Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just acquired this excellent Queen video collection late last year and wholeheartedly agree with all your points. Hopefully, it will one day 'earn' a BD~V upgrade in lossless DTS or LPCM 5.1 but I'm sure a lot of the videos, unless they were shot on film, will be up sampled 480p.

Keep up the great work, Mike. Always enjoy your 'lucid' reviews.

I just acquired this excellent Queen video collection late last year and wholeheartedly agree with all your points. Hopefully, it will one day 'earn' a BD~V upgrade in lossless DTS or LPCM 5.1 but I'm sure a lot of the videos, unless they were shot on film, will be up sampled 480p.

Keep up the great work, Mike. Always enjoy your 'lucid' reviews.
Thanks, my friend. After dreaming of getting these reviews going, for months and months overseas, to finally get underway feels good.
Not quite 100% confident of approach and format, but I think I'll settle in.
I literally have hundreds of titles I hope to cover. Trying to pace new with old, good with bad, known with unknown, etc.

BTW, Mike, one issue I feel VERY passionate about is the annual Grammy award for best surround mix. If ONLY it was broadcast at the ACTUAL televised award ceremony, instead of separately, it would bring awareness to the actual existence of surround remixing for MUSIC on an international level and prompt CURRENT artists to take the plunge while preparing their new albums.

Perhaps you could squeeze this point in on one of your video chats.

BTW, your review approach is fine ..... very casual and you shoot from the hip ... couldn't ask for more.

BTW, Mike, one issue I feel VERY passionate about is the annual Grammy award for best surround mix. If ONLY it was broadcast at the ACTUAL televised award ceremony, instead of separately, it would bring awareness to the actual existence of surround remixing for MUSIC on an international level and prompt CURRENT artists to take the plunge while preparing their new albums.

Perhaps you could squeeze this point in on one of your video chats.

BTW, your review approach is fine ..... very casual and you shoot from the hip ... couldn't ask for more.

I agree Mike, approach is fine. One little pointer, on some of your reviews you have shown screen shots, in leui of a cursur or something like that a nice hand held pointer would be cool like a knitting stick or something like that, something thin and pointy. No jokes about thin and pointy my Ralphie friend.

I agree Mike, approach is fine. One little pointer, on some of your reviews you have shown screen shots, in leui of a cursur or something like that a nice hand held pointer would be cool like a knitting stick or something like that, something thin and pointy. No jokes about thin and pointy my Ralphie friend.

I wouldn't think of it, Markie ......

db2237-pointy-boob-model.jpg

\

Hmmm... worth tracking down, eh?

Absolutely, and it's cheap @ AmazonUS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...TF8&condition=new&qid=1544295305&sr=1-1-fkmr0

4 out of 5 starsExcellent Surround, Great Music
August 27, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Jackie Leven's intricate, stylistically diverse music is almost impossible to describe. Like David Ackles (a very different, but like Leven, nearly unknown and brilliant songwriter/singer), he is one-of-a-kind. His songs encompass blues, rock, folk, Scottish ballads, and many other musical genres. On top of that, Leven is a fine poet whose lyrics convey an unsentimental message of joy, despair, and heartbreak that will resonate with anyone who has spent much time on earth.

This is one of the good Silverline discs that boasts an immersive 5.1 mix (rather than a digitized rear speaker ambiance). One side is the CD, while the other side contains the 5.1 and 2.0 high resolution DVD-Audio (and Dolby Digital 5.1 for those who do not have a DVD-A player). Great songs, fine hi-res mix, and a low price make this a must-buy disc.

Last edited:
Well done for finding a niche in the Youtube scene, Mike - considering all the content that's already out there already, coming up with what I can tell is the only surround sound music focussed channel takes some clever thinking, so well done!

I only watch a few channels regularly (The Urban Gentry and The Nerdwriter are my two favourites) as it's so easy to lose hours and hours surfing cats, car crashes, and epic fails and such like, so I try to limit how much Youtube content I consume. That said, I look forward to seeing how your channel evolves over the coming months and years and with a bit of luck, your channel will become as frequented as QQ is itself.

As for the sort of content I'd like to see featured, I'd be happy to hear about the dynamic range of titles being discussed, see high-quality shots of packaging (I guess this applies more so to box sets than plain jewel case releases), hear short clips in surround sound (I think Youtube allows this under fair use of copyright and apparently, Youtube can accommodate 5.1 audio), see occasional interviews with people who work in the audio, music or film industry that have something meaningful to say about surround sound, and... well, I guess that's quite a list already so I'll leave it there as I don't mean to suggest I know what's best for your channel.

I guess what I'm saying is keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing and hearing what comes next (y)

Well done for finding a niche in the Youtube scene, Mike - considering all the content that's already out there already, coming up with what I can tell is the only surround sound music focussed channel takes some clever thinking, so well done!

I only watch a few channels regularly (The Urban Gentry and The Nerdwriter are my two favourites) as it's so easy to lose hours and hours surfing cats, car crashes, and epic fails and such like, so I try to limit how much Youtube content I consume. That said, I look forward to seeing how your channel evolves over the coming months and years and with a bit of luck, your channel will become as frequented as QQ is itself.

As for the sort of content I'd like to see featured, I'd be happy to hear about the dynamic range of titles being discussed, see high-quality shots of packaging (I guess this applies more so to box sets than plain jewel case releases), hear short clips in surround sound (I think Youtube allows this under fair use of copyright and apparently, Youtube can accommodate 5.1 audio), see occasional interviews with people who work in the audio, music or film industry that have something meaningful to say about surround sound, and... well, I guess that's quite a list already so I'll leave it there as I don't mean to suggest I know what's best for your channel.

I guess what I'm saying is keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing and hearing what comes next (y)

BTW, my Scottish Lad, edisonbaggins [Mike Veira] released a wonderful album with his band entitled "Disturbing The Universe" which he himself remixed into surround on Blu Ray Audio and you should check it out. Mike will fill you in on the details if you're interested.

BTW, my Scottish Lad, edisonbaggins [Mike Veira] released a wonderful album with his band entitled "Disturbing The Universe" which he himself remixed into surround on Blu Ray Audio and you should check it out. Mike will fill you in on the details if you're interested.

Thanks, my New York Lad - or whatever is the colloquial equivalent in NY ;)

Hard copies are sold out, but FLAC downloads, as well as the blu-ray ISO (so you can play it off a server or burn a disc) are available at https://surroundmusic.one

Back