Listening to Vinyl

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Wow, I may have had a revelation. My new AVRX4400 has phono jacks...just like my previous AVRX4000 did. My Pro-ject turntable functioned just fine plugging into the phone jacks. On my 4400, the Pro-ject does not work with the phono jacks. No clue why......the sound is distorted...like when 2 bare speaker wires are touching.

So, plugged the RCA into aux 1 and everything sound fine. I honestly don't understand that...and it's a pain in the ass cause the aux 1 jacks are in the front of the AVR, not back.

In the meantime, I was listening to Tres Hombres vinyl and decided to try Pure Direct mode (which kills all the processing and doesn't utilize the sub.... etc) and holy shit....it sounded WAY better than going the Audyssey route and external sub.

Sound was way fuller, with incredible bass and warmth. The audyssey route (with sub) sounded thin in comparison.

So.....what up with that? I'm shocked...and confused. Confused why my phono jacks don't work as suspected...and why Pure Direct yields way better quality sound than Audyssey with sub....

If it sounds fine thru Aux input, it would indicate that a pre amp stage is upstream to make it line level. This config would overload the Phono input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a dope Tim. Please tell me what you mean in terms I can understand......why don't my phono jacks work for my TT?

Phono preamp stage is in your amplifier or receiver. It is expecting the raw output of the phono cartridge in it’s un-boosted form. If I use an outboard preamp, it accepts the same cartridge output and steps it up to line level output for amps and receivers that lack a Phono input. The phono input you have is different than all the other inputs which are line level. I’m not familiar with the turntable, but the symptoms fit the story, depending on how distorted it was. It’s a classic mismatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like one of these models:
So, 1) pre-amp has an On/Off switch OR 2) a line level input was used last time. This approach solves the issue of many amps/receivers of a certain vintage lack typical PHONO input.
tt.jpg

Can't even remember model. I believe it's called Carbon Debut. There is no on or off switch. I still don't understand why it worked just fine with my AVRX4000 phono jacks, but doesn't seem to with my AVRX4400 phono jacks. I haven't done anything differently....at least that I'm aware of.

Can't even remember model. I believe it's called Carbon Debut. There is no on or off switch. I still don't understand why it worked just fine with my AVRX4000 phono jacks, but doesn't seem to with my AVRX4400 phono jacks. I haven't done anything differently....at least that I'm aware of.

Well, there's no maybe or almost here, if it is as you originally described. Sounds like a classic overload. In other words, I'll have whatever you're having. :sneaky:

Or, is it possible that my memory is failing me...and I actually plugged the TT into some other input on the back and simply renamed it to phono?
And, I just tried it and that's exactly what I did. How did I figure it out? By using my Logitech universal remote and clicked "listen to vinyl" and it changed my AVR to DVD!! So, I guess on my previous AVR, I went through the same struggles, finally tried DVD jacks, renamed it phono and all was good.

Yes, it looks cool, and I like the look of two AVRs in the HiFi rack, heavy!

Is there something on fire in the hall?

Reactions: GOS
Back