MAJOR problems with WinDVD 7 Platinum

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I apologize if this is old information that everyone else already knew, but it has come as a nasty surprise to me.
I will be writing to the manufacturers as well to demand an answer - and will post their reply here.
We all know InterVideo's WinDVD 6 Platinum was perhaps the first decent software DVD-A player, using the Creative Lies Fraudigy plugin to get DVD-A in 24/96 Multichannel on the desktop.
Well, we also all know that it was recently updated to version 7.
Word of warning to all:
DO NOT UPGRADE TO THIS VERSION.
It is hobbled!

There is a list of DVD-A it will not play, and I am trying to find out just what discs are included on this list.
I know for a fact it will not spin uo Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad at all, despite the same disc playing perfectly in version 6.
Bowie's Live albums half-work.
Most of the early Warner titles do not seem to work, yet will work in version 6.
ALL Home-Authored Hybrids (Audio_TS & Video_TS) created with discWelder CHROME will not spin up properly in the Audio_TS, but will open in Video_TS.
Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator authored hybrids work properly.

I have my suspicions about what has happened, but will not post these until I get evidence.
So - if anyone has the time to do this, will they download the trial version of this & see what DVD-A titles it will - and will not - play, and please tell me your findings?

My version of WinDVD is 7.0.27.71 and it'll play Everything Must Go, Tommy, Rumours, and Harvest (the only four dvd-a's I have). I have trouble with some of the menus on EMG but that's the only problem I noticed on any of the discs.

Home-mades made with Chrome play ok in the Audio_TS too.

I guess I'll never be upgrading from my current version!

Definitely do not change then.
The last build of WinDVD 7, before it went to version 8, is almost useless.
It won't play the titles mentioned above - and a lot more besides. Compared to 6, it is also clunky & awkward in operation - in version 6 you always know where you are. (In an Audio_TS, you are told plainly it is DVD-Audio. In v7, it is just not at all clear what is going on)
I'm just glad I used the trial version before "upgrading" my main workstation.

It will be interesting to hear what InterVideo have got to say, but my guess is the hacked MKB keys have been revoked, as was always going to happen, and as usual the minority who won't buy their titles are spoiling things for legitimate users.

In some (other) forums it was suggested around Jun 2006 that
DVD-audio support was removed from WinDVD7 (without any notice) shortly after the DVD ripping tools were released.
And indeed version 7.0 B27.0.071 was the one before that happened.
As I understood DVD-A has come back but apparently not the same. Or maybe it did work (half ways) because you upgraded your 6 version? There were more issues with WinDVD and sound on my computer.
BTW I see no mention of DVD-A anymore in the features on the WinDVD 8 site

I think PowerDVD works better in general (for DVD-A you need either the Max or the Deluxe (has DTS) version).

Last edited:
I went back to WinDVD 5. The later versions are crippled with regards to DVD-A.

I went back to WinDVD 5. The later versions are crippled with regards to DVD-A.

My copy (licensed) of WinDVD 6 Platinum, version 2.1.13.0 and file version 4.0 according to the properties of the installer, works just fine.
I "upgraded" one machine to 7.0, and at first it was fine, then on the last build of 7.0 it all went to hell and gone.
As GE Someone points out - there is now no mention of DVD-Audio at all on the InterVideo website.
I'm just appalled that a licensed copy was hobbled by InterVideo - without the buggers even telling me they were removing features!!!

Still no response from InterVideo.
I suspect that the problem was caused by the revoking of the CPPM keys that had been compromised.
Shame the idiots who did the hack never considered this possibility, but then again they wouldn't, would they?
And you cannot really blame the CP measures either. Okay, it is true that there should be a way to back up the discs, but the argument runs along the lines of "This was never an option with Vinyl, and when you scratched the record that was tough. Ditto for books - tear the pages and it's tough"
You don't get a perpetual "right" to the content unless you keep the thing pristine.

With HD DVD and Blu Ray, it will be even worse as compromised keys will cause the players to be reset - if the function gets implemented whereby a constant online connection is required, or even when a user decides to sample the "interactive" features that hook up to a website to access additional content (This is in the specs for both formats).
Any hacked keys, or even a hacked player (chipped to remove region controls, or any other form of DRM) will result in the player being disabled until reset at a service centre.

I'll try to find the references for this one, but it is coming.
That alone will probably kill off both formats.

Just as an aside comment - reel to reel tape recorders had been avaiable since the late 1940's, and many keen record collector backed up his new record onto tape on its first playing so that they could preseve the sould of their freshly purchased record before the 10 gram needle wore it out.

Still no response from InterVideo.
I suspect that the problem was caused by the revoking of the CPPM keys that had been compromised.
Shame the idiots who did the hack never considered this possibility, but then again they wouldn't, would they?
And you cannot really blame the CP measures either. Okay, it is true that there should be a way to back up the discs, but the argument runs along the lines of "This was never an option with Vinyl, and when you scratched the record that was tough. Ditto for books - tear the pages and it's tough"
You don't get a perpetual "right" to the content unless you keep the thing pristine.

With HD DVD and Blu Ray, it will be even worse as compromised keys will cause the players to be reset - if the function gets implemented whereby a constant online connection is required, or even when a user decides to sample the "interactive" features that hook up to a website to access additional content (This is in the specs for both formats).
Any hacked keys, or even a hacked player (chipped to remove region controls, or any other form of DRM) will result in the player being disabled until reset at a service centre.

I'll try to find the references for this one, but it is coming.
That alone will probably kill off both formats.

My copy (licensed) of WinDVD 6 Platinum, version 2.1.13.0 and file version 4.0 according to the properties of the installer, works just fine.
I "upgraded" one machine to 7.0, and at first it was fine, then on the last build of 7.0 it all went to hell and gone.
As GE Someone points out - there is now no mention of DVD-Audio at all on the InterVideo website.
I'm just appalled that a licensed copy was hobbled by InterVideo - without the buggers even telling me they were removing features!!!

I questioned "customer no service" a while back, the response was;
quote: "ppcm is ppcm". Whaaaaaat?
This while trying out the 7 Platinum version
and having problems with (commercial) DVDA playback.
Are these guys really linked with Creative???

Back