Looking forward to 2018!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All it takes is a Doobies box, and a nice 2-fer or two from D/V to make everything seem swell in 2018.

I'm really praying that D/V blows me away with the next quadraphonic installment. Art was good and fine....

I still want Scheiner's already completed 5.1 mix of Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic, and Greg Penny's already completed 5.1 mix of Elton John's Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player. I realize that I'm bloody unlikely to hear either of these mixes in 2018 or any other year, for that matter, and I'm saddened by it.

New DSD releases this week include 2 new DSD Surround Sound albums from Pentatone.

Coming Soon - April 6 2018 - 50p.jpg

More DSD Coming Up This Friday at NativeDSD Music - April 6, 2018

This Friday, April 6, 2018, we are releasing a new Jazz DSD release from 2xhd Mastering - Resonance Records and 2 new PentaTone Classics DSD Releases!

Just Friends - Live at the Village Vanguard
Eddie Daniels, Roger Kellaway, Buster Williams, Al Foster
Genre: Jazz
2xHD-Resonance
Stereo DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64
https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1105-just-friends-live-at-the-village-vanguard

Bohuslav Martinu - Double Concertos
Mari Kodama & Momo Kodama - piano, Sarah Nemtanu, Deborah Nemtanu, Magali Demesse, Lawrence Foster, Orchestre Philharmonique de Marseille
Genre: Classical
Pentatone Classics
Stereo & DSD Multichannel DSD 64
https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/PTC5186658-martinu-double-concertos

Maurice Ravel and George Gershwin - Piano Concertos
Kazuki Yamada, Denis KOZHUKHIN, Orch Osr Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
Genre: Classical
Pentatone Classics
Stereo & DSD Multichannel DSD 64
https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/albums/PTC5186620-ravel-gershwin-piano-concertos

https://www.facebook.com/NativeDsdM...580272955/1707743379284063/?type=3&permPage=1

Last edited:
Another DSD Surround Sound release this week from Pentatone.
Available on Friday from NativeDSD Music.

New DSD - April 20 2018.jpg

Stay tuned for 2 more DSD releases on Friday, April 20, 2018!

A Certain Slant of Light features musical settings of Emily Dickinson poems by four outstanding American composers: Aaron Copland, Gordon Getty, Jake Heggie and Michael Tilson Thomas performed by Lisa Delan (Soprano) with Lawrence Foster conducting the Orchestre Philharmonique de Marseille in DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel from Pentatone.

Then we have Really The Blues: Historic Recordings from 1945 and 1947 by Jazz Clarinet player Sydney Bechet from 2xHD-Storyville Records.

Some fine DSD to watch for this Friday at the NativeDSD Music store.

https://2xhdstoryville.nativedsd.com/
https://pentatone.nativedsd.com/

Since we're now over halfway through the year, I thought it might be a good time to take a look back at the good, bad, and even ugly from this year so far and also speculate a little more about what could be coming in the next 6 months.

The Good (So Far...):
-Dutton Vocalion are slaying it yet again with 9 Quadraphonic SACDs that contain a total of 16 Quadraphonic albums. I have yet to receive my Poco & Johnnie Taylor SACDs but I've thoroughly enjoyed the Art Garfunkel, Rick Derringer, Guess Who, and Hues Corporation SACDs. DV continue to be the best reissue company for Sony-owned Quadraphonic mixes, and I'm sure they will have at least a few more SACDs for the rest of the year too!
-My favorite releases of the year (so far) have once again been the fabulous 5.1 remixes from Steven Wilson. "Brave", "Heavy Horses", and (especially) "Roxy Music" continue to be played over and over again, and I can't wait to see what other remixes are lined up for later this year. (More on that later...)

The Not So Good (even bad & ugly...)
-"Fleetwood Mac": Great album and mix, but the DVD definitely suffers from subpar audio quality, no doubt as a result of the Dolby Digital encoding.
-I've also been a lot less impressed with "Barclay James Harvest" and Mansun's "Attack of the Grey Lantern". The latter record is particularly disappointing in 5.1, one of the least impressive mixes I have ever heard.

Finally, I have never been a big Guns N Roses fan, but people seem to like the new 5.1 surround mix, so even despite the expense, I would consider this release a win for those that like it.

Now, on to the future!
-I am very happy for all of you who will finally get to hear the great 5.1 surround mix of "Eye in the Sky" from the Alan Parsons Project when the single disc Blu-Ray is released. It's one of the best 5.1 surround mixes of 2017 and it's definitely worthy of the Surround Sound Grammy!
-Despite the expense, I'm also looking forward to both the Quadraphonic reissue of "Bitches Brew" from Miles Davis and the new 5.1 surround mix of "Music From Big Pink" from the Band.

