Looking Forward to 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, I forgot one of my all time top 10 albums; Rolling Stones' Let It Bleed. It is an extremely worthy candidate for a 50th set, but it doesn't look like the Stones are doing that thing. No announcement for Beggars Banquet (yet) which has its anniversary in December(?) this year. Parts of Let It Bleed (Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man) would sound terrific in a nice surround mix.

So who thinks we may see some Joni Mitchell in surround this year? Court and Spark and The Hissing of Summer Lawns both exist in quad. Neither of them have an anniversary next year (well, 45 for C&S), but you never know. Both are instant purchases for me.

hal- I think he was referring to Animals from Pink Floyd, not The Animals (Yes, have the sacd/dsd Retrospective, along with Searchers and Hermits). Personally, I love the Blues based Animals, no love of the flower power Animals....songs were just ugh....
Oh, no! Don’t bring me down...

So who thinks we may see some Joni Mitchell in surround this year? Court and Spark and The Hissing of Summer Lawns both exist in quad. Neither of them have an anniversary next year (well, 45 for C&S), but you never know. Both are instant purchases for me.

The only thing I can envision from Joni is a next year 50th anniversary edition of Clouds...not surround.....

Well it wouldn’t be from D-V because they don’t seem to reissue stuff from Warner/Rhino (so far just 99% Sony and 1 or 2 Universal), meaning Warner/Rhino would have to release it themselves. Their quad reissues have been sporadic at best, so I probably wouldn’t count on it.

Court & Spark is a rather interesting quad mix anyway- the drums are completely through the rear channels in stereo. Sort of similar to the Mahavishnu Orchestra Birds Of Fire quad mix.

Before we get to the 1969/50th anniversary celebrations, 1968 reissues are still popping up. The Rolling Stones' Beggars Banquet is the latest one to be announced. In stark contrast to The White Album, this contains virtually no bonus material.

I'll stick with my SACD w/obi -- no surround? Meh.

But this just in from The Second Disc:

In 2019, ABKCO will revisit The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Originally filmed for the BBC, the December 1968 concert featured the Stones alongside John Lennon and Yoko Ono with Eric Clapton; The Who; Marianne Faithfull; Jethro Tull; and other artists. Unhappy with their six-song set, the Stones shelved the footage. The Who’s segment was included years later in the documentary The Kids Are Alright, but the Circus remained largely unseen until 1996 when ABKCO released the complete show. The 2019 reissue will feature the film on DVD or Blu-ray in DolbyVision video and Dolby Atmos audio; a new, full-color booklet; and CD and vinyl editions including several previously unreleased tracks. These include brief rehearsals from Lennon, Ono, Clapton, Keith Richards (on bass) and Mitch Mitchell (on drums) of “Revolution” and “Yer Blues.” Variety reports that, “Sadly, there is no new material from the Stones: While they played other songs during the taping — ‘Route 66’ and ‘Confessin’ the Blues,’ as well as a couple of solo acoustic blues numbers from Jagger — no recordings have emerged and it seems likely they were not recorded.”

The Who's catalogue, not least the Who's Next stuff, is in such a mess that a super deluxe box is almost inevitable. The 50th anniversary isn't that far away though, so you may have to hold your breath until 2021...That is one of the few albums though where I would almost certainly buy a super deluxe set, even without a surround mix (though I definitely *want* one).

...Led Zep I & 2...

A few people have mentioned these on this thread and I know it comes up on here fairly frequently... So, last night I was at a local comedy gig, Rich Hall for those interested. Robert Plant lives locally too and was sat just behind me at the show so during the interval I took the opportunity to sound him out over possible surround mixes. I have to say he had very little to no enthusiasm for them, I did my best to sell the virtues of surround and mentioned SW and some of the artists and albums that have been done, which he acknowledged. He basically said things like 'that stuff was in the past and that's where it should stay', 'a lot of it wasn't really that good anyway' and 'they sound better in mono!' at which point I expressed my surprise and said that I'd heard Jimmy was the one that wasn't into it and he said 'No, Jimmy's into all that, in fact he's into anything, but mainly S&M!' so make of that what you will...

Last edited:
A few people have mentioned these on this thread and I know it comes up on here fairly frequently... So, last night I was at a local comedy gig, Rich Hall for those interested. Robert Plant lives locally too and was sat just behind me at the show so during the interval I took the opportunity to sound him out over possible surround mixes. I have to say he had very little to no enthusiasm for them, I did my best to sell the virtues of surround and mentioned SW and some of the artists and albums that have being done, which he acknowledged. He basically said things like 'that stuff was in the past and that's where it should stay', 'a lot of it wasn't really that good anyway' and 'they sound better in mono!' at which point I expressed my surprise and said that I'd heard Jimmy was the one that wasn't into it and he said 'No, Jimmy's into all that, in fact he's into anything, but mainly S&M!' so make of that what you will...

Wow that’s great info thanks Simon! Shame that’s the way old Planty feels but c’est la vie. Obviously just not fussed about it. Still sometimes things get released without full artist approval (thinking of Van Morrison) so the dream goes on!

Lots of "wish lists" going on here for stuff that's very unlikely to happen - I'll just put down the ones that are known or at least very likely to come out:
XTC - whatever title it ends up being
P Floyd - Animals
J Tull - Stormwatch
T Dream - virgin era box
Marillion - whatever comes next....2 releases in 2019?
King Crimson - Court (have the older box but no doubt I'll buy another new one)
King Crimson - Heaven & Earth box (or individual discs depending on content and pricing)
Tim Bowness - Flowers at the Scene (no confirmation of surround yet but seems likely?)
Bruce Soord - second solo album?

Lots of "wish lists" going on here for stuff that's very unlikely to happen - I'll just put down the ones that are known or at least very likely to come out:
XTC - whatever title it ends up being
P Floyd - Animals
J Tull - Stormwatch
T Dream - virgin era box
Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight & Script for a Jester's Tear
King Crimson - Court (have the older box but no doubt I'll buy another new one)
King Crimson - Heaven & Earth box (or individual discs depending on content and pricing)
Tim Bowness - Flowers at the Scene (no confirmation of surround yet but seems likely?)
Bruce Soord - second solo album?

This is a GREAT list, which I will expand on!
Besides the ones mentioned above, how about:

The Beatles - Abbey Road (50th anniversary edition)
The Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream & To Our Children's Children's Children (50th anniversary editions)
The Band - S/T album (50th anniversary edition, maybe?!)
The Eagles - The Long Run (40th anniversary edition, maybe?!)
R.E.M. - Monster (25th anniversary edition, this one is confirmed on R.E.M.'s Facebook page by their manager Bertis Downs)
-and most importantly- Tears for Fears - The Seeds of Love (30th anniversary edition, finally?!)

We're also in need of some new Gentle Giant remixes from Steven Wilson, like "Free Hand" and "Interview"
Plus next year is the 30th anniversary of "Full Moon Fever" and the 25th anniversary of "Wildflowers" from Tom Petty. Will they mark these anniversaries with special releases of these albums?!

:)

Last edited:
Back