Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just doing that and it looks very promising! I don’t know anything else about this recording though. I searched this site for it in the titles and didn’t get a hit...
This thread has a number of posts about Grusin's West Side Story--sounds like a winner! And allmusic gives it a stellar review, too!

This thread has a number of posts about Grusin's West Side Story--sounds like a winner! And allmusic gives it a stellar review, too!
I found that discussion too. I checked out the music on Amazon which let me play samples of each tune and they sound good too. I found a new sealed copy of the DVD DD5.1 at Discogs for $16 with shipping....sold! Should be fun...

This is a new DTS disk to me! I like Dave Grusin and I love West Side Story... What do you think about this disk? Worth hunting down a copy?

Absolutely and there's also a DVD with DTS 5.1 if you cannot find the DTS disc. Audiophile recording as well. Would be agreat candidate for the full hi res Dutton Vocalion treatment.
515xY7-2-PL.jpg

With all the talk about Dave Grusin's West Side Story, I though it's time to give it another spin.
It has a very good surround mix.
Yes it's DTS but to be honest, most if not all of my DTS discs have a better surround treatment than some of the more notable lossless recordings.

Dave Grusin ( I keep wanting to call his surname Crusin!!) knows how to get his band swinging along to his version of West Side Story.
The list of musicians shows that this is a steller production....and it sure is.

https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Grusin-Dave-Grusin-Presents-West-Side-Story/release/6248774

Last edited:
Thought I would carry on with some more Grusin.

Two for the Road
The Music of Henri Mancini

Another top notch DTS mix.

https://www.discogs.com/Dave-Grusin-Two-For-The-Road-The-Music-Of-Henry-Mancini/release/5186749
I like that disk too! It took me 3 tries to buy the correct disk when I went after that album... The first two had the wrong disk in the jewel case... If I remember correctly, they were factory mistakes that had the correct label but the wrong music when played! I almost gave up but I took a final 3rd chance and got the real Grusin/Mancini album.

I like that disk too! It took me 3 tries to buy the correct disk when I went after that album... The first two had the wrong disk in the jewel case... If I remember correctly, they were factory mistakes that had the correct label but the wrong music when played! I almost gave up but I took a final 3rd chance and got the real Grusin/Mancini album.
If it's any consolation, I've been burned by either ignorant or unscrupulous sellers from various outlets. This can be a detective based pastime as well.
And I'm sure we are not alone in this.

Have you played the bonus 5.1 tracks on dvd 2 just over an hour of additional material which I found well worth listening to.
I have Norm...in fact I played it first, as I was intrigued as to what it would sound like with the additional songs.
And they are great too...
Favourite track is Dark Ages ( do I hear a bit of Pink Floyd in the start of the song?)

What's the mix on this live disc like? My walls are shaking over here as I continue to muscle through my essay listening to

View attachment 44029 Groove Armada Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)

The opening two tracks alone are worth the price of admission!
I looooveeee Groove Armada.

The WDR release is slightly centre speaker centric but as I have my rears raised, it's all good.
I have liked big band music from when I was a kid....ahem.....a few years ago now!!
The mix is fine Clem.
And the music is great.

Back