Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nine Lives - Robert Plant

DVD of pop videos in a hardback book shaped box thing, where the box isn't a book. hold on though, there is a paperback book in a slip/pocket, a book that's so cool for school it doesn't give you any info on things like who did the 5.1 on the DVD (which is understandable, who would put their name to it, more on that in a minute).

thoughtfully, the designers of the package thought to make the faux book 'pages' loads of those stupid cardboard slip pockets to keep the CDs in (you know, the one's that scratch the discs so you don't have to!). grr!

anyway, packaging gripes out of the way, "how's the 5.1, Fred?" I hear all 3 of you who are interested ask!

well, in a nutshell, I would say do not buy this for the 5.1 on the DVD alone as i did, you will be disappointed.
it's basically double stereo, with more prominent reverb of stuff like vocals, drums and keys in the rears.

there may (or may not) be the odd handclap/cymbal crash pop up in the rears or seem to be skewed there but it'll also appear in every other channel at the same time. backing vocals and keys/synths are particularly put to poor surround use by being everywhere (and lead vocals all around, i accept that's instant mix dismissal territory to some at QQ) in fact, even though i haven't put the individual tracks through the computer yet to scrutinise them i'll stick my neck out and say 'i'll be a monkey's uncle' if there's anything truly discrete and distinct going on in the rears at all. if so, worra lorra shit. ugh.

The Doors - The Singles Blu-ray

The Doors - The Singles Blu-ray.jpg

Yes "Tales From Topographic Oceans" DVD-A Disc 1, 5.1 MLP 96k 24b: Have some quality listening time again and no music bouncing around in my mind so I went to the QQ Hi-Rez Poll Chart and this jumped out at me. Almost forgot, listening to the 2016 SW mix(y)

Last edited:
Gavin Harrison "Cheating the Polygraph" DTS 5.1 48k: Sometimes I'll spin this when I get home from work but not have time for the sweet spot, not so today. Seem to remember an interview with Steven Wilson where he says he doesn't recognize the music but likes it.

Thank for the heads~up, Frogmort....Ordered the Like NEW copy w/free first class shipping. Read the QQ blog from 2007 and Jon Urban did give the 5.1 mix his ultimate seal of approval. Enuf for me. I don't expect much from the videos even though my OPPO 205 through UPSAMPLING and LG OLED TV will probably improve the visuals, somewhat, but for $8 per disc, to hear early Macca in discrete surround is cause for celebration!

Last edited:
Thank for the heads~up, Frogmort....Ordered the Like NEW copy w/free first class shipping.
I will say that it seems just a bit loud or 'hot' overall, but it doesn't seem to be very compressed or fatiguing at all. I just turned the bass up a couple of notches and the main volume down a couple of notches and it sounds great! Really good to practically amazing surround mix throughout though.

Back