List the speakers you have

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobie1dog, I'm very happy to see that you did not let frivolous financial obstructions such as eating and bill paying interfere with attaining audio nirvana.
After getting them home, they were just too big for the room as they were in the way of the projection screen and they had almost no bass, and it's all about the bass.....no bass, equals shitty sound

Last edited:
4x Monitor Audio Silver RS8 Floor-standers & Monitor Audio Silver RS-LCR Centre (I don't have a Sub).

I like the Monitor Audio speakers because they are neutral sounding and the closest I could find (and that I could afford at the time) to the sound and clarity of the Studio Monitors I've heard.
I too went the Monitor Audio route - Silver 8s for the mains, Silver FXs for the rears, and a Silver Centre for the center. They're paired with an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub. As you mentioned, the Monitor Audios deliver a fantastic neutral sound to my ear. Even though the Silver 8s produce a very nice bottom end, the Outlaw adds just that extra amount of low end that I love. My only regret is not going with four Silver 8s like you did with RS8s. Oh well, maybe someday I'll pick up a second pair on eBay.

After getting them home, they were just too big for three room as they were in the way of the projection screek and they had almost no bass, and it's all about the bass.....no bass, equals shitty sound
Bass shyness has to be the most common complaint with planar speakers. Next is probably the huge amount of power required to make them sing.

Ok, here goes...Jbl horizons and Jbl 112s (rear) in main system run by Marantz 4100 quad amp and Audio control/pioneer equalizers. Jbl centurys and Jbl 4312's (rear) in attatched garage, run by Adcom 4ch amp and Carver/Luxman preamps with SAE parametric and technics EQ. Could substitue Marantz HD 88's and HD 770's in the main system, but I have the HD 88s being run by a Sansui 9090 receiver and a nice Teac X2000r reel deck in the same main system room (stereo). I also have a Pioneer SX 950 receiver running a pair of Elite (Pioneer) TZ- 7 speakers with Soundcraftsman EQ in the same room which is built into the back wall (which also houses the Jbl L112's). I got the Elites from a Laserland store in Denver at half price because they didn't fit in with the "decour" of the original owner and had been returned. I could also exchange quad system speakers with Technics SB 6060 and SB 6000 (rear), but I blew the 6000s domes a while back. A pair of JBL L96's sits idle because they just don't have the same unrestrained sound as the 12 inch 3 way JBL systems. A pair of JBL L212's with matching sub sits idle because you can only get so much stuff into available space. My garage has two more stereo systems in place, Polk 10B monitors (what a GREAT speaker-2nd to none) being run by a Soundcrafstman Ma5002 amp and matching EQ. The other garage system is a pair of Pioneer HPM 900's being fed from a sweet sounding Harmon Kardon 430 receiver and pioneer sg-9 eq. I have a bunch of separate power amps, but cannot tell any difference in sound when replacing the receivers with separates. It just seems at a certain cost point (higher end range), all of the 70's gear sounds good. All of these systems have cassette, reel decks, cd, vinyl and 8 track. One stereo system has Tascam dat and one has Optimas dcc cassette.The main quad system has a Harmon Kardon Linear tracking table with JVC 4md20 cd-4 cart and is the only system with hi res bluray. The Sansui 9090 system has a VPI Scout table hooked in. If you like this type of gear today, try your local Mcintosh dealer.

I'm only listening to my surround music in 5.0. To dump to know how to plug my subwoofer. Am I missing something big???

7.2 system - I'm running 6 of these Klipsch KLF-20 and the matching center speaker. Subwoofers are an Earthquake 15" and a 12" M&K Volkswoofer.

Attachments

• KLF20.JPG
    KLF20.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 193
The ever changing speaker rotation is:

7.1 system

fronts- Def Tech BP-2000 driven by 500 w/ch Cinepro amp
rears- Clements RT-7 ribbon spkrs
back surround- Def Tech BX-2
center- pair of Clements RT-7 w/ dome tweeters
Sub- Def Tech 18 inch, but going to be upgraded to a Stereo Integrity 24 inch sub once the cabinets will be made for them. Driven by bridged channels 1400 watts of Cinepro

5.1 System :

Front speakers - Carver ALS-1, 1988 (60" ribbons, 12" subs)
Center Channel - Bowers & Wilkens LCR60 S3, 2005
Rear speakers - Bowers & Wilkens DM602 S2, 2005
Subwoofer - Velodyne 12" (on loan from Son)

I'm happy with the way it all sounds in our Log Home with it's log walls, hardwood floor, open floor plan and very high ceiling.

Carvers are bi-amped, powered by a pair of Carver M1.5T amps, with a DBX 223 active crossover.
B&Ws are powered by Yamaha RXV-3000 receiver

Last edited:
My upstairs is Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 series fronts, center, and bookshelves for surround, with upward firing Atmos speakers on top of the fronts, with a pair SVS SB12 subs powered by Denon Avr 4500
Basement is Anthony Gallo Classico series IV fronts, center, and series II bookshelf for rears, with a pair of SVS SB12 subs powered by Pioneer Elite SC77

Martin Logan Motion 30 Center
Bowers & Wilkins 683 S2 Floor Standing
Bowers & Wilkins CM5 S2 Bi-Amped Left/Right
Def Tech CS-8060HD surround left
Def Tech CS-8060HD surround right
Def Tech A60 Atmos upfiring
Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos upfiring
KEF PSW 2150 sub
Boston Acoustics SB6 - sub

My upstairs is Elac Debut 2.0 6.2 series fronts, center, and bookshelves for surround, with upward firing Atmos speakers on top of the fronts, with a pair SVS SB12 subs powered by Denon Avr 4500
Basement is Anthony Gallo Classico series IV fronts, center, and series II bookshelf for rears, with a pair of SVS SB12 subs powered by Pioneer Elite SC77

I updated my Elac speakers (although when compared to my new speakers, they still sound very good) to Dali Opticon 5's for both front and rear, and Dali Opticon Vokal for center. I am a sucker for the ribbon tweeters, and these have a hybrid ribbon and dome tweeter. I discovered that by having the 4 main speakers the same, then selecting extended stereo (my rear speakers are actually barely behind me) it is almost surround sound with everything I listen to. It isn't discreet but sounds amazing. Is it the new speakers being the same or the stereo effect? Yes!

Back