Led Zeppelin - "The Song Remains The Same" Reissues (including Blu-Ray Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd sure like to see some of the better shows put out there. Even if the audio is compromised. We have the technology now to at least make some of that kind of thing presentable.
By all means, this one should be mastered to the best formats available and all that. We have fully lossless delivery formats like this now. Screw qualifying a recording to see if you can get away with a lossy or reduced format. Just set the switch to 'full' and the content is the content, I say.

Not really sure if I'd genuinely find the time to go over this (these) shows again though when there are still better performances to take in among the freely shared recordings.

LZ surround mixes could be amazing depending...
Actually that HTWWW 5.1 mix is far from the worst thing out there mix-wise. The 'short attention span theater' edits stand out more than anything with fidelity.

As long as they attempt to provide a surround mix on these "live" events....the result will be just like it has been in the past...perhaps they should rename the title....THE SOUND REMAINS THE SAME...it they want a "real" audiophile type of release...they need studio material as the source and to keep Jimmy Page away from the studio....but I doubt that is going to happen...Zep had some amazing live performances...back in the day...but they don't translate well to hi rez products..

Ditto, Clint. Led Zep, Inc. [and Rhino/Warner] KNOW FULLY WELL there's a DEMAND for their core albums in surround or else they wouldn't be throwing out these 'bones' but it looks like Page/Plant are skittering around the issue by releasing Celebration Day, Song [SOUND] Remains The Same and the reissue of How The West Was Won to quell the 'masses.'

And IF they do decide [in the FUTURE] to remix their core albums.......pleeze dear Jesus.......keep Page away from the KNOBS! Paging Steve Wilson..........:SG https://fanart.tv/fanart/music/3a51...istbackground/wilson-steven-4fb99a845e3d1.jpg

Last edited:
Once again like "How the West Was Won" I think it's interesting how the Uber-expensive box set has the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD while the better high-res Blu-ray Disc is on its own in a much more affordable single disc option.
It's exactly the opposite of how things are mostly done nowadays, but it's most welcome to be able to buy the Blu-Ray without all of the other vinyl or DVDs that the box set has.
I have pre-ordered this because I see this as a way to continue to support Warner/Rhino and their high-res endeavors.

:)

Whenever a stand alone blu ray audio is released, apart from a pricey box set, IS a genuine cause for celebration. Thankfully, Alan Parsons did come through with Tales and Eye!

I do have Led Zep's Song Remains The Same on multiple video formats and will probably spring for the BD~A as Warner/Rhino USUALLY never disappoints....working from the finest master sources.

HIGH PRIORITIES, I'm sure, on all our lists are 5.1 remixes from the most conspicuous hold~outs: Led Zep and the Rolling Stones. With the Beatles' White album in surround, imminent, I should think NOW is the time for Zep/Stones to make THEIR MOVE.

Is that really asking TOO MUCH?:ROFLMAO: apparently, YES!

Unfortunately very little video was done of this band. This is just an add on of other productions, I think just re=packing it and adding 4 songs, the vinyl that is sought today of the band, I've seen them live. It was an experience , and like Clint says, mediocre I'll pass on it.

but isn't this the first time we will hear the additional 4 videos in 5.1?

since one of them is "Over The Hills And Far Away" that almost makes it worth it. :cool:

since one of them is "Over The Hills And Far Away" that almost makes it worth it. :cool:

There's 5.1 audio on all of those bonus videos on the Blu-Ray film of "The Song Remains The Same".
However, it looks like this will be the first time that these 4 videos are presented in high-res 5.1 surround.
(The bonus videos on the movie Blu-Ray are Dolby Digital 5.1, whereas the film itself has a lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 stream)

:)

Possibly for some, but, I have seen them live, This show was an experience that I will never forget. It was the only rock show I ever went to that the audience actually sat down and listened, instead of jumping around and screaming, tossing balls, etc. The band was so good they were overwhelming, loud, clean, and I just cannot put it into words how good the show was. Nothing comes close to this. I have had my "Zep" experience and how can that be topped?

I have realised as I get older that it takes longer to catch on with 'new' releases, however, is this blu ray only a lightly polished version of the film sound but without pictures? It seems likely the surround mix will be unaltered from the visual blu-ray and the only difference may be re-mastering, with or without benefit, and bitrate increased from 24/48 to 24/96 (resulting in a relatively minor audio refinement and a virtual blindfold).

Now, I wish to support as many surround releases as possible, but the choice here seems to be (from Amazon UK) the 2018 Blu-Ray Pure Audio at £40 (!!) no picture 24/96, or the 2007 Blu-Ray of the film at £10 with pictures 24/48. Hmm?

Amazon US price looks to be considerably cheaper at the equivalent of £24, about 60% of Amazon UK price. Why?

Could be
I have realised as I get older that it takes longer to catch on with 'new' releases, however, is this blu ray only a lightly polished version of the film sound but without pictures? It seems likely the surround mix will be unaltered from the visual blu-ray and the only difference may be re-mastering, with or without benefit, and bitrate increased from 24/48 to 24/96 (resulting in a relatively minor audio refinement and a virtual blindfold).

Now, I wish to support as many surround releases as possible, but the choice here seems to be (from Amazon UK) the 2018 Blu-Ray Pure Audio at £40 (!!) no picture 24/96, or the 2007 Blu-Ray of the film at £10 with pictures 24/48. Hmm?

Amazon US price looks to be considerably cheaper at the equivalent of £24, about 60% of Amazon UK price. Why?

The US price could be cheaper because amazon knows that most Americans are gun toting maniacs:LOL:..OR it could be just the regional price differences that happen all the time on these releases..I'd say that the second reason is the correct one..

I really wish they'd give us the option of the original 35mm 4-track magnetic mix.
Yeah, this is another one of those concert films that got a quad mix for theaters in NY and LA in '74 or '75. Like Floyd's Live at Pompeii or Yes Yessongs. Pompeii was a wonderful treat to find and restore! I'm not deep into any Yes trading forums but I've never heard of Yessongs surfacing. The quad mix master is reported as lost for Floyd and one would assume the radio silence and lack of the original quad mix on the Yessongs bluray means its master is long lost too. So, what of this Zeppelin film?

Yeah, this is another one of those concert films that got a quad mix for theaters in NY and LA in '74 or '75. Like Floyd's Live at Pompeii or Yes Yessongs.

I hadn't heard about that, but it certainly would make sense for the era.

When it was new there were definitely 4-track (three screen channels, mono surround) prints with magnetic soundtracks making the rounds. I blew my chance to see/hear one when it was new, but a couple years later a neighborhood theater ran a magnetic print.

Back