Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree more. Such a good album to chill to. And the surround mix is tastefully done.

I have quite a few of the Stockfisch SACDs and they're all tastefully done.........Love Sara K ..... also represented on the Chesky label, as well.

2403rev1.jpg

logo_sacd.png

And then there's the fabulous Rebecca Pidgeon:

• 900.jpg

Rebecca Pidgeon: Retrospective
    Chesky SACD242
  • 130.jpg

Rebecca Pidgeon: The Raven
    Chesky SACD205
  • 4595.jpg

Last edited:
SOOOOO many albums would benefit from a similar adjustment, such as Sgt Pepper's and Beyoncé's Visual Album. When I get home I'll look at setting a "scene" or whatever my Denon x6400H will allow.
I'd love to have the quick option to drop the fronts by 3db.

That's a nice selection for a receiver...I've been looking at it myself...my only problem is I don't want that much power....but it's a trade off to get that many features...a ton of flexibility...but you are making the smart decision to get a 2017 model...it's always wise to have a model year pass to get valuable input on that model...and of course you get the price drop too..

I have quite a few of the Stockfisch SACDs and they're all tastefully done.........Love Sara K ..... also represented on the Chesky label, as well.

And then there's the fabulous Rebecca Pidgeon:

• 900.jpg

Rebecca Pidgeon: Retrospective
    Chesky SACD242
  • 130.jpg

Chesky SACD205
  • 4595.jpg

Rebecca Pidgeon is fabulous indeed. I am going to make sure I listen to her today.

You sure have quite the organ collection.

As you can see from the organ website you mentioned before, most organ recordings are 2-ch stereo. I wish they could all be Hirez surround. Fortunately, we do have a respectable amount of good MC recordings on SACD, etc...

Now listening to...

Northern German Organ Baroque Vol. 09 (SACD CPO)

Hieronymus Praetorius (1560-1629)
Magnificat primi toni - octavi toni
Wenn mein Stundlein vorhanden ist
Lucis Creator optime
Veni Creator spiritus
Veni Redemptor Gentium
Christ, unser Herr, zum Jordan kom
Kyrie summum
Gloria in excelsis Deo
Sanctus summum
Sequentiae: Sancti Spiritus adsit nobis gratia
In exitu Israel de Aegypto
Magnificat germanice

Friedhelm Flamme (organ in St. Stephen’s Church in Tangermünde)

The Sara K. POW disc prices are astronomical, how did I miss that one? I have the HOHW and MITS SACD's and enjoy them both. How does Play on Words sound?

If you're familiar with the 'Chesky Surround Sound' usually ambience only in the rears but a stunning presentation nonetheless. Chesky always applied minimalist miking to all their recording projects.

now listening to Michell Guzmán - Redshift. Great stuff if you like this kind of music (Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze etc. come to mind). Really exceellent, and a very good surround mix. This is again something I'd never heard about, were I not following this forum... So, thank you all!

Newly arrived in the post this morning: IQ – Ever 25th anniversary collector’s edition 5.1 Dolby Digital DVDV
I never took much notice of this band but when I heard that this was being released I went and listened to a few tracks on You Tube and I thought “ I can live with this, I’ll order it”.
So it’s arrived in the post the 1st CD has been ripped and the DVDV is in the Oppo, I’m thinking “this sounds weird” I think the bass is a bit howly very DD like so I turn it down a bit, that’s better. Then the sound is very leftcentric but there is stuff from the rears then some keyboard sounds come from the right, to me it sounds very lefty on the next couple of tracks so I increase the right level, maybe it's just me, I'll wait for other reviews, there are drums and other sounds that pan left to right across the front speakers. I enjoy this music I’ve never heard before, why I’ve not discovered them before I don’t know.

Not much to see onscreen, nothing changes as the tracks do, you just see the same thing.

Bach: Harpsichord Concertos Vol. 3 (SACD Aeolus)

J.S. Bach: Double Harpsichord Concertos BWV 1060-1062
W.F. Bach: Double Harpsichord Concerto in F major, Fk 10

Pierre Hantaï & Aapo Häkkinen (harpsichords)
Helsinki Baroque Orchestra

In preparation for Allow Yourself, a bit of something completely different: Everlasting Gloria! by Gloria Estefan. Another missed opportunity, it's a DVD with a shy surround mix on Dolby Digital. The kind of mix that forces you to move your ears close to the surrounds to hear if anything is in there. Sometimes it sounds like double stereo, some other there are some backing voices, but kind of mixed too low.
Sound quality is not that bad considering the Dolby.
Only for Gloria's fans, I'd say.
Edit: activated the Auro upmixer and now in 5.1.4 is much more fun! Turn the beat around!

Last edited:
In preparation for Allow Yourself, a bit of something completely different: Everlasting Gloria! by Gloria Estefan. Another missed opportunity, it's a DVD with a shy surround mix on Dolby Digital. The kind of mix that forces you to move your ears close to the surrounds to hear if anything is in there. Sometimes it sounds like double stereo, some other there are some backing voices, but kind of mixed too low.
Sound quality is not that bad considering the Dolby.
Only for Gloria's fans, I'd say.
Edit: activated the Auro upmixer and now in 5.1.4 is much more fun! Turn the beat around!!

Like the lady said, :SB :SB :SB

Haven't heard her music in a while. Brings back a lot of good memories!

Like the lady said, :SB:SB:SB

Haven't heard her music in a while. Brings back a lot of good memories!
I must admit that, while my wife loves her, I'm not a hardcore fan. We went together to one of her concerts in Madrid and after 2 hours and a half a just wanted to go home. She finished the gig after 3.5 hours and I swore that I was never ever going to listen to her again. You see, I'm weak

Back