Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan passes...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP Danny K.
Saw F-Mac my first year of college, February '72, right before Bare Trees came out. (Instant purchase)
Middle of the bill between Long John Baldry [with Kirwan's future replacement Bob Weston] and Savoy Brown.

Jeremy Spencer had already run off with the Children of God cult.
By that autumn Danny had his breakdown and was fired.
Too much, too young, maybe...

The lineup with Kirwan and Bob Welch is my favorite.
Recently got The Original Album Series CD box with the four albums Danny played on.
Future Games and Bare Trees eventually went Gold and Platinum, but neither charted in the UK, barely made US Top 100.

Listening now in fake 5.1:

81oQkB9s7XL._SL1222_.jpg

After Peter Green left the band, someone had to step up to fill the void, but it didn't happen overnight. Mr. Kirwan seemed tentative at first, but one can hear on BARE TREES (1972) his growing confidence, maturity, and leadership not just in his guitar work, but his skills as a songwriter (I think it's as far as he got in terms of both). He really shines, even though Christine was her typical dusky self and Bob Welch stepped up with "Sentimental Lady," that album's best remembered track (and shoulda been hit). In the end, Danny was often underrated and obscured by Welch and McVie, but really, for TREES he was the glue that held it together.

RIP....

ED

Back