List the speakers you have

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, so then I propose that we amicably call it quits on this, I really like everyone here at QQ, including you, and not least for your passion, which clearly matches my own.
I don’t believe there are any further points to be brought out here that will ever be resolved anyway.

We can agree to disagree on this topic and kindly invite everyone back to enjoy the original purpose of the “What speaker do you have” thread?

Besides, no one including you can possibly know what my system sounds or performs like by these discussions, and if you made the trip here to listen, you may decide it’s terrible anyway. However, there is one person who truly loves the sound, I bet you can easily guess who?

We cool?

Alright, so then I propose that we amicably call it quits on this, I really like everyone here at QQ, including you, and not least for your passion, which clearly matches my own.
I don’t believe there are any further points to be brought out here that will ever be resolved anyway.

We can agree to disagree on this topic and kindly invite everyone back to enjoy the original purpose of the “What speaker do you have” thread?

Besides, no one including you can possibly know what my system sounds or performs like by these discussions, and if you made the trip here to listen, you may decide it’s terrible anyway. However, there is one person who truly loves the sound, I bet you can easily guess who?

We cool?
We cool. As I said before.

And I’m sure your love your sound. Which is all that matters. :).

I have four Spendor SR5 speakers for the front and rear L & R and a PMC DB1+ centre speaker with a REL Stampede sub-woofer. The Spendor speaker was specifically designed for wall mounting and is perfect for use where, like me, there is no room for floor standing speakers. The sound quality seems very good to me but they absolutely need a good sub-woofer. Unfortunately Spendor no longer make them possibly because they mainly marketed them as surround speakers but they are hugely capable despite their relatively small size.

The PMC centre is a good match and essential as the smallest Spendor centre speaker is massive and impossible for me to accommodate. The REL Stampede is perfect as it takes both low level and high level outputs so it works even with 4.0 or 5.0 presentation and it's most invaluable feature is that every parameter is remote controlled. It is very easy to adjust the sub-bass for all of the variable bass on the various mixes and formats. I would not wish to be without this feature and highly recommend it. Getting the crossover frequency right is tricky though and can benefit from being adjusted with certain albums.

The source is a Cambridge Audio CXU universal blu-ray player and the amp is an Arcam AVR 350 and the front L & R speakers are bi-amped using the spare channels, 7.1 to 5.1. Notwithstanding the discussion earlier in this post it made a difference to the sound quality in this system when I was able to configure it.

Having written this post it has now occurred to me that all of the equipment is from British companies although not by design. In fact, the PMC speaker is made less than a mile from home, by this world renowned manufacturer, so I should really have had everything from them but they don't make wall mounts or remote controlled subs so, just the centre speaker. Anyway, I like the sound of my system so much there are definitely no upgrades pending! And my wife is happy the system does not totally dominate our living room. So all good really.

Last edited:
Finishing up a dedicated, sound isolated room. I had this system is an open room prior and I can’t wait to get things set up, calibrated and rocking.

LCR-active (powered) Danley SH-100B’s
Side and rear surrounds-4x Active Danley SH-100’s
Atmos-6x DIY soundgroup Volt 10
Subs-4x Danley DTS-10’s

Finishing up a dedicated, sound isolated room. I had this system is an open room prior and I can’t wait to get things set up, calibrated and rocking.

LCR-active (powered) Danley SH-100B’s
Side and rear surrounds-4x Active Danley SH-100’s
Atmos-6x DIY soundgroup Volt 10
Subs-4x Danley DTS-10’s
That’s going to be a crapload of spl

Last edited:
The noise floor of the room being isolated and how cleanly these Danley’s play without distortion should make it difficult fo the speakers to break a sweat. I also have two DIYsoundgroup MBM 12 I may use nearfiled I or may sell waiting to see how everything sounds. Always a want for more in this hobby.

Fronts: Acoustic Research AR9: 4-way system: 2x12" Woofers; 8" Lower Mid-Range; 1-1/2" Dome Upper Mid-Range; 3/4" dome Tweeter
Surrounds: Acoustic Research AR90: 4-way system: 2x10" Woofers; 8" Lower Mid-Range; 1-1/2" Dome Upper Mid-Range; 3/4" dome Tweeter
Center: Acoustic Research AR91: 3-way system: 12" Woofer; 1-1/2" Dome Mid-Range; 3/4" dome Tweeter
Rears: Boston Acoustics A70: 2-way system: 8" Woofer; 1" dome Tweeter

All speakers reworked in 2017 with new capacitors (polypropylene or non-polarized electrolytics where appropriate) along with film and foil bypass caps across all. New audio grade resistors.