And last but not least, speculation time!
-Starting with Steven Wilson and his remixes: "This Was" from Jethro Tull and "Clutching at Straws" from Marillion appear to be the most likely remixes to be released this Fall. There will also be another remix from XTC, but it's not official yet what that title will be. On the RUSH front, there should be a 40th anniversary reissue of "Hemispheres", but it's not known at this time whether or not there will be any 5.1 surround mixes included. If there is a new remix from Gentle Giant, it will probably be "Free Hand", but again, there's hardly any news about that sort of thing right now. Finally, the outlier as always is "The Seeds of Love" from Tears for Fears. It's been completed for years, so will it finally arrive this year or continue to sit on the shelf?! (And I would die happy if Steven Wilson remixed Roxy Music's "For Your Pleasure"!)

-Beatles-related projects: Two big reissues are supposedly in the works for later this year, and there's a very good chance both of them will contain 5.1 surround sound on Blu-Ray. The first is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles' White Album, and the other release is supposed to be a big reissue of John Lennon's classic album "Imagine". I expect we will hear more about both of these releases starting next month.
-"Animals" from Pink Floyd: After the "Early Years" debacle, who would ever have imagined that we would get "Animals" in 5.1 surround this year, but according to a recent Roger Waters interview, that's supposed to happen! I'm predicting an Immersion-Style box set with Blu-Ray & DVD along with a single disc Multichannel SACD from Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds (also a box set release of "Animals" should confirm once and for all if the album was ever mixed in Quadraphonic)
-On the Rhino front, good sir ForagingRhino has already kindly alerted us to the release of the Doobie Brothers Quadio box set later this year, but I'm sure there might be a few more surprises in store (maybe a 40th anniversary box set for "The Cars"?!)
-Later this year we should also see both "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe" remixed and released in 5.1 surround from King Crimson, both in a box set and as CD/DVDA-V releases, just like the rest of the 40th anniversary series (http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tion-of-light-deluxe-box-some-details.757472/)

I think that's all I've got for now, except to say that there will surely be some surprises that we don't see coming. Aren't there always some of those?

:)

Last edited:
The wild card that I am hoping for this year is The Police. A while back Andy Summers was quoted as saying that a major reissue campaign was in the works for 2018 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of their debut LP. I would love to see those five albums get a Jethro Tull style treatment (with lossless 5.1 mixes, of course!)

Also, might we expect another Alan Parsons Project box this year? My first choice would be I Robot. They seem to like anniversary releases in this series though so maybe we'll get Pyramid since it's celebrating its 40th this year.

I'd like to see some early Police too, especially Zenyatta Mondatta and Regatta de Blanc. But the titles I'm really salivating for are Clutching at Straws, Gentle Giant Free Hand, and Parsons Pyramid or I Robot. More Roxy Music would be nice. Especially Siren, as its my fave. Oh, and Animals too! Gotta have that.

So far this has been a disappointing year from my perspective. We've had new releases but none that I have any interest in. The only multichannel music I've bought since Marillion's Misplaced Childhood last year has been classical music on SACD. I would be happy to get just one of the titles I mentioned. Marillion and PF Animals are looking promising but I'll believe it when they're in my hot little hands.

The wild card that I am hoping for this year is The Police. A while back Andy Summers was quoted as saying that a major reissue campaign was in the works for 2018 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of their debut LP. I would love to see those five albums get a Jethro Tull style treatment (with lossless 5.1 mixes, of course!)

Also, might we expect another Alan Parsons Project box this year? My first choice would be I Robot. They seem to like anniversary releases in this series though so maybe we'll get Pyramid since it's celebrating its 40th this year.

I definitely fancy the idea of a 35th anniversary reissue (with 5.1 surround) of "Synchronicity", but apart from that record and "Ghost in the Machine", I'm not sure how the other records will translate to 5.1 surround, especially since those first three records are very basic, but if they want to try, I'm all up for it!

As for Alan Parsons, I think he's said in a recent interview that there's no other box sets planned for now, although they may look into a similar reissue for "Turn of a Friendly Card" in 2020 for that album's 40th anniversary.

I love all The Police albums, but if had to choose only one to get a Surround release, I’d pick Ghost In The Machine. I feel that one would sound the best with all the synthesizer sounds. Of course, I would take any of them mixed into Surround Sound but the other two I’d most want is Zenyatta Mondatta followed by Syncronicity.

If I had to choose one song as my upmost favorite, that would have to be Syncronicity II. I played that one to death, really loud, over and over, and never get tired of it.

The only other Alan Parsons Project albums I would like to see get the Surround treatment would be, I Robot, Pyramid, Eve and Turn Of A Friendly Card. I have a soft spot for Ammonia Avenue and Vulture Culture but all the other albums contain only hit/miss songs for me.

As far as Tears For Fears, I got so tired of waiting for the release of The Seeds Of Love, I practically don’t care anymore if it never gets released.

