Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perry Como - In Person at The International Hotel (D-V Quad SACD) - Killer discrete surround mix and excellent fidelity... I'm not a huge fan of live albums, but this sounds fantastic. This is great rainy morning music :)

You know, I havn't purchased any music since Christmas... I think it's time to purchase some obscure surround titles from Dutton Vocalion...

Since you "kinda of" brought this subject up....I've just been "bored" to death...why....because after that flurry of releases in November and December it's like "cold turkey" now...no significant releases....the only think that has saved me is buying a new AVR triggered other purchases and revamping my system and shopping for speaker stands and speakers and speaker wire....

But even that activity pales in comparison to the energy generated by new releases...and all those iconic albums at almost the same time was epic....looking back a few months....this might have been my second greatest period in this hobby...#1 is when I first purchased hi rez titles...because I started late... there were so many titles to buy...just to get started...so the withdraw symptoms linger on for me..I need something "major"...like the Doobie set... to bring me back...bring the EXCITEMENT back...

Since you "kinda of" brought this subject up....I've just been "bored" to death...why....because after that flurry of releases in November and December it's like "cold turkey" now...no significant releases....the only think that has saved me is buying a new AVR triggered other purchases and revamping my system and shopping for speaker stands and speakers and speaker wire....

But even that activity pales in comparison to the energy generated by new releases...and all those iconic albums at almost the same time was epic....looking back a few months....this might have been my second greatest period in this hobby...#1 is when I first purchased hi rez titles...because I started late... there were so many titles to buy...just to get started...so the withdraw symptoms linger on for me..I need something "major"...like the Doobie set... to bring me back...bring the EXCITEMENT back...

I hear you man. I'm the same way......I finally broke down a week ago and ordered 4 Vocalion titles I wanted from recent releases. I used some money I had in Paypal...... :)

I hear you man. I'm the same way......I finally broke down a week ago and ordered 4 Vocalion titles I wanted from recent releases. I used some money I had in Paypal...... :)

Yup, just got an opera SACD, rare for me; I’m a rocker at heart! Tap, Tap, Tap- I don’t look nervous or anything, do I?

Ayreon
Into the Electric Castle

Replacement disc hammering my speakers to the max!!
The complete set of three releases is fantastic ..imo
This one just rounds it all off to a fitting finale.:rocks

Although I wish there was more to come...!!!(y)

I think there is, he has his own studio now (with surround capabilities) and he is a fan of surround sound. Next one is Universal Migrator from 2000 so hopefully next year? I will remind him of its 20th anniversary :p

desert2.jpg

One of my absolute faves, and one of the first Q8s I ever got (found it along with several others in an antique store in Cold Spring, NY). Was several years before I had decent equipment or knew how to repair and convert 8-tracks.

I love the mix they did on "Evil Ways" with the different vocals sort of surrounding you and the organ solo in the left rear speaker. There's also a great effect in the opening track, "Waiting", where the cymbal crashes rotate around the room.

Awaken - Self Titled; DVD-A 5.1
Haven't heard much about this title here or anywhere else for that matter. I'm not normally into hip-hop, rap, or drums and bass, but this 12 song collection by various DJs/rappers contains some pretty cool and, at times, atmospheric surround experiences.

They're not all sonic extravaganzas, but the ones that work, work well by coupling excellent fidelity with a massive low end and feature active and discrete surround engagement:
Futuristic Island by APL​
Observation Link 213 by Xilent Xage​
Time Bomb by Rabbit In The Moon​
Contemplation by Josh One​
Energy by DJMotive8​
Revenge Of The Nerd by Relm​
Antarctica by Mount Cyanide​

Genesis
Abacab

Gotta have a bit of the threesome on this misty morning here in the UK...now where are those hieroglyphs...🤤

Discogs Info:
https://www.discogs.com/Genesis-Abacab/release/2662543
OOH 😮 look at the new Discogs heading, that's very handy 👍

This new, improved, version of the forum is really cool 😎

Last edited:
Back