List the speakers you have

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobie1dog

500 Club - QQ All-Star
The final transducers determine the quality of sound. Please list your brand and model of speakers that you have in your system, including subwoofers. Should be fun to see what everyone is using. Please include any stories about them or why you selected them.

Thanks

Mains are a set of 5 Sony SS-M3s.* Started out with a stereo pair way back in about 1990. I was impressed by their refreshingly neutral sound. They didn't jump out and dazzle me - they just seemed to get everything right. I liked the way they were put together as well: Peerless drivers, sealed 1-inch-thick MDF trapezoidal enclosures, 4-pole (24dB) Linkwitz-Riley crossovers. These were not your typical Sony mass-market speakers.

At about $500 apiece, they would've been out of my price range, but I got lucky - the music store I worked at was liquidating its audio-video department, so with my employee discount I was able to score the pair for about half price. Over the next 10 or 15 years, as my interest in multichannel grew, I started collecting them on Ebay until I had 5 of 'em.

A few years ago, I got the urge to tinker. So I spent a lot of time learning how to take accurate measurements. Then I spent a lot more time measuring the hell out of them. As good as they were, I saw a few areas that could be improved, especially with current technology. So I pulled out the internal passive crossovers, and went to a full-active setup using a pair of miniDSP nanoAVR-HDAs for driver & room correction, and a pair of Outlaw Audio 7075 power amps connected directly to the individual drivers. The sound is now more transparent and organic than ever. They don't sound much like speakers anymore - the music seems to just materialize in the room. It's immensely satisfying. I'm thinking I must've done something right, because I haven't felt that urge to mess with them in a long time!

Below 70 Hz, I'm using a pair of Kenwood 12" dual-voice-coil car stereo woofers, with an individual 110W RMS-rated amp channel connected to each voice coil (4 total). Not a lot of power by today's standards, but I can't get too crazy since I live in an apartment. The woofs are installed in 2 original fake-wood-grain Large Advent boxes, with the original crossovers & tweeters still in place but disconnected. I've had the Advents since I was a teenager (I'm 61 now). They look like hell - they were blasting away in my van when I totaled it back in 1980, so there are big chunks out of the particle board in places - but they're still sealed, and with the Kenwood drivers they're room-tuned nice and smooth right down to 16 Hz, so I don't give a damn how they look. One of the few upsides to being terminally single is that I can have any kind of jank-ass rat-rod speakers I want in the living room. Besides, I'm kinda sentimental about these old Advents - we've been through a lot together.

*These aren't mine - just an online pic I found. My Sonys ain't as pretty as these either, but they sound better. ;)

Last edited:
I'm using 2 pairs of Revel Performa3 M106 stand-mounted monitors in a quad configuration, along with a pair of Mirage BPS-400 (circa 1983) bipolar 12" subs. I don't use a center channel speaker. The whole setup is in a dedicated, purpose-built listening room that I constructed and finished earlier this year. The Revels are powered by two Adcom GFA-5500 stereo amps. The only other component in the system is a new Oppo UDP-205, which serves as the signal source, processor and preamp. My goals for this system were a simple analog signal path from source to ear, and high-end accuracy while keeping the budget reasonable.

I chose the Revels after spending months researching speaker options. Their response is extraordinarily smooth and flat, resulting in highly accurate sound. I'm a big fan of Dr. Floyd Toole's research, which led to Harman's highly scientific approach to speaker design (Revel is a Harman brand).

Yeah, show us yours Hobie! :p
Well.....I'm kinda in a transition period as I do not have my system going again after moving into a condo last year. I have a room that is 13x14 just for music. I did have 2 pair of Clements RT -7 speakers with the 7" ribbon tweeters, and 8" woofer in the patented Compression Line Loading towers as my front speakers. I have moved one pair down to the garage/man cave. I'm pretty sure that I will move the other pair into the surround speaker position as they will fit perfectly in the allotted space. I am going to get some different /new to me/used speakers for the front mains. I have to see what kind of deals I come across. Same goes for a subwoofer. The goal is to have a great sounding system at moderate/condo listening levels. It's easy to have it sound good when turned up, much more difficult to get a full sound at lower volumes.

I will update my status when I get some new front speakers and the subwoofer.

Also please post pictures of your listening rooms too, pictures are always more enjoyable than boring text.

4x Monitor Audio Silver RS8 Floor-standers & Monitor Audio Silver RS-LCR Centre (I don't have a Sub).

I like the Monitor Audio speakers because they are neutral sounding and the closest I could find (and that I could afford at the time) to the sound and clarity of the Studio Monitors I've heard.

Fronts- Polk Monitor 10B. These have been in my family for years and they still sound great

Rears and Center- Polk Monitor 5JR. I don't have room for five 10Bs and these were the closest match I could find, same tweeter and cone design.

Also please post pictures of your listening rooms too, pictures are always more enjoyable than boring text.

Old thread for that definitely worth checking out:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/show-us-your-gear.6450/page-13

Last edited:
Fronts: KEF iQ90
Centre: KEF Q600
Rears: KEF Cresta 2
Sub: REL Quake

When I got the KEF fronts, JB-Hifi had a bunch of different brands of speakers (I recall Jamo and/or Jensen being one of them but can't remember what the others were) all hooked up to the same source and I could flick a switch to cycle between the same source playing across the different speakers. Really handy for comparing them side-by-side. While some had a better mid-range than the KEFs, The KEFs had a better high end which I liked and thought was a bit different as I hadn't heard much clear, high end detail before.

Last edited:
Mains: Onix Rocket RS 1000s
https://www.audioholics.com/trade-shows/2004-cedia-expo/onix-rocket-rs-1000-loudspeaker
Center: Onix Rocket RSC 200
Sides: Onix Rocket RS 450
Front Wides: RS 250
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/onix-rocket-speakers-8-2003.html
Rears: Onix Rocket RS 300
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/onix-rocket-rss-300-speakers-6-2003.html
AV123 was an ID company that put out some beautiful speakers that perform very well. Unfortunately, this happened:
https://hometheaterreview.com/av123...dicted-in-colorado-for-alleged-charity-fraud/

Back