Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are so wonderful, I wish you all the success in doing more. Not that I can think of any right now but would you be open to requests?
Thank you, and yes! Requests would be really great!
The only thing I'm thinking for the next video or two is to do celebrated gems of the surround world, maybe one per format and major issue/reissue group, e.g.
An AF SACD, a D-V SACD, a parlophone BD, an HFPA, etc.

Thank you, and yes! Requests would be really great!

I always support comparisons between multiple surround mixes of the same album, if that's something you're interested in. More in the vain of what AoQ did with Wakeman's Six Wives a few years back would be awesome.

Here's a few possibilities to start- I'm limiting it to stuff available digitally, so you don't have to mention quad conversions on the channel (I assume unofficial issues are frowned upon):
  • Scheiner's Clapton mixes vs. Guzauski's
  • SW's AFTK vs. Chycki's
  • Chicago II & V quad vs. 5.1
  • Deep Purple Machine Head quad vs 5.1

I always support comparisons between multiple surround mixes of the same album, if that's something you're interested in. More in the vain of what AoQ did with Wakeman's Six Wives a few years back would be awesome.

Here's a few possibilities to start- I'm limiting it to stuff available digitally, so you don't have to mention quad conversions on the channel (I assume unofficial issues are frowned upon):
  • Scheiner's Clapton mixes vs. Guzauski's
  • SW's AFTK vs. Chycki's
  • Chicago II & V quad vs. 5.1
  • Deep Purple Machine Head quad vs 5.1
AFtK - too easy

The others, ATM, might cause some budget trouble.

Parsons vs. Guthrie DSotM is doable.

Some of the SW vs. original quad mix from the JT sets too.

Parsons vs. Guthrie DSotM is doable.

Some of the SW vs. original quad mix from the JT sets too.

Those would definitely be cool if it's something you're interested in trying. DSOTM never fails to initiate some heated discussion. The Tull quads are very different from SW's mixes, they generally have the vocals in all channels and some use alternate takes ("Aqualung" on the quad is missing the telephone call effect on the vocal, etc).

Machine Head and 461 Ocean Boulevard are two I'd really love to see done, as they're the only two albums I can think of that each have three distinct surround mixes. I do have all versions of each and have been meaning to do threads with track-by-track waveforms, analysis, etc like I did here, but I can never seem to find the time.

I do have all versions of each and have been meaning to do threads with track-by-track waveforms, analysis, etc like I did here, but I can never seem to find the time.

...also I've gotta review this first :)

foo_dtu.jpg

I have Give Me Strength and the Ocean SACD. How many unique mixes does that get me?

That gets you all of 'em- Scheiner's 5.1 and the old quad are on the Blu-Ray, while Guzauski's 5.1 is on the SACD. There is also the '90s DTS-CD that has a poorly mastered version of the quad, I could supply files from that if you really want to get crazy.

...also I've gotta review this first :)

View attachment 36907
I have always been curious if anyone thinks it's cool that the BD and FLAC downloads contain 4.0, 4.1 & 5.1.
Also, I've heard that some systems only play the fronts for the two Easter eggs, while some play fronts and rears, because I only saved to 4 channels, not including silent lfe and centers.

I have always been curious if anyone thinks it's cool that the BD and FLAC downloads contain 4.0, 4.1 & 5.1.

I think it's cool, though I appreciate the 5.1 a bit more as you can really hear the interplay between different drum kit components isolated in the fronts and center, such as the opening of "Skeletons Under Cover" (fronts-> center -> fronts -> center). I also like being able to center in on that awesome guitar solo in track 2.

BTW I have to hand it to you, the whole thing is just top-notch, from the overall quality of the recording and performances all the way to the mix/mastering and authoring. It's certainly a better package and a better surround mix than dozens of releases in my collection. Big (y)

Also, I've heard that some systems only play the fronts for the two Easter eggs, while some play fronts and rears, because I only saved to 4 channels, not including silent lfe and centers.

Both "The Satellite" and "The Science Of Compassion" ripped fine for me- I always save quad content as straight 4.0 files.

Last edited:

Thanks Mike, I PM'd you but got your name off the video. A couple of generic questions for you and of course others.
When I have listened to DVD-A and when they have the MLP choice I always listen to that, but with the Blu Rays I seem to always choose the DTS-HD MSTR, based on your video it sounds like when given the choice you pick the LPCM, which I have choose for stereo but not 5.1. Sounds like making LPCM is best all around. I, like others, don't have the time or even the want, to listen to all the versions, I like to pick one, maybe now I will go with LPCM as the choice. Your thoughts on that.
My second question in reference to the new Hemispheres, without going through major work like you did with Audacity, would there be great benefit raising/lowering volume front, rears and center and finally as it seems you are very familiar with this release, out of the box would you prefer the stereo or the 5.1, without any tweaks?
Lots of questions but I think they are easy for you. Or others of course. Still love the videos.

Thanks Mike, I PM'd you but got your name off the video. A couple of generic questions for you and of course others.
When I have listened to DVD-A and when they have the MLP choice I always listen to that, but with the Blu Rays I seem to always choose the DTS-HD MSTR, based on your video it sounds like when given the choice you pick the LPCM, which I have choose for stereo but not 5.1. Sounds like making LPCM is best all around. I, like others, don't have the time or even the want, to listen to all the versions, I like to pick one, maybe now I will go with LPCM as the choice. Your thoughts on that.
My second question in reference to the new Hemispheres, without going through major work like you did with Audacity, would there be great benefit raising/lowering volume front, rears and center and finally as it seems you are very familiar with this release, out of the box would you prefer the stereo or the 5.1, without any tweaks?
Lots of questions but I think they are easy for you. Or others of course. Still love the videos.
Well, I haven't got your first name down, but I think it's Mark?
I choose LPCM because it's uncompressed. Nothing to decode. Also, no licencing fees, or fancy gear to encode it, which are the main reasons I chose it for Disturbing the Universe. If there is room on the disc, I think it's the best choice.
Without doing crazy work on Hemi, I'd lower the fronts a db or two, raise the rears around 2 or 3, and lower the center 1 or 2. This will be a compromise, but probably a little improved.

Well, I haven't got your first name down, but I think it's Mark?
I choose LPCM because it's uncompressed. Nothing to decode. Also, no licencing fees, or fancy gear to encode it, which are the main reasons I chose it for Disturbing the Universe. If there is room on the disc, I think it's the best choice.
Without doing crazy work on Hemi, I'd lower the fronts a db or two, raise the rears around 2 or 3, and lower the center 1 or 2. This will be a compromise, but probably a little improved.

With your suggested adjustments, it sounds like you prefer the surround over stereo with the new box set?

Back