Listening to Now In DSD Downloads - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sentiments by Jazz great Sahib Shihab and an all star combo in Stereo DSD 256 (created from the Analog Tapes, Not on SACD).
Another Jazz classic from the team at 2xHD Mastering and Storyville Records.
Recommended!

Sentiments - 2XHDST1126 - 450.jpg

Sentiments by sax and reed player Sahib Shihab is a new Stereo DSD 256 release from 2xHD Mastering - Storyville Records. The album is a Jazz classic that reviewers praised for its "exotic blend of hard bop and African rhythm, featuring Shihab's dancing soprano sax." Sentiments was recorded in 1971 in Copenhagen with a combo that includes pianist Kenny Drew, bassist Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen, and drummer Jimmy Hopps.

This is an Analog recording that was transferred to Stereo DSD 256 by Rene Laflamme at 2xHD Mastering using the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 converter. You will find it at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64. It is a DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release.

Chris Kelsey of Jazz Times says "Saxophonist and flutist Sahib Shihab hit the scene a tiny bit later than the first generation of beboppers. Perhaps as a consequence, he never attained anything near their renown. He was nevertheless a fine, versatile player, and as this album shows-an underappreciated composer and arranger.

This music comes from sessions Shihab played in his adopted home of Copenhagen in 1971 with a quartet featuring the pianist Kenny Drew. Shihab plays soprano on most of the quartet tracks, displaying a heartiness of tone not often heard on the small horn. His baritone work is first-class. On the medium swinger “From Me to You” he plays with a dark tone and shows a loose, expressive manner of shaping his line. His alto flute is, if anything, even more compelling; he has a nicely elliptical, rhythmically ambiguous approach that flows naturally in and out of time on the bossa-tinged “Companionship.”

I recommend this album unreservedly-a wonderful document by a little-remembered yet manifestly world-class musician."

https://2xhdstoryville.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDST1126-sentiments

I forgot I had it, the beauty of JRiver, listening now to the DSD download of Santana Abraxxas, stereo, double DSD at 1764K, awesome. I have a story about this in high school with Peter Green, but I'll save for later.

Up On The Roof - Live to DSD 256 Stereo recording by Shanti, pop singer from Japan
From Shanti Snyder Music and Amphion Loudspeakers. (DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release).
An enjoyable one. Recommended. (Under $5 for the single in DSD 256).

Up On The Roof - SHTM0001 - 450.jpg

Worldwide Debut! Up On The Roof by Shanti in DSD 256

Shanti, a popular vocalist in Japan has teamed up with pro and home audio loudspeaker company Amphion Loudspeakers to record a live to DSD 256 session featuring the classic song Up On The Roof on her Shanti Snyder Music label - the 64th music label at NativeDSD.

Originally released only in Japan, the recording quickly became the #1 Best Seller there. Now NativeDSD Music brings this excellent recording to our listeners in Stereo DSD 256 - as well as in DSD 128 and DSD 64 for the first time anywhere. Better yet, to make sure that everyone can enjoy this DSD SIngle, we're pricing it at 3.71 Euros or $4.33 US dollars. A very tempting offer indeed!

Shanti says "I am so excited to bring to you this all-time Carole King standard to you in the DSD format. It is raw, live and non-mastered. The spirit of the song is kept alive while simultaneously exploring sound quality which is the vision Amphion Loudspeakers and I have in common. It always has to be a balance! I hope that this is just the beginning of many songs to reach your heart! Bless!"

To learn more about this unique project, be sure to watch the interview of Shanti by DJ Kamasami Kong on "Japan Tonight" from YouTube that we have linked below.

https://shantimusic.nativedsd.com/albums/shtm0001-up-on-the-roof-single

Tender Ballads by Peggy Lee in DSD 256. (DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD).
From 2xHD's Historic series. Very nice.

Peggy Lee - from Original Transcription Master - 450.jpg

Tender Ballads is a new release featuring rare recordings from 1948 by legendary singer Peggy Lee. On the album, Lee is backed by a quartet that features feature Bob Whitlock on bass, Gene DiNovi on piano, Stella Castellucci on harp, and Larry Bunker on drums.

