List of Best (Most Recommended) Classical Music in Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a reminder that I began a list of "discrete" classical multi-channel recordings in this post. Would still be glad for any corrections or additions. (And if a mod decides this is a topic worthy of its own thread, then stitch away!)

not sure if i've mentioned it before, there's this Poulenc disc from Linn with nice discrete organ in the Rear channels

63F26815-5722-48D8-9F4B-97B67A7CC1F2.jpeg

Another fantastic Naxos Bluray disc to add to the list:
Shadow of Sirius -Steven Bryant, Joel Puckett & John Mackey - Jerry Junkin, Uiversity of Texas Wind Ensemble.

This one is along the lines of the earlier John Corigliano disc, but perhaps not as bombastic. It is extremely immersive and discrete. Great sound. Truly enjoyable !

Is there a good surround compilation of Brahms? Asking for a friend ;)
Brahms is surprisingly poorly represented on SACD, at least compared to Beethoven. There's an interesting cycle of his symphonies on CPO which has been controversial for being much more historically informed than the typical Brahms recording. I like Masur's 70s cycle, reissued in quad from Pentatone, but others found it stodgy - I found it solid. Ivan Fischer has recorded all the symphonies for Channel except the 3rd, and they're excellent as well (suspect the 3rd will be done)

For the German Requiem, the version from BSO's house label is the clear choice.

Brahms is surprisingly poorly represented on SACD, at least compared to Beethoven. There's an interesting cycle of his symphonies on CPO which has been controversial for being much more historically informed than the typical Brahms recording. I like Masur's 70s cycle, reissued in quad from Pentatone, but others found it stodgy - I found it solid. Ivan Fischer has recorded all the symphonies for Channel except the 3rd, and they're excellent as well (suspect the 3rd will be done)

For the German Requiem, the version from BSO's house label is the clear choice.

I found this Pentatone RQR recording to be most engaging and the sonics are likewise SUPERB: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2367#reviews

51LmwNoMdQL.jpg

Along with the above recommendations, let me add Marek Janowski (conductor) & the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra's recording of Brahms's 4 symphonies. Their performances are also solid and can be warmly recommended. PentaTone did a fantastic job with the multichannel recording. It's not full out discrete Quad, but it's wonderfully realistic & immersive. I don't think there is a box set. HERE is the 4th Symphony SACD.

Last edited:
A few other thoughts - Julia Fischer and friends are the obvious choice for the violin and double concertos, although Vadim Gluzman is good too in the violin concerto. There's still no obvious recommendation for the two piano concertos. There are quite a few excellent recordings of the chamber and piano music.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! Yes, "my friend" is me, hoping to expand my classical collection. As noted, Beethoven (as well as Chopin) make up a large part and I want to branch out. I do have all the lovely 3-channel LIVING STEREO sacds, though. As a keyboard player, I'm partial to all the piano-based arrangements, but the string quartets sound intriguing. . . .

The early mention of Presto led me to this -- Clarinet / cello / piano Sonatas (cheap! but sounds fun):

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=BISSACD1353

And I found the Masur cycle on Discogs :D Once I've digested those (and receive a few more paychecks), I'll continue on with the Grumiaux and Auryn Quartet.

Thanks again! You guys come through!

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! Yes, "my friend" is me, hoping to expand my classical collection. As noted, Beethoven (as well as Chopin) make up a large part and I want to branch out. I do have all the lovely 3-channel LIVING STEREO sacds, though. As a keyboard player, I'm partial to all the piano-based arrangements, but the string quartets sound intriguing. . . .

The early mention of Presto led me to this -- Clarinet / cello / piano Sonatas (cheap! but sounds fun):

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=BISSACD1353

And I found the Masur cycle on Discogs :D Once I've digested those (and receive a few more paychecks), I'll continue on with the Grumiaux and Auryn Quartet.

Thanks again! You guys come through!

Late to the party here, @hallbroome: it's not part of a cycle, but don't overlook Michael Dutton's excellent remix of Brahms's 1st symphony, sandwiched in between his remasters of Robert Augur's very discrete quad mixes of the Mahler 1st and 4th, all conducted by James Levine, on a 2-disc set that appeared in 2017.

Back