Looking forward to 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless they can get it released before October 10th 2019 that is!

Burningshed said in response on Twitter today that Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing will be coming out on CD through KScope this year. No word on them but I wouldn't doubt that the new 5.1 "anti-loudness war" mixes will be included with those releases too. On the SW front elsewhere, other than the new EP I hope we can see a new Insurgentes set including a 5.1 mix from the 2016 remix.

I have all fingers and toes crossed for APP "Pyramid" and XTC "Apple Venus" too. My favourite albums from both bands, and the surround potential of both makes me drool. 'In The Lap Of The Gods'....'River of Orchids'..... (and that's just the start!) :mad:@:

I have all fingers and toes crossed for APP "Pyramid" and XTC "Apple Venus" too. My favourite albums from both bands, and the surround potential of both makes me drool. 'In The Lap Of The Gods'....'River of Orchids'..... (and that's just the start!) :mad:@:

"Pyramid" is not my favorite Alan Parsons Project album (I prefer albums like "I Robot" and "Turn of a Friendly Card") but I do love it all the same, so if that's the 5.1 release we get from the Project next year, that is fine by me!

I like "Apple Venus" too, but I would much prefer to get any of the three remaining 80s albums from XTC instead. Guess we'll have to see how the tape situation shakes out this coming year!

:)

There's also the tantalizing possibility we may get some Renaissance in 5.1 as Esoteric have obtained rights to those. I think their albums would really open up in surround...

R E

I hope that any future SW multi-channel remixes are made available as single disc editions in addition to the full blown, multiple disc $100+ versions like Sergeant Peppers and A Farewell to Kings.

Unless they can get it released before October 10th 2019 that is!

Burningshed said in response on Twitter today that Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Deadwing will be coming out on CD through KScope this year. No word on them but I wouldn't doubt that the new 5.1 "anti-loudness war" mixes will be included with those releases too. On the SW front elsewhere, other than the new EP I hope we can see a new Insurgentes set including a 5.1 mix from the 2016 remix.

Today on Burning Shed twitter,

Shawn Dudley‏
@ShawnDudley70

In all fairness, Steven Wilson announced a deluxe edition of In Absentia years ago that would include the Futile EP and the other various demo recordings but it didn’t come to pass because of rights issues. Now it should be possible.

Burning Shed‏
@burningshednews

Als antwoord op @ShawnDudley70
I'm just joking. All the good stuff is coming next year, don't worry.
16:05 - 8 dec. 2017

https://twitter.com/ShawnDudley70/status/939284329762394112

I hope that any future SW multi-channel remixes are made available as single disc editions in addition to the full blown, multiple disc $100+ versions like Sergeant Peppers and A Farewell to Kings.

Those kinds of decisions are almost always down to the record label and artist, but thankfully, most all of Steven Wilson's remixes are available in very affordable packages ("A Farewell to Kings" being the only current exception)

I expect Jethro Tull & Marillion to continue with the multi-disc (but still very affordable) hardback book sets while I expect XTC & Gentle Giant to continue with the inexpensive CD/Blu-Ray sets.

The wild cards will be Tears for Fears ("The Seeds of Love") as well any potential future reissues from both RUSH and Roxy Music, not to mention any other artists that Steven Wilson starts remixing next year.

The main issue I see going forward is that the major labels appear to have abandoned the pure audio single Blu-ray Disc releases... :(

There's also the tantalizing possibility we may get some Renaissance in 5.1 as Esoteric have obtained rights to those. I think their albums would really open up in surround...

R E

I'm hoping for Camel surround mixes, I know that Steven Wilson has said he'd like to do them and he did meet with Andy Latimer a while back.

I'm hoping for Camel surround mixes, I know that Steven Wilson has said he'd like to do them and he did meet with Andy Latimer a while back.

Even though the band and record label missed an opportunity two years ago, the band are touring this year and performing "Moonmadness" in full at all the shows this year, so it would definitely be a nice tie-in for a Steven Wilson 5.1 surround mix of the album to be released!