This is part of 2xHD's Historic series of DSD releases. It is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD. At the NativeDSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64.

2xHD says "Peggy Lee’s laser-beam focus and ability to cast a spell are famously mesmerizing, even when she has only a couple of minutes to make her statement. Her signature seductive husky-sweet, infinitely expressive voice contains a wealth of texture and nuance that is still as captivating as always.

This album contains rare, intimate renditions giving the listener a chance to hear those small-group club charts, some of which are pared-down versions of Peggy Lee’s lavishly arranged Decca recordings. This historical recording which sheds a rare light on this period of her magnificent career was made in 1948 on 78 rpm acetate for the World Program Service and was brilliantly restored from the master by 2xHD’s FUSION mastering system."

Stereophile Reviewer Jason Victor Serinus says that Tender Ballads is “a beautiful sounding 1948 recording of Peggy Lee. Rescued from acetate masters on which the noise level was unacceptable until (2xHD’s) René (Laflamme & André Perry) stepped in. It left me in a state of wow.”

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDJA1135-tender-ballads
https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdMusic/photos/a.765908406800903/1986163774775354/?type=3

Time for some blues. Here is Europe's best known Blues singer and guitarist Hans Theessink in Stereo DSD 256 performing Live at Jazzland with just a guitar, harp and vocals.
Great sound and fine musical performances. Recommended!

Live at Jazzland Cover - 450.jpg

The new Stereo DSD release "Live At Jazzland" showcases famed Dutch Blues Singer and Guitarist Hans Theessink. Hans is one of the top blues and roots musicians in the world who has entertained audiences during a musical career that spans over more than 35 years. The world's leading Blues publication Blues Revue wrote: "Hans Theessink is an international blues treasure. He is one of the world's pre-eminent Country Pickers and his warm baritone expresses the Blues".

Live at Jazzland features his rich voice and fine Blues guitar. The album is full of fun and energy. He plays ten songs here, just guitar and vocals, occasionally a little harmonica or foot-tapping. The tracks include both traditional blues songs and pop classics Maybellene by Chuck Berry and Walking The Dog by Rufus Thomas.

The album was produced and recorded by Dirk Sommer and Birgit Hammer-Sommer and then transferred from the Live Concert Analog Master Tape to Stereo DSD 256 by Dirk Sommer at Sommelier du son (Steward of Sound) and HiFi Statement Magazine using the Playback Designs Pinot Analog to DSD 256 Converter. The sound quality on this album in DSD is really something. You will find it hard to believe that it is from a live concert. The bottom line - you will want to own this album in DSD!

It's available today at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64. This is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release.

https://sommelierduson.nativedsd.com/albums/sds0016-live-at-jazzland

Vibes A La Red with famed Jazz vibes player Red Norvo and an all-star combo in Stereo DSD 256.
Highly Recommended!

Vibes A La Red - Small.jpg

Vibes A La Red featuring famed vibraphone player Red Norvo is a new DSD 256 Stereo release from 2xHD Mastering and Jazzology Records GHB Jazz Foundation. The album features recordings from sessions in New York and Hollywood in 1974 and 1975 with an all-star set of Jazz musicians led by Red Norvo that includes Hank Jones, Jimmy Rowles, Milt Hinton, Jo Jones, Lloyd Ellis, Gene Cherico, and Donald Bailey.

The album was recorded to Analog Tape and has been transferred to Stereo DSD 256 for this release by Rene Laflamme at 2xHD Mastering using Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 Converters.
This is a DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release. Available today at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64.

2xHD tells us "Red Norvo was one of jazz’s early vibraphonists. An unusual star during the swing era, he helped establish the xylophone, marimba, and vibraphone as jazz instruments. His career began in Chicago in 1925 with a band called "The Collegians". He subsequently played with many other bands, including, Benny Goodman, Charlie Barnet, and Woody Herman.

