Looking for my 1st Quad receiver.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpapp54321

I’ve built a pretty decent quad setup around a Yamaha AV receiver that has a 5.1 input in the back. So far I’ve got an Akai 1730D SS and an Akai CR-80D SS which covers the tape formats, and an Oppo DV-981HD which covers SACDs and DVD-As. But now I’m looking to enter the world of quadraphonic vinyl which would lead me to believe I’m gonna need a receiver.
I COULD just get decoders BUT my receiver right now only has one 5.1 input and I’ve got an elaborate setup of switch boxes and rat nests of wires that’s beginning to make my head spin. Finally getting a receiver with multiple 4.0 inputs would be a blessing.
After doing some research I’ve come to the conclusion that a sansui would be my best bet. But I’ve also fallen in love with the looks and features of the Akai AS series (AND my setup IS mostly Akai:p).
BUT what I’m getting at is I’m really just looking to get my first quadraphonic receiver. Preferably something that has support for both matrixes and CD-4. I don’t have a huge budget as I’m only 17 but I’m looking to spend up to $300 and maybe more If I know the unit’s gonna last a little while without dying on me.
I’m located in central Ohio, shoot me a PM if you’ve got something that’ll work.
-Thomas Pappas

I’ve built a pretty decent quad setup around a Yamaha AV receiver that has a 5.1 input in the back. So far I’ve got an Akai 1730D SS and an Akai CR-80D SS which covers the tape formats, and an Oppo DV-981HD which covers SACDs and DVD-As. But now I’m looking to enter the world of quadraphonic vinyl which would lead me to believe I’m gonna need a receiver.
I COULD just get decoders BUT my receiver right now only has one 5.1 input and I’ve got an elaborate setup of switch boxes and rat nests of wires that’s beginning to make my head spin. Finally getting a receiver with multiple 4.0 inputs would be a blessing.
After doing some research I’ve come to the conclusion that a sansui would be my best bet. But I’ve also fallen in love with the looks and features of the Akai AS series (AND my setup IS mostly Akai:p).
BUT what I’m getting at is I’m really just looking to get my first quadraphonic receiver. Preferably something that has support for both matrixes and CD-4. I don’t have a huge budget as I’m only 17 but I’m looking to spend up to $300 and maybe more If I know the unit’s gonna last a little while without dying on me.
I’m located in central Ohio, shoot me a PM if you’ve got something that’ll work.
-Thomas Pappas
If you have not read the link below it should help you decide.
Akai made great stuff but for going vintage its about the decoding ie: SQ, QS, CD-4 and synthing stereo to quad ( see link), the problem is you kinda have to go one way or the other when on a limited budget. Your Yamaha gives you the convenience of having a remote and has DOLBY PROLOGIC for synthing stereo to 5.1 but lacks the ability to do the other decodes you want to explore. Going modern means stand alone decoders and switching boxes. CD-4 is a difficult beast to get right and the gear is pricey. Most of what you want in vintage software has already been converted to DTS by the members here and can be had here on QQ at a free to reasonable cost. There is a link on the home page here at QQ to Tab Patterson's conversion list, http://www.4channelsound.com/. This is probably the budget friendly way to go.
If you go vintage you run into more problems like 50 plus year old quad receivers that may have issues and need repair. Generally it takes years to cobble together a vintage set up and can be a frustrating journey. Sansui made the most well rounded units and the 01's top the list.
Which ever way you chose we are here for you!!!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...t-kind-of-legacy-quad-gear-should-i-get.9824/

Okay so here’s some possibilities as of now.

Pioneer 8000A for $100
(Seller says used to be his go to receiver and worked last time before it was replaced and put in storage 7 months ago)

Sansui QRX 3000 $200
(From a record store, comes with 30 day warranty)

Sanyo DCX-3500K $200
(Really nice condition but untested past all lights lighting up.)

Fisher 304 around $250
(Off eBay, is untested)

Ideally I’d want a Sansui 7001 but they seem quite rare...

You might want to look at Sony's SQR 6650, SQR 6750 (mine) or the SQR 8750. You will need a CD 4 demodulator to go with it such as the JVC 4DD-5.

Well, I can’t realy believe it. But a lot if searching and a lot of luck led me to a Sansui QRX 7001. My dream receiver. It’s gonna need some servicing but I’m willing to take on a recap and rebuild. Only the 3rd owner though and it came with its manual! Really couldn’t be more excited!
:51QQ

6CC7F114-E1AC-46C7-98C1-FFDEA5499F41.jpeg

:dance

Looks like a nice one! You might want to try the headphone outs of this Sansui into the Yamaha's 5.1 inputs with volume on Sansui about a quarter or a third of the way up. Could also bypass some cap issues, plus you'd gain the remote volume from the Yamaha.

Awesome find, Congrats... I have a QRX6001 and just upgraded to a QRX8001 that has had a complete restoration from QRXrestore.com. Gets delivered Friday...

Back