• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
A GREAT album to play while tilling your crops come Spring!
Just finished placing an order for next years seed potatoes....I've doubled the amount, as I'm going to be away more next summer and they don't need watering as much as other veg....more music festivals to attend!!

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Just finished placing an order for next years seed potatoes....I've doubled the amount, as I'm going to be away more next summer and they don't need watering as much as other veg....more music festivals to attend!!
Just open up your fields for a SPUDSTOCK 2020🥔 and bring the festivals to you! I'll bring Adam, the dowager QUAD⚜King, as my date!:SG

See the source image
GIVE ME AN "F"

Last edited:

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Just open up your fields for a SPUDSTOCK 2020 and bring the festivals to you! I'll bring Adam as my date!:SG
Ooh I might find that appealing when the chips are down!!
A Spud You Like festival starring Chuck Roast
I'm sure Adam will have a bag of scratchings!!
A QQ special eh....
With Mates Rates!! :LB

sbrom

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Trying to find a back up copy of this disc.
People complain about the channel assignment.
I like it just the way it is....
Can you rip it for a backup? I have a copy “as is”, and one with F/R reversed. Count me with those who prefer reversed....to each his own :)

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I've had this Chesky DVD-A sitting around (still sealed) for a long time and finally decided to listen today. First off this is lovely music recorded in a church live in a not so typical way I'm finding out. If you read this little insert (which may have been lost if you bought this used) it utilizes something I've never seen before which is two off set front center channels/speakers 😲
I'm not willing to change my 5.1 set up in such a drastic way for just one title. I thought maybe I could run the channels through Audacity and maybe mix the two centers (which are listed as center and LFE) into the fronts or just mix the LFE into the center. But after viewing the wave forms in Audacity it has such an ambient (read - natural hall realism) I'm not sure it would make much difference, but it sounds beautiful none the less. And it's really difficult telling which channel is which.

CM-EVERYTHING FOR LOVE.jpg
CM-EVERYTHING FOR LOVE-i-1.jpg

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I've had this Chesky DVD-A sitting around (still sealed) for a long time and finally decided to listen today. First off this is lovely music recorded in a church live in a not so typical way I'm finding out. If you read this little insert (which may have been lost if you bought this used) it utilizes something I've never seen before which is two off set front center channels/speakers 😲
I'm not willing to change my 5.1 set up in such a drastic way for just one title. I thought maybe I could run the channels through Audacity and maybe mix the two centers (which are listed as center and LFE) into the fronts or just mix the LFE into the center. But after viewing the wave forms in Audacity it has such an ambient (read - natural hall realism) I'm not sure it would make much difference, but it sounds beautiful none the less. And it's really difficult telling which channel is which.

View attachment 44447
View attachment 44448
good job it is an ambient/hall mix, otherwise it might be a messy listen with all the freaky channel mapping.. early days in 5.1 DVD-A i guess standards hadn't been fully established or at least agreed to by some?

it doesn't look like there's 2 Centre channels or even 1 Centre channel but rather that there's no Centre channel?

its kinda unclear because the blurb under the "6.0 to 5.1 compatibility" heading at one point refers to Channels 5 & 6 as being the Centre & Subwoofer (usually they would be assigned to 3 & 4).. yet, according to the "channel assignments" section on the right hand side of the blurb it gives 3 & 4 (usually C & LFE) as the Rears and designates 5 & 6 (normally the Rears) as Side channels.

i'll pull this one out over the holidays and give it a going over, don't remember being knocked out by the surround on it at the time but we'll see.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
good job it is an ambient/hall mix, otherwise it might be a messy listen with all the freaky channel mapping.. early days in 5.1 DVD-A i guess standards hadn't been fully established or at least agreed to by some?

it doesn't look like there's 2 Centre channels or even 1 Centre channel but rather that there's no Centre channel?

its kinda unclear because the blurb under the "6.0 to 5.1 compatibility" heading at one point refers to Channels 5 & 6 as being the Centre & Subwoofer (usually they would be assigned to 3 & 4).. yet, according to the "channel assignments" section on the right hand side of the blurb it gives 3 & 4 (usually C & LFE) as the Rears and designates 5 & 6 (normally the Rears) as Side channels.

i'll pull this one out over the holidays and give it a going over, don't remember being knocked out by the surround on it at the time but we'll see.
I found that none of the Chesky recordings whether DVD~A nor SACD have discrete surrounds but as they're encoded at a very low level, bumping up the volume enables them to BLOOM. They really are 'audiophile' recordings!

This recording by Jen Chapin of Stevie Wonder songs will REALLY tax your sound system:

Last edited:

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I found that none of the Chesky recordings whether DVD~A nor SACD have discrete surrounds but as they're encoded at a very low level, bumping up the volume enables them to BLOOM. They really are 'audiophile' recordings!

This recording by Jen Chapin of Stevie Wonder songs will REALLY tax your sound system:

And some of these like the SARA K. (in stereo) decode beautifully in the Surround Master. I seem to remember seeing either on the liner notes of one of these or on line somewhere that the Chesky's use some specific mics to record with (probably pricey?) but I've thought of investigating what type of sound field pattern their mics capture that creates such a great decode. Just think that could be an interesting avenue of discovery in the surround decoding aspect.