Led Zeppelin - "The Song Remains The Same" Reissues (including Blu-Ray Audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean this pre order...I've lost faith in these "Page" inspired releases...I'd love to be proved wrong...IMO it will be another "celebration" type sound...which I didn't like...
Damn. $22 before shipping ain't too shabby, if one is interested in this release. I'm not convinced the mix will be different from the movie though.

Yes sir, that is what I mean. Release is Sept 7th and I am paying $31.57 via Amazon USA.

Do you get charged tax by Amazon...I do here in Florida...so if I ordered that title from amazon it would be $33.78...compared to importcds $26.42... why don't you cancel the amazon order and buy yourself a beer with the money you save on importcds:SG

This is the first blu-ray disc i just can´t think of buying because of the price.
The price in Europe is just insane.
If the disc contained the whole movie and an option to listen to the audio separately i would think about it.
As the disc is cheaper in the USA i know i will be able to get it cheaper than what is offered here one day.

The thing that worries me more is that this might be the end of blu-ray releases from Led Zeppelin because of bad sales for the bluray (at least in Europe).
I can not imagine this one to sell well here.
When the Celebration day disc came years ago i couldn´t understand why anyone would buy the BD audio instead of the BD Movie.
Then i read about the higher audio quality on the BD audio disc.
I think that was insane as there was no real reason for not having the best audio on the film version ( apart from greedy economical reasons ).

I would love to have the studio albums as BD audio with 5.1 sound but if there were plans for it the coming sales figures for this release might make them reconsider the project.

The Song Remains The Same was never a showcase for Live Zep.
I can tell you from first hand experience that there were killer live Zep shows.
You just had to luck out and catch them on a good night as their tours were epic undertakings.
Unfortunately by the time they decided to release a record of a tour it was 1977 and the venues they were playing were huge affairs and events that went beyond any kind of musical experience.
Of the the 3 times I saw Zep, 73, 75 & the UnLedded Tour, even though they for unknown reasons left out John Paul Jones & Bonham was long gone, the 95 tour was the best as far as performance and sound.
The real time to have seen Led Zeppelin would have been in the early days in the smaller venues.
The video of their early performance in Sweden is a great example.
I know folks who saw them at the Green Lake Aqua Theater in 1970 and they killed it.
Recently Jimmy was in town with his poet GF and a local took some pics as he was visiting Green Lake.
This concert material is from MSG NYC 1973. And much of it kicks f'ing ass.

" the original album on 4LPs " Not sure why they are calling this the original Album, because it does not take 4LPs to cover the original album. They must mean the original album is (remixed) plus the bonus material (4 extra songs) is mastered to 4 LPs. This would be in line with what came out 15 years ago (remix / expanded). But that issue, with the expanded material was not the original album, but remixed.

In this late era, with (unpaid?) interns typing out press releases, young ones who don't know about this album and what it originally contained vs the remixed and expanded release, it is no wonder we have so many screw ups like the Chicago box, and the Pink Floyd box fiasco. The bigger and the more important the project the bigger the chance of a screw-up. Does no one at Atlantic / Rhino know this legendary material and the two different versions of how it has been issued?

So with a few days til release day the blu ray is still £39.99 at Amazon UK (about $50) compared to $21.99 currently at Amazon US! Not that it’s an issue with Amazon as such because it’s a similar difference elsewhere....

I can’t think of a more overpriced single disc release, if a small label like KScope can give us the great value releases like they do, why can’t the big labels? It doesn’t add up....

I suspect the big labels think they can charge a premium for bigger names. And they might be right.

Bigger names = bigger demand = increased costs...some of these progressive bands/artists that have some of these surround releases were unknown to me prior to coming on the forum...it's like a sports team...the stars get paid more than the "role" players...now there are the exceptions to the rule...but from what I have seen on here a lot of people had become accustomed to these Tull type "mini" sets that were dirt cheap...I can't remember which one... but one of these sets costs me $17 delivered...it's been the perfect storm for these titles...cheap and Steven Wilson mixes....so now any of these "name bands/artists" are being compared to these sets...to me just another in a series of comparisons of "unequal" items...comparing apples to oranges....

