Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More "essay writing" background music this morning

1575554989696.png
Spyro Gyra Original Cinema

hmm, prolly should have saved this one for the Global Cinema paper I have to write this weekend!

Just finished placing an order for next years seed potatoes....I've doubled the amount, as I'm going to be away more next summer and they don't need watering as much as other veg....more music festivals to attend!!

Just open up your fields for a SPUDSTOCK 2020🥔 and bring the festivals to you! I'll bring Adam, the dowager QUAD⚜King, as my date!:SG

See the source image
GIVE ME AN "F"

Last edited:
I've had this Chesky DVD-A sitting around (still sealed) for a long time and finally decided to listen today. First off this is lovely music recorded in a church live in a not so typical way I'm finding out. If you read this little insert (which may have been lost if you bought this used) it utilizes something I've never seen before which is two off set front center channels/speakers 😲
I'm not willing to change my 5.1 set up in such a drastic way for just one title. I thought maybe I could run the channels through Audacity and maybe mix the two centers (which are listed as center and LFE) into the fronts or just mix the LFE into the center. But after viewing the wave forms in Audacity it has such an ambient (read - natural hall realism) I'm not sure it would make much difference, but it sounds beautiful none the less. And it's really difficult telling which channel is which.

CM-EVERYTHING FOR LOVE.jpg
CM-EVERYTHING FOR LOVE-i-1.jpg

I've had this Chesky DVD-A sitting around (still sealed) for a long time and finally decided to listen today. First off this is lovely music recorded in a church live in a not so typical way I'm finding out. If you read this little insert (which may have been lost if you bought this used) it utilizes something I've never seen before which is two off set front center channels/speakers 😲
I'm not willing to change my 5.1 set up in such a drastic way for just one title. I thought maybe I could run the channels through Audacity and maybe mix the two centers (which are listed as center and LFE) into the fronts or just mix the LFE into the center. But after viewing the wave forms in Audacity it has such an ambient (read - natural hall realism) I'm not sure it would make much difference, but it sounds beautiful none the less. And it's really difficult telling which channel is which.

View attachment 44447
View attachment 44448

good job it is an ambient/hall mix, otherwise it might be a messy listen with all the freaky channel mapping.. early days in 5.1 DVD-A i guess standards hadn't been fully established or at least agreed to by some?

it doesn't look like there's 2 Centre channels or even 1 Centre channel but rather that there's no Centre channel?

its kinda unclear because the blurb under the "6.0 to 5.1 compatibility" heading at one point refers to Channels 5 & 6 as being the Centre & Subwoofer (usually they would be assigned to 3 & 4).. yet, according to the "channel assignments" section on the right hand side of the blurb it gives 3 & 4 (usually C & LFE) as the Rears and designates 5 & 6 (normally the Rears) as Side channels.

i'll pull this one out over the holidays and give it a going over, don't remember being knocked out by the surround on it at the time but we'll see.

good job it is an ambient/hall mix, otherwise it might be a messy listen with all the freaky channel mapping.. early days in 5.1 DVD-A i guess standards hadn't been fully established or at least agreed to by some?

it doesn't look like there's 2 Centre channels or even 1 Centre channel but rather that there's no Centre channel?

its kinda unclear because the blurb under the "6.0 to 5.1 compatibility" heading at one point refers to Channels 5 & 6 as being the Centre & Subwoofer (usually they would be assigned to 3 & 4).. yet, according to the "channel assignments" section on the right hand side of the blurb it gives 3 & 4 (usually C & LFE) as the Rears and designates 5 & 6 (normally the Rears) as Side channels.

i'll pull this one out over the holidays and give it a going over, don't remember being knocked out by the surround on it at the time but we'll see.

I found that none of the Chesky recordings whether DVD~A nor SACD have discrete surrounds but as they're encoded at a very low level, bumping up the volume enables them to BLOOM. They really are 'audiophile' recordings!

This recording by Jen Chapin of Stevie Wonder songs will REALLY tax your sound system:

https://www.discogs.com/Jen-Chapin-Revisions-Songs-Of-Stevie-Wonder/release/3760806

Last edited:
I found that none of the Chesky recordings whether DVD~A nor SACD have discrete surrounds but as they're encoded at a very low level, bumping up the volume enables them to BLOOM. They really are 'audiophile' recordings!

This recording by Jen Chapin of Stevie Wonder songs will REALLY tax your sound system:

https://www.discogs.com/Jen-Chapin-Revisions-Songs-Of-Stevie-Wonder/release/3760806
And some of these like the SARA K. (in stereo) decode beautifully in the Surround Master. I seem to remember seeing either on the liner notes of one of these or on line somewhere that the Chesky's use some specific mics to record with (probably pricey?) but I've thought of investigating what type of sound field pattern their mics capture that creates such a great decode. Just think that could be an interesting avenue of discovery in the surround decoding aspect.

New Be Bop release arrived today, form Burning Shed.
Modern Music

Never heard it before so will give it a few listens before giving my opinion on the mix and clarity.
Although first play through is producing a similar mix to the other Be Bop releases.
Nothing disastrous but not overly adventurous either.

I am enjoying watching the band on the Old Grey Whistle Test with whispering Bob Harris.
Always a date to watch that show whenever I could
Ordered mine from Cherry Red and there's nothing, no notification or anything:(

well i'm very happy for you and Jen, Ralphie and i hope you have many wonderful ambient times together but it won't be taxing my system, i've no more houseroom for ambient surround music mixes.. its active & immersive surround only for me from now on or i'll just take the music in straight stereo and can upmix/process if i really feel the urge to hear it in some sort of surround sound.

Jen is a Chesky girl,
Ralph is a cheeky boy,
she is a cheeky girl,
you are a cheeky boy! (etc) 💃🏾🕺🏾👯‍♀️

And some of these like the SARA K. (in stereo) decode beautifully in the Surround Master. I seem to remember seeing either on the liner notes of one of these or on line somewhere that the Chesky's use some specific mics to record with (probably pricey?) but I've thought of investigating what type of sound field pattern their mics capture that creates such a great decode. Just think that could be an interesting avenue of discovery in the surround decoding aspect.

now that is a quite different scenario from the "ambient discrete" mixes like the Chesky 6-ch releases (it reads like an oxymoron maybe.. but its an accurate description!) and one which i'm onboard with where the SM, PLII etc can take binaural stuff and suchlike recorded with special microphones and present the music in pseudo surround with some fabulous results! i'm always up for more of that 🎉

Back