Subwoofer channel routed to woofers on AR9 and AR90.

Wow, there are some high rollers in here, as I just wish that I could hear all these systems. I've not had a chance to listen to the top end AR speakers, but I love high displacement speakers, there's just no substitute for lots of surface area whether it be the huge Infinity IRS, Genesis, Soundlab, Magnepan 3.0 and 20.0 series, pipedreams line arrays, Martin Logan CLS, VMPS towers, etc. I wish I could have kept my 8ft tall line arrays (16 drivers per cabinet) that I built with the matching 8ft long sub with (4) 18" woofers powered by a 6K watt amp I also built. Those were the glory days.

Last edited:
This is a good topic for a thread!
Bi-amping is awesome.

It is advantageous to split the four signals at line-level thru speaker management processors.
This requires 8 (eight) channels of amplified signal.

Each corner of the room have an 18 inch JBL SR4718X 4ohm subwoofer, powered by a pair of Crown MA5002VZ 5kw amplifiers.
Play these subs too loud and they could dismantle even a well constructed residential building!
At shoulder height are four SPA-1230 three-way Smith Pro Audio speakers powered by 4 Crown PowerLine Four amps in mono mode.
Play these too loud and they will extinguish any life forms left in the rubble after the subs are done!
This is not the point, it's the transient impact and dynamic range that this capability provides, crystal clear brutal honesty sonically, so it is paramount to have excellent and exceptional source material to play.

These beauties (Crown PL4s) replaced the two Crown MA3600VZ amps, because the 3600s have cooling Fanformers that run very loud, so loud in fact that two of these amps powering on in a small living room sound more like multi-ton commercial HVAC units coming on!

Pre amps used are two Crown (SL-2) Straight Line Twos.
Optional signal chain loops include a variety of old school quad processors, dynamic range expanders (2 dbx 4bx units), White Instruments equalizers, a pair of Aphex Aural Exiters w/Optical Big Bottom, DBX 622, a pair of Yamaha SPX-990 effects units and a bunch of other optional items not worth mentioning here.

The whole idea for me is to make it sound like all the live electrified musicians are actually in the room having fun, doing it for real ... and with reckless abandon!
and a big bank balance!

I have a set up of 7.1 Infinity Kappa speakers.

Bq0a913.jpg

This Kappa series was engineered an manufactured in Denmark around 2005. Mine are Maple veneer - as shown in pic. I really like the design and sound of them. The big fronts have 10" side firing woofers.

And 4x JBL Arena 130 in the ceiling for Atmos.

All powered by Rotel amps.

There are things in this thread that make me feel like Ms. Low-fi. I've been meaning to add my 2 cents for weeks.

In the forseeable future, the Mission sub in bedroom is the only speaker I expect to replace.

Caveat: I'm too damn lazy to list all the #'s. You'll see them all if/when the "your gear" listings can be retrieved.

MAIN SYSTEM:
4 MISSION 775 towers
every time I connect/disconnect these, I look at those multiple binding posts, I consider all the wonderul and expensive Active crossover stuff. Maybe some day. Amps/preamp are connected with balanced lines and 12v triggers.
Mission matching center
REL T-9 sub
B&K preamp/amps 250w/ch x 2 200w/ch x 3

Bedroom:
4 Polk L20e bookshelf
Mission sub
(phantom center)
Denon AVR-3801 110w/ch x 7

Rec Room:
2 Philips 3-ways
2 Electro-Voice 3-ways (rear)
Decoupled from floor w/AR speaker stands
Marantz Quad w/SQA-2b
4 big, hunkin' 12" 3 way "bookshelf speakers." Better reinforce those shelves!!

Joe's Office (bedroom):
Sony HTIB (plays SACD)
5 speakers
1 sub (passive)

I inherited the HTIB from my late dad. The price was right.

We also have some Kenwood 2-way bookshelf speakers. I bought these for my folks as a Christmas present 40 years ago.

Car Fi:
Linda's Convertible:
CD/DVD/DVD-A/NAV
7 Boston Acoustic
Boston Sub

Saturn:
Alpine CD
4 Infinity speakers
JL Labs 12" sub w/box

Joe's car:
2018 Ford factory stuff

Last edited: