Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Thompson - Live From Austin TX; DVD-V DTS 5.1
I only have a handful of these Live From Austin TX releases, but they're all superlative on both performance and audio fronts, and this one's no exception. If you can appreciate great musicianship and superlative guitar work, this needs to be in your collection. Not super discrete, but great sounding nonetheless.

So much studio work was done by "The wrecking crew" back in those days. You wonder how much of the instrumentation was actually done by the band.

And if one recalls at the time PET SOUNDS was conceived, their label Capitol Records didn't know how to 'market' it.....expecting instead breezy Surf music which the BBs had been famous for.

Rilly Groovy!

1576374308049.png
Groove Armada Vertigo

Wow! So glad I found this one!! Amazing!!!

Last edited:
And if one recalls at the time PET SOUNDS was conceived, their label Capitol Records didn't know how to 'market' it.....expecting instead breezy Surf music which the BBs had been famous for.
Pet Sounds is an artistic masterpiece. It's best left as mono, though. The hi-res 5.1 reveals limitations of the source, to put it nicely...

Always wondered how the heck they come up with the name for a song GREEN ONIONS....so....WIKI says:

According to Steve Cropper, the name is not a marijuana reference; rather, the track is named after the Green Badger's cat, Green Onions, whose way of walking inspired the riff. Songfacts.com, however, ascribes the track's title to Booker T. Jones. When asked by Jim Stewart what he'd named his track, Songfacts reports, Jones replied "Green Onions." "'Why "Green Onions"?' Jim asked. Booker T: 'Because that is the nastiest thing I can think of and it's something you throw away.'"

On a Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! broadcast on June 24, 2013, host Peter Sagal asked Booker T. why his song was called, "Green Onions". Booker T. said, "The bass player thought it was so funky, he wanted to call it, 'Funky Onions', but they thought that was too low-class, so we used 'Green Onions' instead."
Green onions - He tears it up on this version.

Attachments

• R-4317528-1361584137-9671.jpeg.jpg
    R-4317528-1361584137-9671.jpeg.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 68
Pet Sounds is an artistic masterpiece. It's best left as mono, though. The hi-res 5.1 reveals limitations of the source, to put it nicely...

in addition to limitations of the original recording, i think the surround mix itself may be part of the problem with the 5.1?
its been a while since i fiddled about with it and i didn't get too far before something else came along to distract me instead but when i started digging into things it didn't look all that pretty, there was full range content in the LFE, what looked to be channel balance anomalies, potentially wrongly assigned channels and so forth.. i may revisit the 5.1 someday because it is as you say a masterpiece.

in addition to limitations of the original recording, i think the surround mix itself may be part of the problem with the 5.1?
its been a while since i fiddled about with it and i didn't get too far before something else came along to distract me instead but when i started digging into things it didn't look all that pretty, there was full range content in the LFE, what looked to be channel balance anomalies, potentially wrongly assigned channels and so forth.. i may revisit the 5.1 someday because it is as you say a masterpiece.
I'd love some more analysis!

Back