Looking Forward to 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt Steven Wilson is slowing down on the remix front, focusing more on his solo career, but there's still probably some more things from him to look forward to:
-"Stormwatch" from Jethro Tull (already mentioned in this thread) is the most likely release for 2019 for its 40th anniversary.
-"The Seeds of Love" from Tears for Fears (also already mentioned in this thread) is always a contender because it's already finished, but if it doesn't come out this year, here's hoping for its release in 2019!
-There probably will also be a few more Gentle Giant remixes to come in the near future, like "Free Hand" and "Interview", especially since the band have all of the tapes for those albums.
-We were supposed to get another XTC remix this year, but that is now pushed back to next year, whatever it is. I'm hoping for the Dukes of Stratosphear!

Other things:
-Even though Steven Wilson is no longer remixing Marillion records, the reissues will continue next year, and I am hoping for "Afraid of Sunlight" and "Seasons End"
-King Crimson were supposed to release a box set covering the late 90s/early 00s period (as well as CD/DVDA-V releases of "The Construkction of Light" and "The Power to Believe") but it looks like that has been delayed. Hopefully we'll see these releases within the first half of 2019. LINK
-There should hopefully be more 5.1 mixes from the likes of Esoteric Recordings, especially from Barclay James Harvest & Be-Bop Deluxe
-Dutton Vocalion will naturally keep the Quadraphonic train rolling along, but there's still lots of titles to come out from them before the year is over!
-It also looks like the door is closing on the possibility of getting that "Animals" 5.1 mix from Pink Floyd this year, but if Roger Waters mentioned it, it must happen at some point, so if not this year, how about next year?

That's all for now, I think :)

50th (or 40th) anniversary reissues do seem likely candidates for "new" surround mixes. As such, 1969 is a great year on paper, lots of terrific albums. However, several key albums (Tommy, In the Court of the Crimson King, some Moody Blues) are already available. And I have somewhat mixed feelings towards these mega box sets where you have to buy a lot of so-so stuff and a lot of stuff you already own to get a high-res disc. Hence I don't even have Sgt Pepper and don't plan on getting The Beatles...and if (when?) an Abbey Road box comes out I will probably pass on that too unless there is a more affordable alternative.

There are a few that I would really love to see in surround and would probably stretch a bit to get though;

Led Zep 1 and 2 would probably be top of the list. Both would make great surround candidates...imagine the middle section of Whole Lotta Love in surround! I don't know how Jimmy Page feels about surround, but he certainly does seem to try to keep Led Zeppelin in the public eye. Unfortunately those reissues from a few years back were extremely underwhelming. High-res reissues with added surround would be a different story.

Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left was mentioned, and I'd love to see that. Contrary to a lot of other people, I love the Treasury disc. Not all the surround mixes are great, but the Bryter Layter ones most definitely are, and really enhance the overall experience.

Santana's first album is probably a less likely candidate for a major/50th reissue. But there is a quad mix, and perhaps the Japanese will do it justice? I'd pay good money for one of those LP replica reissues.

The first Allman Brothers Band album came out in 1969, and a 50th anniversary reissue seems like a reasonable thing to expect. I don't know how it was recorded though or whether it would make a good surround candidate, but we can hope. As we all know, there is already a surround version of Idlewild South, FIllmore East (complete) and Eat a Peach. Let's make the Duane era complete!

Creedence - bring them on, every one of them!

I should be able to come up with even more 1969 choices, but my mind is going blank right now.

Then there's Animals which everyone is still waiting for, anniversary or not.

I fully expect another XTC reissue sometime next year, and that will be an auto-buy.

Overall though, we may have to put our trust in our friends at Dutton Vocalion and Sony Japan to exploit the quad vaults further. I really don't have a good overview of what's to find in the vaults, let alone what we can expect Dutton Vocalion to be able to license, but here's a few titles I would love to see next year:
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Santana - III, Caravanserai, Welcome, Borboletta
Santana/McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity, Apocalypse (if it exists, that would be HUGE for me)
Miles Davis - Live/Evil

I just learned that there was a quad mix of Todd Rundgren's Initiation. There's no anniversary (1975 release) but OMG...that one would absolutely *kill* in surround. Even the largely unlistenable second side (first 8 minutes are great, then it kinda goes on and on) would be interesting. But the first album side is Todd in full-on God mode.

Michael Dutton, are you receiving me? ;-)

While I don't expect any new material to come out, 1969 is the 50th anniversary of one of the most audacious album ever released - Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica."
50 years later and it still can send people running from the room screaming (not me, of course)!

50th (or 40th) anniversary reissues do seem likely candidates for "new" surround mixes. As such, 1969 is a great year on paper, lots of terrific albums. However, several key albums (Tommy, In the Court of the Crimson King, some Moody Blues) are already available.

I heard there might be a new remix of ITCOTCK on the horizon, since someone at DGM found multi-tracks previously thought to be long gone. I would suspect a box (replacing the 2009 one which is already OOP) featuring the new remix and the debut of the album on Blu would be the final KC box and what a release it could be.

I heard there might be a new remix of ITCOTCK on the horizon, since someone at DGM found multi-tracks previously thought to be long gone. I would suspect a box (replacing the 2009 one which is already OOP) featuring the new remix and the debut of the album on Blu would be the final KC box and what a release it could be.

Sigh. <opens wallet, dumps on ground>

I don't think the album would be remixed again, but I do think there will be a new box set with the 2009 remixes on Blu-Ray, and there should also be a lot of new extra material to be included as well.

:)

At a meet and greet I attended last year, Dave Singleton said that a new box for ITCOTCK with further discovered material was in the works...

Thanks for those links. Ash Ra Tempel and Cosmic Jokers in quad. Oh boy. No need for SanDOZZZ if you've got those...

Back