:)

Those kinds of decisions are almost always down to the record label and artist, but thankfully, most all of Steven Wilson's remixes are available in very affordable packages ("A Farewell to Kings" being the only current exception)

I expect Jethro Tull & Marillion to continue with the multi-disc (but still very affordable) hardback book sets while I expect XTC & Gentle Giant to continue with the inexpensive CD/Blu-Ray sets.

The wild cards will be Tears for Fears ("The Seeds of Love") as well any potential future reissues from both RUSH and Roxy Music, not to mention any other artists that Steven Wilson starts remixing next year.

The main issue I see going forward is that the major labels appear to have abandoned the pure audio single Blu-ray Disc releases... :(

It's sad that these companies need an excuse(anniversary dates or tours)to release music...as the content just sits in these vaults begging to be released...I mean sitting on a Steven Wilson mix for 5 years...it is a strange way to run a business...maybe these people in the decision making roles at record companies should consider the age of their potential customers...a LOT of the fans aren't going to be on this earth much longer...so how wise is it to just sit on this material...the tapes aren't the only thing that deteriorates...we do also:)

I would love some main stream rock titles. There is just SO much Prog type stuff that I'm suffocating sometimes......I need some rock man. Old rock, 80's rock...I don't care. That Bryan Adams release was spectacular...I want more like that. :)

I would love some main stream rock titles. There is just SO much Prog type stuff that I'm suffocating sometimes......I need some rock man. Old rock, 80's rock...I don't care. That Bryan Adams release was spectacular...I want more like that. :)
I totally agree. I wish the classic and hard rock would equal the Prog rock. This year getting INXS, Kick, was my favorite treat. If RT’s possibilities come to be true I could just be happy with the White Album. If next year is less expensive than this year I would be OK with that also. I am thinking about going on great vacations rather than sitting and listening.

You are not alone...maybe if Steven Wilson was a rock fan... life might be different...to be candid... when I joined this forum... I had never even heard of a LOT of these prog bands...that is STILL the case...progressive music was a lot more popular in the UK than the US...and it's ironic that we are on a quad forum...and quad died in the 70's..as did the core of progressive music.......growing up in the US music scene and being accustomed to the "3 minute" radio pop song...these groups didn't fit in the radio "mode" and you could only really enjoy them on albums...that's why to this day I struggle with "most" of the concept albums that are so prevalent in prog music....I could enjoy some YES...Jethro Tull and ELP because they had "pop"songs...but their more progressive "layered" songs just never appealed to me...when someone mentions Jethro Tull...I think of singles like Living In The Past...Bungle In The Jungle and Locomotive Breath...

I have found some gems by trying many of the Steven Wilson progressive surround masterpieces...but like you...I crave the ROCK titles...BRING THEM ON:bounce17

Really looking forward to the Analogue Productions release of Are You Experienced? and Axis Bold As Love on hybrid mono/stereo SACDs along with AP's Wish You Were Here stereo/multi-channel SACD. I wish the Hendrix's were multi-channel, but I'll take high resolution stereo of both of those masterpieces and I missed the 2011 release of WYWH on SACD, so I definitely don't plan on missing it this go round!!!

Beatles-White Album is on my radar for 18.

And it would be WAY COOL if Esoteric took the AF and DV quad/5.1 dip.

Would like to see some more Hawkwind from Atomhenge/Esoteric , but of course realistically I'm hopeful for more prog rockers in surround from the 70's or even late 60's of which they have plenty of selections and stellar artistes.

Dream on. :D

I totally agree. I wish the classic and hard rock would equal the Prog rock. This year getting INXS, Kick, was my favorite treat. If RT’s possibilities come to be true I could just be happy with the White Album. If next year is less expensive than this year I would be OK with that also. I am thinking about going on great vacations rather than sitting and listening.
I think you will be taking less vacations in 2018. I am of the belief that like it or not Sargent Pepper opened the floodgates. That plus the proliferation of Atmos all means a great upcoming year. Just my 2 cents.

Back