Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the exact same mix that came in the much smaller deluxe sets or book set?

I don't think the 2112 SDE even includes a 5.1 mix. The only surround version is the 5.1 mix by Richard Chycki included in the standalone CD/DVD-A and CD/Blu-Ray editions.

as i alluded to in my little play on words to "Michelle" in the Poll thread, that Michel Legrand Twenty Songs Quad was originally released on the Bell label (in the States and Japan) in SQ LP form only with no Quad tape option and only in limited numbers since afaik the label as it was went tits up not long after it came out.. while its easy listening and patently not Aerosmith, Santana etc., I think there were other factors going against it more than the content because we know that style of stuff sold well back in the day and maybe its scarcity as a Quad release is why it wasn't better appreciated by Quaddies in the 70's and more fondly remembered in the years hence and so hasn't garnered as much attention at QQ now as maybe it should..!?

ah i dunno.. all's i know is we have it now in all its multichannel master tape glory! its great, innit! :51QQ

Never had that Quad album back in the day....freddums.

But I do have the stereo edition and it's kinda weird that it credits Don Young with the quad mix as I'm sure it does on the quad version.
I don't know of any stereo albums that do that , although there must be a few.

I don't think the 2112 SDE even includes a 5.1 mix. The only surround version is the 5.1 mix by Richard Chycki included in the standalone CD/DVD-A and CD/Blu-Ray editions.

this is correct, the 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition (with new artwork) DVD has live performances and not the album in 5.1.

afaik the 5.1 mix of the album was released in 3 configurations; CD+DVD-Audio Deluxe Edition digipak, CD+Blu-ray Deluxe Edition digipak; CD+Blu-ray Deluxe Edition in book packaging.

I stand corrected....you are correct. But as a Super Deluxe Edition how would you rate it? Is it worth $85 New Sealed

Never had that Quad album back in the day....freddums.

But I do have the stereo edition and it's kinda weird that it credits Don Young with the quad mix as I'm sure it does on the quad version.
I don't know of any stereo albums that do that , although there must be a few.

the Quad pressing was rare at the time wasn't it fizzy?

hmm.. how curious! :unsure:
maybe there is only one mix and the Stereo LP is unmarked SQ!

that Michel Legrand Twenty Songs Quad was originally released on the Bell label (in the States and Japan) in SQ LP form only with no Quad tape option and only in limited numbers since afaik the label as it was went tits up not long after it came out..

A quad reel version was planned and aborted according to Mark Anderson's unreleased quad discography. The 2-SQ LP set is indeed pretty rare, took me a while to locate a copy. I would also guess that the extravagant packaging (it's in a box with a cover, rather than a double gatefold for whatever reason) and just the fact that it's a 2-LP set were points against further pressings/distribution as well. It even has a custom label, proclaiming "Bell Quad" rather than just Bell.

It's a real hidden gem and wonderful release from D-V.

as i alluded to in my little play on words to "Michelle" in the Poll thread, that Michel Legrand Twenty Songs Quad was originally released on the Bell label (in the States and Japan) in SQ LP form only with no Quad tape option and only in limited numbers since afaik the label as it was went tits up not long after it came out.. while its easy listening and patently not Aerosmith, Santana etc., I think there were other factors going against it more than the content because we know that style of stuff sold well back in the day and maybe its scarcity as a Quad release is why it wasn't better appreciated by Quaddies in the 70's and more fondly remembered in the years hence and so hasn't garnered as much attention at QQ now as maybe it should..!?

ah i dunno.. all's i know is we have it now in all its multichannel master tape glory! its great, innit! :51QQ

A quad reel version was planned and aborted according to Mark Anderson's unreleased quad discography. The 2-SQ LP set is indeed pretty rare, took me a while to locate a copy. I would also guess that the extravagant packaging (it's in a box with a cover, rather than a double gatefold) and just the fact that it's a 2-LP set were points against further pressings/distribution as well.

It's a real hidden gem and wonderful release from D-V.

reel-y interesting information as always, thanks sjc! :love:

was it Bell's only Quad release?
i have a vague recollection of seeing a Legrand Live Quad LP one time, maybe also on the label?

was it Bell's only Quad release?
i have a vague recollection of seeing a Legrand Live Quad LP one time, maybe also on the label?

Looks that way. The Surround Discography also notes a planned Q8 release, likely a 2-tape set or a single tape omitting some tracks. Apparently a CBS/Sony Japanese SQ pressing exists as well- Bell BLPW-1/2. I'd love to see pics of that.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 4.45.46 PM.png

Here's that cool custom label:
michel-legrand-lp-quadraphonic-box_1_221c36705757108a4fbc1eb72a299275.jpg

Anyone here own the Layla Super Deluxe Box set from Japan? Can you compare it to the German Import Edition as far as sound quality goes? I’d appreciate it greatly. Yes I know the Japanese Edition is SHM but sometimes that could be good or bad depends on the title😀. Thanks

GnR- "Rocket Queen" (AfD Blu-Ray)

Always loved the guitar interplay in the song. While Elliot's mix is pretty sweet (drums/bass/vocals/lead guitars up front, "phasey" guitar overdubs/doubled vocals/breakdown vocal effects (ahem) in rears), I think it would be so cool to hear this song in a "Columbia Q8" or Raw Studio-type mix. Think something like drums/bass/vocals up front, then Slash in one rear speaker and Izzy in the other.

I hope including an alternate super discrete/aggressive "Raw Studio Mix" becomes a trend in these big boxes, but I won't hold my breath.

Now, if Rhino/Warner would release Aretha's LIVE AT FILLMORE WEST in 4.0? Whoppee!

I have that CD, I try to buy all the live in San Francisco discs, just cuz my home town. Chuck Berry Live at the Fillmore with The Steve Miller Band as his backing band is fun, a little muddy sound wise but still good.

Back