Norvo had a quieter yet no-less fluent style than Lionel Hampton. He recorded with Mildred Bailey (his wife), Billie Holiday, Dinah Shore and Frank Sinatra. Norvo and his wife were known as "Mr. and Mrs. Swing"."

Reviewer Scott Yanow from AllMusic says "This long out of print album from the defunct Famous Door label was vibraphonist Red Norvo's first date as a leader in five years (since an Affinity session with the Newport All-Stars). Although largely neglected in the 1960s, Norvo was still in prime form as he shows on such numbers as "The One I Love," "Tea for Two," and "Runnin' Wild."

He is heard either with a quartet, also including pianist Hank Jones, bassist Milt Hinton, and drummer Jo Jones, or a quintet with pianist Jimmie Rowles, bassist Gene Cherico, drummer Donald Bailey, and guitarist Lloyd Ellis. High-quality swing from one of the great vibraphonists."

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDJA1136-vibes-a-la-red

Now here's one for Jazz fans from 2xHD.
In The Spirit of Legends performed by Fred Alarie and his Jazz Trio featuring Frédéric Alarie (bass), John Roney (piano) and Ron DiLauro (trumpet).

Not a reissue, but a brand new Live Analog Recording that is a tribute to Chet Baker and Scott LaFaro.
Transferred from Analog Tape to Stereo DSD 256 by Rene LaFlamme at 2xHD. DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD.
Highly recommended!

A Top 5 DSD Best Seller!

Fred Alarie and his Jazz Trio featuring Frédéric Alarie (bass), John Roney (piano) and Ron DiLauro (trumpet). perform a tribute to Jazz greats trumpeter and vocalist Chet Baker and bass player Scott LaFaro on this new album. It’s a real treat – a new Analog recording of some very fine Jazz music. (And don’t forget that we have original Analog to DSD 256 recordings by Chet Baker and Scott LaFaro at the NativeDSD Music store as well as this fine tribute album).

In The Spirit of Legends was recorded live on December 1st, 2017 at La Chapel Historique du Bon Pasteur in Montreal by Rene Laflamme at 2xhd Mastering. Only one pair of Neumann U 67 microphones were used. The tube microphones were connected directly to the D. W. Fearn Professional Audio Products VT2 microphone Tube Preamplifier and then fed into the NAGRA AUDIO IV-S, 1/4” Stereo/15 IPS NAB Analog Tape Recorder, on SM 468 magnetic tape. The album was then transferred to Stereo DSD 256 by 2xHD for your listening enjoyment.

It is available at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64. This is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release.

Fred Alarie is one of the most sought-after stand-up bass players in Canada. He amazes Jazz fans by the color, depth, and audacity he puts forward in his work. As a musician, composer or soloist, he constantly pushes the limits of both his own expression and of jazz itself.

Jonathan Valin of The Absolute Sound writes that the album “Sounded truly wonderful—beautiful, majestic, and very full-range. I was particularly wowed by the tribute to Chet Baker, recorded with Neumann U67s, which had gorgeous timbre and realistic bite on trumpet...”

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDFA1138-in-the-spirit-of-legends-chet-baker-scott-lafaro

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDSW1103-early-chet-lost-tapes
https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1058-pieces-of-jade

Don't You Cry by Carmen Gomes Inc. in Stereo DSD 256
A new album featuring Carmen Gomes - a Blues/Jazz Vocalist - and Her Trio , recorded live with One Microphone.
It's a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release.

Recommended!

A New #1 DSD Best Seller
Carmen Gomes Inc. Returns with One Microphone Recording

Carmen Gomes Inc. is a quartet featuring singer Carmen Gomes, Folker Tettero (guitar), Peter Bjornild (bass), and Bert Kamsteeg (drums). Known for music they describe as "Vocal Soul/Jazz with a Bluesy Touch", the quartet debuted on Native DSD Music with a tribute to Harry Belafonte titled Carmen Gomes Sings The Blues (A Top 20 DSD Best Seller at NativeDSD). Their guitarist, Folker Tettero, followed with a tribute to the music of Eddie Harris and Les McCann titled Tettero plays Eddie Harris and Les McCann.

