Mansun's 'Six' - 5.1 remix coming in 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My copy of Mansun's Six arrived this morning with 5.1 mix by Paul 'PDub' Walton, is available in DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital AC3or 96/24 LPCM stereo on DVD.
The mix is discrete enough without tweaking any speakers, which is good. seems to be mainly backing vocals from the rears with the occasional instruments too. I don't trust my hearing at the moment at the tail end of a 3 week cold/man flu. but my sub sounds a bit boomy playing this which it isn't normally. There is constant repeating animation on screen as the music plays. The book has lots of reading material in it. So far I'm happy with this release I look forward to hearing more views as others receive their copies.

My copy of Mansun's Six arrived this morning with 5.1 mix by Paul 'PDub' Walton, is available in DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital AC3or 96/24 LPCM stereo on DVD.
The mix is discrete enough without tweaking any speakers, which is good. seems to be mainly backing vocals from the rears with the occasional instruments too. I don't trust my hearing at the moment at the tail end of a 3 week cold/man flu. but my sub sounds a bit boomy playing this which it isn't normally. There is constant repeating animation on screen as the music plays. The book has lots of reading material in it. So far I'm happy with this release I look forward to hearing more views as others receive their copies.
Are you able to comment on how this mix compares to the "Grey Lantern" mix?

Are you able to comment on how this mix compares to the "Grey Lantern" mix?

Centre's a bit prominent in the mix maybe and LFE perhaps a tad overcooked on a couple of tracks? i dunno, need to listen more.

also while its thankfully not overloud it is mastered kinda bright sounding without being hugely detailed so it grates a bit at high volume when you whack it up to try and pick everything out (i'm not describing it well but give it a listen and i think you might see what i'm on about?).

really i'm nitpicking though, the surround mix is very good, very active with loads of stuff popping up in the Rear channels to make you go "ooh" and "aah" over, definitely miles better than i remember the surround being on that Grey Lantern 5.1.
oh and the most important bit! musically, i love it! :love:

Gave my copy a couple of spins today and agree what has already been said. The mix is way better quality wise than lantern but the bass is very boomy on certain tracks, I've reduced my sub by -5db which has helped somewhat. The mix is again not that discreet with a few bits, mainly backing vocals in the rear. This is an album that would really benefit from a great surround mix because the music is very complex and layered but it doesn't quite deliver, which is a shame. Never the less it is still an amazing album, prob my favourite album from the 90's and this is a step up in quality from the CD plus there is such great content on the box set its a must have for any Mansun fan.

Mix: 4/5: Strange mix. Far from perfect but also often very good. A lot of up front sound. But also a lot in the rears at times. Weirdly, almost all lead vocals are in the rears. (I thought this was because I needed to reduce the rears slightly but there is a fairly clear demarcation between the front (drums, bass + other bits) and the rears (lead vox and other stuff) so it seemed intentional.) But this doesn't sound totally out of place because the whole album is willfully different. The sounds are fairly easy to place but do seem a little blurred, possibly due to the sound quality.

Sound: 2/5: Not awful, but there's a lot of sludge which means it's not easy to distinguish individual sounds. (Apparently the band recorded in a room with lots of spillage and intentionally 'dirtied up' the sound in post-production.)

Music: 4/5: A little too metal for me but catchy, lots of variety, interesting themes and I admire its ambition

Interesting book which gives a lot of insight into the writing. Generous length (70 mins of surround) + loads of extra tracks (CD only)

Score: 3*4+2*2+1*4=12+4+4=20/30=6.66/10 = 7/10.

Mix: 4/5: Strange mix. Far from perfect but also often very good. A lot of up front sound. But also a lot in the rears at times. Weirdly, almost all lead vocals are in the rears. (I thought this was because I needed to reduce the rears slightly but there is a fairly clear demarcation between the front (drums, bass + other bits) and the rears (lead vox and other stuff) so it seemed intentional.) But this doesn't sound totally out of place because the whole album is willfully different. The sounds are fairly easy to place but do seem a little blurred, possibly due to the sound quality.

Sound: 2/5: Not awful, but there's a lot of sludge which means it's not easy to distinguish individual sounds. (Apparently the band recorded in a room with lots of spillage and intentionally 'dirtied up' the sound in post-production.)

Music: 4/5: A little too metal for me but catchy, lots of variety, interesting themes and I admire its ambition

Interesting book which gives a lot of insight into the writing. Generous length (70 mins of surround) + loads of extra tracks (CD only)

Score: 3*4+2*2+1*4=12+4+4=20/30=6.66/10 = 7/10.
You probably wanna post that to the poll thread itself! DVD/DTS Poll - Mansun - SIX [DTS DVD]

Back