Bigger names = bigger demand = increased costs...some of these progressive bands/artists that have some of these surround releases were unknown to me prior to coming on the forum...it's like a sports team...the stars get paid more than the "role" players...now there are the exceptions to the rule...but from what I have seen on here a lot of people had become accustomed to these Tull type "mini" sets that were dirt cheap...I can't remember which one... but one of these sets costs me $17 delivered...it's been the perfect storm for these titles...cheap and Steven Wilson mixes....so now any of these "name bands/artists" are being compared to these sets...to me just another in a series of comparisons of "unequal" items...comparing apples to oranges....

I hear (and agree with) what you’re saying, although bigger demand also = increased profit margin as most of the costs (production, artwork etc) are fixed. And you’re right, maybe some releases, such as the Tull ones or the Marillion ones (4-5 discs for around £30) were underpriced - but my main point was why this single BR disc is so much more in Europe compared to the US. For example, (and to compare apples to apples !) the Blu Ray Audio releases of Led Zepppelin’s Celebration Day and also How The West Was Won were around half the cost of The Song Remains The Same in the UK when released (around £20), and a similar price to the US release. £40 for one re-mastered/re-mixed disc is still a lot whichever way you look at it!

I just received my shipping confirmation from Deep Discount that The Song Remains The Same was shipped today. Delivered price was $22.82.

I hear (and agree with) what you’re saying, although bigger demand also = increased profit margin as most of the costs (production, artwork etc) are fixed. And you’re right, maybe some releases, such as the Tull ones or the Marillion ones (4-5 discs for around £30) were underpriced - but my main point was why this single BR disc is so much more in Europe compared to the US. For example, (and to compare apples to apples !) the Blu Ray Audio releases of Led Zepppelin’s Celebration Day and also How The West Was Won were around half the cost of The Song Remains The Same in the UK when released (around £20), and a similar price to the US release. £40 for one re-mastered/re-mixed disc is still a lot whichever way you look at it!

That's not only true with music...it's also true with electronics...I remember the explanation a Panasonic insider told me several years ago...a Panasonic Plasma TV(the exact display)was more in the UK than in the US...they had tables with pricing for different parts of the world...he had no idea how these prices were determined...

I just found that wowhd had the Bluray audio for sale for around £20
To have this price in Europe is incredible as Amazon uk takes £40
It is about the same here in Sweden

Wowhd doesn´t charge for delivery so that is nice.
The downside is that usually they can be very slow.
But i have always gotten my discs from them in the end.

I have now ordered and am hoping for an delivery not so far in the future.
With this price there wasn´t any question were to buy the Bluray

Just had my first complete run through of this on blu Ray. This is from the same mix as the 2007 movie edition but with the track listing from the 2007 CD edition, so we are getting the DTS-MA 5.1 mix in an audio only format uninterrupted for the first time.

The mastering is much improved from the 2007 edition. I recall that version being a bit harsh on the ears. This one presents a much more crankable version - punchy and without the harsh highs.

The mix is what it is. It’s pretty much what you’d expect for a live concert. The surrounds are relegated to the audience noise and ambience for the most part. That being said, there are a few nice discrete elements to the mix, most notably the vocal echoes in No Quarter (the winds of Thor are blowing cold cold cold...), the violin bow section of Dazed and Confused, some phasey drum effects in Moby Dick, and the theremin section of Whole Lotta Love.

Also the 4 bonus videos from the 2007 movie edition are included here as a bonus, with the DTS-MA 5.1 mix.

All in all, it’s worth getting for the improved sound quality and the bonus videos. Just don’t expect miracles from the surround mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you know.. it MAY have not been their greatest stint (MSG 1973.. so many bad influences in NYC!) but this concert is INGRAINED in my conscience... this was the ONLY GIG we all had for AGES!!! especially VISUALLY!!! I bought the VHS tape when it came out .. $89.95!!! OUCH!!! MInd you , it was a freakin' AWESOME Scotch VHS copy!!! so there..

Back