This week, we bring you their latest work Don't You Cry, a unique One Microphone Recording. The album includes almost 1 hour of music featuring standards including Unchain My Heart, Do I Move You by Nina Simone, Summertime by George Gershwin, Billie's Blues by Billie Holiday, I'm Walking by Fats Domino, I've Grown Accustomed to His Face by Lerner and Loewe and more. What makes the album unique is that all of the tracks are record live with just one microphone and in most cases in one take.

Peter Bjornild tells us about the album "The ideal recording would be one that sounds as if the band is right there in front you. We have one pair of ears, so why not take a stereo microphone, place it in front of the band and press record? Simple ...but somehow it does not work like that. At least we have not yet heard a one microphone recording of a whole band, that we found completely satisfying in a while.

We are big fans of Josephson microphones. They are the secret to our critically acclaimed double bass sound. So we thought that if one mic would be able to do the impossible, it would be the Josephson C700S stereo microphone."

We had hoped to be able to try it out on a Carmen Gomes’ recording session, but there was an unforeseen problem with the delivery, the mic would not be on time. Having booked the studio and the musicians, we decided to go ahead and record the album the way we mostly do; a stereo pair and spot mic’s on the individual instruments. We had just recorded the last song of the session when the Josephson C700S arrived.

The band had to go and play a gig in the evening and Frans had a lot on his mind that day, so nobody was really in the mood for testing a new microphone but Carmen said: Come on, lets just make a quick take of something simple; "Let’s play 'How Long'!". So we all gathered around the mic, made the take, packed up and rushed off to the gig of the evening.

Next day Frans called me up and said; "I can’t stop listening".
"Did you already make a premix of the session", I asked.
"No, I am talking about the one take with the Josephson C700S; there is something very special about it, we need to really test that mic. Could you all come back next month?"

The band had just spent 3 days recording an album and we were rather pleased with the result. So as not to waste any precious studio time, we grabbed a bunch of songs that have been in our live repertoire for years and went back in.

Special credit goes to drummer Bert Kamsteeg who, while playing a full modern drum kit, managed to drive and color each tune with his unique style, but never overpower the pure non amplified sound of Carmen’s voice and my upright bass.

Guitarist Folker Tettero decided to play the whole session on his old archtop guitar. It is quite unique that you can actually hear the pure acoustic sound of the guitar blending in so well with the sound from his custom made amplifier. Listen to Folker's comping during the bass solo in 'Where Can I Go'; that’s practically the pure sound of his guitar and not to forget; the sound of his hands.

Almost all the songs are first takes. Except for 'Billie’s Blues' and 'How Long' where second takes where needed in order to get the balance right."

Don't You Cry is available today at the Native DSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD. You will want to download a copy and see what all the excitement is about!

https://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1030A-dont-you-cryhttps://www.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1023A-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blueshttps://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1028A-tettero-plays-eddie-harris-and-les-mccann

I Cried For You - with Jazz greats Buddy Tate and Harry "Sweets" Edison in Stereo DSD 256. (DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release).
Recommended!

Jazz Great Buddy Tate Returns to Native DSD Music!
A Top 5 DSD Best Seller

Jazz Saxophone Legend Buddy Tate returns to NativeDSD Music with the new DSD release I Cried For You from 2xHD Mastering - Jazzology Records. (His earlier release Body & Soul is also available at the NativeDSD Music store). The new album features Tate on Saxophone and another Jazz great - trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison - along with Koos Ven Der Sluis (bass), Ted Easton (drums), and Chris Smildiger (piano) - as they perform a series of standards including Cotton Club Parade, Melody For Two, Stardust, Moonglow and Prisoner of Love.

I Cried For You has been transferred from the Original Analog Master to Stereo DSD 256 by Rene Laflamme at 2xHD Mastering using a Nagra-T tape recorder and the Merging Technologies Horus Analog to DSD 256 converter. A Nagra HD-DAC is used as a reference digital playback converter to A/B the resulting DSD transfer from Analog Tape.

