Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting my day with Ian Shaw's other multichannel release (I listened to Lifejacket last week)

View attachment 44408 Ian Shaw Drawn to All Things The Songs of Joni Mitchell

Same ambient reverb-y mix as Lifejacket that, for me, is transcended by Shaw's voice and delivery and the material--man, his interpretations leave me wanting more multichannel Joni (Both Sides Now just isn't enough for me) . . . might there be a future D-V release of Court and Spark and The Hissing of Summer Lawns (no 2-fer for Joni, Mr. Dutton--I'll gladly pay for single releases!)? Here's a review of Shaw's release

All of Linn's multichannel SACDs contain ambient surrounds. I have a ton of them including their fabulous LINN SAMPLERS. Too bad Linn is out of the SACD business [now downloads, only]. As for Joni ...... Both Sides Now was hardly representative of her output I've heard a lot of her early albums have been remixed in 4.0 but whether that's a rumor or fact is one of the great mysteries of our hobby. BLUE was slated for a DVD~A release but canceled. One of her, IMO, SUPREME abums.

All of Linn's multichannel SACDs contain ambient surrounds. I have a ton of them including their fabulous LINN SAMPLERS. Too bad Linn is out of the SACD business [now downloads, only]. As for Joni ...... Both Sides Now was hardly representative of her output I've heard a lot of her early albums have been remixed in 4.0 but whether that's a rumor or fact is one of the great mysteries of our hobby. BLUE was slated for a DVD~A release but canceled. One of her, IMO, SUPREME abums.
I’ve only heard conversions of the older Quad Joni albums, and in my opinion they could all use re-mixing and then of course stellar mastering if and when :rolleyes: I’d like to include “For The Roses” in that want list also. For sure destined for an up- mix since I don’t believe we’ll ever get that one in surround.

I’ve only heard conversions of the older Quad Joni albums, and in my opinion they could all use re-mixing and then of course stellar mastering if and when :rolleyes: I’d like to include “For The Roses” in that want list also. For sure destined for an up- mix since I don’t believe we’ll ever get that one in surround.

I've only heard the HDCD RBCDs of her earliest albums from Warner/Reprise and they're lovely.....but would certainly benefit from a hi res treatment. For one of the MOST influential artists of the late 60's, early seventies and even eighties, SHAME on her labels [Reprise/Asylum/Geffen] for not releasing ALL her albums on physical disc in a higher res format.

See the source image

I had an extra £1000 lying around, . . .

1575420162286.png
Ten Years After A Space In Time

so I sent it to my daughter for grad school. Oh, this DVD? Just followed the @edisonbaggins patented Life In Surround method, waited patiently, checked often, and had more than a little luck. Listened to it twice! Sat in the middle of my room on a swivel chair. Really groovy!

Last edited:
I had an extra £1000 lying around, . . .

View attachment 44414 Ten Years After A Space In Time

so I sent it to my daughter for grad school. Oh, this DVD-A? Just followed the @edisonbaggins patented Life In Surround method, waited patiently, checked often, and had more than a little luck. Listened to it twice! Sat in the middle of my room on a swivel chair. Really groovy!

Excellent gift, Clement. As for the DVD~A [?] of A Space In Time with the vinyl. They can SHOVE IT. Should've offered a corrected disc. Totally Inexcusable for such patented shoddiness. Can you just imagine if WE were Genetically SWITCHED?

See the source image

AREA 51 DETAINEE

Last edited:
Excellent gift, Clement. As for the DVD~A [?] of A Space In Time with the vinyl. They can SHOVE IT. Should've offered a corrected disc. Totally Inexcusable for such patented shoddiness. Can you just imagine if WE were Genetically SWITCHED?

See the source image
Well, if nothing else, your photo has convinced me to go vegan . . . and to put this bird in the blu ray player

1575438645807.png
Steven Wilson The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)

If the raven saw your picture, I completely understand its silence
Since this work has a blu-ray release, why does it only appear on the Audio DVDs & DTS CDs Poll Chart?

Last edited:

not all Ralphie, i can think of one discrete MultiCh Linn SACD.. i present to you Exhibit A; Poulenc Concerto For Organ

iupcOcA.jpg

One helluva lineup

View attachment 44433 Michael Brecker Pilgrimage

One helluva(n) epitaph
And one helluva strange distribution of 8 votes on our
poll . . . 'sup wi' that?

Well, I voted a 9. Michael's last recording until his untimely demise. And we surely miss all those wonderful Telarc/Heads Up multichannel 'epics,' don't we, Clement? Thankfully, I 'gobbled' them all up while they were 'affordable!'

New Be Bop release arrived today, form Burning Shed.
Modern Music

Never heard it before so will give it a few listens before giving my opinion on the mix and clarity.
Although first play through is producing a similar mix to the other Be Bop releases.
Nothing disastrous but not overly adventurous either.

I am enjoying watching the band on the Old Grey Whistle Test with whispering Bob Harris.
Always a date to watch that show whenever I could

Not the right thread but here is a shameless plug for SpecWeb.
All this week I have been up mixing a lot of my stereo albums into 5.1

Are some mixes better than others, yes but I can't recommend this software enough folks.
And Glenn is a top bloke to do business with, very helpful to this fumbling around old bugger.

Go on give it a try, you will be amazed at the results!!
And this is commission free advice!!! :SB

Back