised to find this one some years ago, I had been out of touch with Laurie (her real name) since the early 1980s, when she lived on the Oregon coast, where we had met in the mid-1970s. We've reconnected, she told me she hasn't heard the surround mix.

Funny that this thread just came back to life. I played this the other day for the first time in years and enjoyed it a lot. Kind of sad that she's never heard the surround mix.

K

Back