2xHD-Jazzology says "Here is a beautiful partnership between one of the most individual tenor sax players from the swing era the distinctive Buddy Tate, and the always swinging Harry “Sweets” Edison who got the most mileage out of a single note and is immediately recognizable within a note or two for his long-used playing style that offers repetition and simplicity."

The album is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release. It is available today at the NativeDSD Music store in Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128 and DSD 64.

https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDJA1144-i-cried-for-youhttps://www.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDST1114-buddy-tate-body-and-soul

Free: Soulful Piano Reflections by the Witmer Trio in Stereo DSD 256.
Nice mellow jazzy takes on Soul classics from the '70s and '80s. Great sonics. Recommended!

Free: Soulful Piano Reflections is the newest release in the Sound Liaison Live Tribute Series. Sound Liaison has embarked upon a series of live Jazz recordings that are tributes to some of popular music’s greatest artists and songs. This has included albums highlighting the music of The Beatles, Harry Belafonte, Louis Armstrong, and Eddie Harris and Les McCann.

This week we bring you Free: Soulful Piano Reflections by the Witmer Trio. It’s a mellow, jazzy take on a full album worth of Soul classics from the ‘70s and ‘80s. The tracks include Ain’t No Sunshine (Bill Withers), That’s The Way of the World (Earth, Wind & Fire), When A Man Loves A Woman (Percy Sledge), What’s Going On (Marvin Gaye), Feel Like Makin’ Love (Roberta Flack), The Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding), Roof Garden (Al Jarreau), Let’s Stay Together (Al Green), Knock On Wood (Eddie Floyd), and Fire (Pointer Sisters).

The great conductor Sergiu Celibidache insisted that tempo and dynamic markings were relative, they depended on the sound of the hall.

"We wanted to create a sound field that was intimate but also had enough depth to reflect a visual representation of the instruments.

In a sense we adopted the same philosophy as Cajan Witmer in his arrangements as we wanted the melodic part of each instrument to stand out without overshadowing the whole. Thus the piano and the drums have been given a position in the sound field, instead of the more common, radio friendly approach, with the instruments piled on top of each other with no placement. The benefit of this approach is that you can actually see the trio in front of you between the speakers.

In a sense we are old fashioned, maybe we listened to too many old jazz recordings, but on the other hand.......this is what we believe a high-resolution recording should be about."

-- Frans De Rond & Peter Bjørnild, Sound Liaison

Best of all, Native DSD has this Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64, and DXD recording at some very nice pricing. Starting at only $14.47 for the Stereo DSD 64 edition of the album (DSD 128 = $19.29, DSD 256 = $24.11). This is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release. Definitely worth a download at the NativeDSD Music store. Along with, the earlier Sound Liaison tribute albums as well.

https://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1031A-free
https://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1023A-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blueshttps://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1025A-this-bird-has-flownhttps://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1027A-wild-man-blues-plays-louis-armstronghttps://soundliaison.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1028A-tettero-plays-eddie-harris-and-les-mccann

Listening to this quite impressive DSD256 MCH that I purchased from NativeDSD. Yuko Mabuchi Plays Miles Davis.
I admit adding the exaSound38 to my system has added a huge leap to my listening experience.

View attachment 39624

It's a great album. And follow up to the trio's earlier Album "Yuko Mabuchi Trio" also recorded in DSD 256 Multichannel.
Both are highly recommended here! :)

https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/YAR80161DSD-yuko-mabuchi-triohttps://positive-feedback.com/audio...ve-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2018/5/

Listening now to a real fine album, little countryish, melancholy, exceptional 5.1 surround, guitars with pedal steel, fantastic.
Crossing by David Elias.
"Crossing" was a concept that evolved from its predecessor project "The Window" (2003) by extending the use of minimal tracks (8) and mics to capture the ambient characteristics and nuances of live studio performance sessions created by an acoustic band consisting of guitar, mandolin, dobro, upright bass and drums."
DSD 64 MCH.

Back