• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Making Quadraphonic and 5.1 files for music server

Cheezmo

300 Club - QQ All Star
If you are OK with 16/48, the newest AppleTV will play back lossless 5.1. You just have to convert it from flac to Apple Lossless and get the channel order right. It won't playback 4 channel correctly, but 5.0 and 5.1 work fine. Apple wants the channel order to be C, L, R, LR, RR, LFE. I've tested up to 24/192 but as I said the AppleTV will down convert it to 16/48.

The only tool I know that will convert from multichannel flac to multichannel Apple Lossless and map the channel order correctly is xACT. You then have to change the extension from .m4a to .m4p for iTunes and the AppleTV to recognize them.

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
I use J River 21 and had to convert the Chicago Quadio from 4.0 to 5.1 using Audiomuxer (with C and LFE empty) in order to get the 4 speakers playing properly - the initial 4.0 would play in FL, FR, C, and LFE..
How do you convert 4.0 files to 5.1 with AudioMuxer?

himey

800 Club - QQ All Star
How do you convert 4.0 files to 5.1 with AudioMuxer?
I am familiar with Audiomuxer but I couldn't tell you how to do it with that outstanding program, but using another free program, Audicity, it is a piece of cake. If you need help, let me know, my bet is you can figure it out yourself. Pretty intuitive program if you have used any that are similar. The difference is, it will output multichannel files rather than stereo with multiple tracks...

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
I just did most of the Chicago Quadio box using MakeMKV and then AudioMuxer (Extract Audio from MKV file) and I got perfect 24/192 4 channel .flac files with proper cue's and they play perfectly from a USB drive connected to my Oppo. No channel futzing required. Works great.
Doesn't MakeMKV generate DTS Core (24/48) files vs. 24/192 files from the Quadio box?
That's what it shows here.

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
I am familiar with Audiomuxer but I couldn't tell you how to do it with that outstanding program, but using another free program, Audicity, it is a piece of cake. If you need help, let me know, my bet is you can figure it out yourself. Pretty intuitive program if you have used any that are similar. The difference is, it will output multichannel files rather than stereo with multiple tracks...
Audicity looks pretty straight forward. If you have the steps to convert the 4.0 files to 5.1 by all means let me know what the steps are.
That will speed things along here with the Chicago Quadio conversions.

himey

800 Club - QQ All Star
Audicity looks pretty straight forward. If you have the steps to convert the 4.0 files to 5.1 by all means let me know what the steps are.
That will speed things along here with the Chicago Quadio conversions.
Rip with Makemkv and Audiomuxer. Load one song into Audicity. You will see the quad tracks (channels) in the display. Add two additional tracks into the interface. When you go to save as wav or flac, a little graphic will pop up. Configure the 5.1 to the proper layout as L,R,C,S,Ls,Rs.

To add the two additional audio tracks go to "Tracks", add new, audio track. Do that twice...

To save as wav or flac, go to edit, select, all. Then File, export selected audio.

You can skip the little graphic pop up, that routes the channels if you wish. Once you load the two extra silent tracks, simply move them up in the graphic interface to their proper position, which will be the 3rd and 4th slots. Locate either silent track, where it says "audio track" with the tiny arrow down, click it and hit "move up" to put it into the proper position in layout. Doing it like this will save time. Now when that little box pops up to route channels, just click OK or hit enter rather than making any changes to it...

bmoura

Friendly Moderator
Staff member
Rip with Makemkv and Audiomuxer. Load one song into Audicity. You will see the quad tracks (channels) in the display. Add two additional tracks into the interface. When you go to save as wav or flac, a little graphic will pop up. Configure the 5.1 to the proper layout as L,R,C,S,Ls,Rs.

To add the two additional audio tracks go to "Tracks", add new, audio track. Do that twice...

To save as wav or flac, go to edit, select, all. Then File, export selected audio.

You can skip the little graphic pop up, that routes the channels if you wish. Once you load the two extra silent tracks, simply move them up in the graphic interface to their proper position, which will be the 3rd and 4th slots. Locate either silent track, where it says "audio track" with the tiny arrow down, click it and hit "move up" to put it into the proper position in layout. Doing it like this will save time. Now when that little box pops up to route channels, just click OK or hit enter rather than making any changes to it...
This seems to work except when I go to Export Selected Audio. I get a Warning that the tracks will be mixed down to a Single Mono Channel in the exported file.
Hmm....

himey

800 Club - QQ All Star
This seems to work except when I go to Export Selected Audio. I get a Warning that the tracks will be mixed down to a Single Mono Channel in the exported file.
Hmm....

Goto edit, preferences, import/export, check, USE CUSTOM MIX! That should solve that...

MC Maniac

300 Club - QQ All Star
Not necessarily. If you play a quad with JRiver set to output 5.1, you have a separate option that lets you decide whether it will create/synthesize "an actual C and LFE" or not. In the latter case, which I use, JRiver does not create anything but simply redistributes the 4 channels so that, indeed, "the Ls and Rs do play in the proper speakers."
Thanks very much for this clarification! Indeed there is no need to convert 4.0 to 5.1 to play properly in JRiver..