Manual for creating a hybrid surround DVDA from stereo CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure to have a tough time understanding that procedure. Before I even try, will this provide better results than just using Neo 6 or Logic 7 or some other processing done by surround receviers these days? I would hate to pull out what little hair I have remaining trying to do this and then find it wasn't worth the effort. It does look like a good manual at first glance.

Chris

Wow. My brain hurts!

I'm too dopey for that. If someone gets it to work, please give us the details.

I've made a few universal dvd-a's that played but wasn't real happy with the results. I used the 30-day trial DVD Lab Pro to create the video_ts side. Delete the movie and use the 'audio only title.' You can use two audio streams with this, audio 1 will be the ac3 stream and audio 2 will be the DTS stream. Your ac3 files can be appended together using the command line and the command 'copy /b 01.ac3+02.ac3+03.ac3 new.ac3' (I picked that up from this forum I think). The individual DTS wavs can be appended together in a wav editor. Note down the track times. You might want to create a 740x480 still image for each song. The two streams and the still images go into the 'assets' window.

Drag the ac3 stream into audio1 of the audio only title, drag the DTS stream into audio2, right click somewhere on the title screen area and select 'add chapters manually' and type in the track start times. Drag your still into each chapter. Make 3 menus, one for the dts/dd selection as your root menu, and two with the tracklists for the streams. Right click each menu item to set the link. Link the menus up in the 'connections' window. Debug to check the links, then compile.

For the audio_ts side, in the top panel of Chrome navigate to the folder where your MLP's are, double-click each one in order to add them to the tracklist in the bottom panel. Right click each track to rename it. In the track properties you can add the same still you used on the video_ts side and set its properties. After you rename all the tracks, open the album properties and name it, then edit the generated menu. It will bring up the track names on the menu, already linked. You can import a 740x480 graphic for the background if you want. Set the colors and font, then hit okay. (This generated menu looks pretty crummy but it functions). Import your video_ts you created in DVD Lab Pro and hit ok. Create the disc image. Rename it to .iso and burn in nero.

Or if you don't care about DTS (or don't have a dts stream), you can skip the video_ts creation part and first set up the mlp's in Chrome, then use the 'mirror vts' option in the album properties and it will create the video_ts side for you (at least I think it's supposed to), encoding the ac3 from the mlp's. I haven't tried this though.

The only problem is the audio and video sides can't see each other. In a dvd-a player all you'll see is the generated tracklist, you won't be able to access anything from the video side. In a dvd player all you'll see is the opening dts/dd selection menu. The Chrome help file doesn't tell you how to link them together, nor does it tell you anything about creating a custom menu (if you want to forego using their crappy one).

Last edited:
The only problem is the audio and video sides can't see each other. In a dvd-a player all you'll see is the generated tracklist, you won't be able to access anything from the video side. In a dvd player all you'll see is the opening dts/dd selection menu. The Chrome help file doesn't tell you how to link them together, nor does it tell you anything about creating a custom menu (if you want to forego using their crappy one).
Er - only if you do it the way you mention!
Once a Video_TS has been imported to a DVD-A app, it is perfectly possible to access all the content in the Video_TS from the menu system of the Audio_TS.
Just takes a bit of work. And a custom menu. You'll need to read the manual though.

Back