I’m with you, Ryan. Guns N’ Roses does absolutely nothing for me but give me comic relief when I make fun of Axel Rose’s singing. :LOL:

For me it would be the Beatles reissues and the 5.1 mix of The White Album , maybe next year.........Abbey Road.

And finally some movement in surround with Tangerine Dream via S.W.

And it should be time enough for some studio albums in surround from Led Zeppelin upcoming remasters , at least I'm hoping for some as they are running out of live reisues.

Also would be sweet to see more 5.1movement from the Roxy Music camp with their early catalog titles.

Since we're now over halfway through the year, I thought it might be a good time to take a look back at the good, bad, and even ugly from this year so far and also speculate a little more about what could be coming in the next 6 months.

The Good (So Far...):
-Dutton Vocalion are slaying it yet again with 9 Quadraphonic SACDs that contain a total of 16 Quadraphonic albums. I have yet to receive my Poco & Johnnie Taylor SACDs but I've thoroughly enjoyed the Art Garfunkel, Rick Derringer, Guess Who, and Hues Corporation SACDs. DV continue to be the best reissue company for Sony-owned Quadraphonic mixes, and I'm sure they will have at least a few more SACDs for the rest of the year too!
-My favorite releases of the year (so far) have once again been the fabulous 5.1 remixes from Steven Wilson. "Brave", "Heavy Horses", and (especially) "Roxy Music" continue to be played over and over again, and I can't wait to see what other remixes are lined up for later this year. (More on that later...)

The Not So Good (even bad & ugly...)
-"Fleetwood Mac": Great album and mix, but the DVD definitely suffers from subpar audio quality, no doubt as a result of the Dolby Digital encoding.
-I've also been a lot less impressed with "Barclay James Harvest" and Mansun's "Attack of the Grey Lantern". The latter record is particularly disappointing in 5.1, one of the least impressive mixes I have ever heard.

Finally, I have never been a big Guns N Roses fan, but people seem to like the new 5.1 surround mix, so even despite the expense, I would consider this release a win for those that like it.

Now, on to the future!
-I am very happy for all of you who will finally get to hear the great 5.1 surround mix of "Eye in the Sky" from the Alan Parsons Project when the single disc Blu-Ray is released. It's one of the best 5.1 surround mixes of 2017 and it's definitely worthy of the Surround Sound Grammy!
-Despite the expense, I'm also looking forward to both the Quadraphonic reissue of "Bitches Brew" from Miles Davis and the new 5.1 surround mix of "Music From Big Pink" from the Band.

And last but not least, speculation time!
-Starting with Steven Wilson and his remixes: "This Was" from Jethro Tull and "Clutching at Straws" from Marillion appear to be the most likely remixes to be released this Fall. There will also be another remix from XTC, but it's not official yet what that title will be. On the RUSH front, there should be a 40th anniversary reissue of "Hemispheres", but it's not known at this time whether or not there will be any 5.1 surround mixes included. If there is a new remix from Gentle Giant, it will probably be "Free Hand", but again, there's hardly any news about that sort of thing right now. Finally, the outlier as always is "The Seeds of Love" from Tears for Fears. It's been completed for years, so will it finally arrive this year or continue to sit on the shelf?! (And I would die happy if Steven Wilson remixed Roxy Music's "For Your Pleasure"!)

-Beatles-related projects: Two big reissues are supposedly in the works for later this year, and there's a very good chance both of them will contain 5.1 surround sound on Blu-Ray. The first is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles' White Album, and the other release is supposed to be a big reissue of John Lennon's classic album "Imagine". I expect we will hear more about both of these releases starting next month.
-"Animals" from Pink Floyd: After the "Early Years" debacle, who would ever have imagined that we would get "Animals" in 5.1 surround this year, but according to a recent Roger Waters interview, that's supposed to happen! I'm predicting an Immersion-Style box set with Blu-Ray & DVD along with a single disc Multichannel SACD from Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds (also a box set release of "Animals" should confirm once and for all if the album was ever mixed in Quadraphonic)
-On the Rhino front, good sir ForagingRhino has already kindly alerted us to the release of the Doobie Brothers Quadio box set later this year, but I'm sure there might be a few more surprises in store (maybe a 40th anniversary box set for "The Cars"?!)
-Later this year we should also see both "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe" remixed and released in 5.1 surround from King Crimson, both in a box set and as CD/DVDA-V releases, just like the rest of the 40th anniversary series

I think that's all I've got for now, except to say that there will surely be some surprises that we don't see coming. Aren't there always some of those?

:)

I WISH we would get more of those Fleetwood Mac NOT SO GOOD Dolby Digital releases...…and also some more rock titles like Guns and Roses which you described as "nails on a chalkboard"..I love them both:hi

Last edited:
Back